Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 11:31 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,818,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate View Post
Hi:

I am planning to furnish my house with new living room set for family and game room, bedroom sets (one king set and 2 queen sets), lots of paintings, wall decor, storage bench for entryway, patio set and rugs for 4 bathrooms, family and dining.

I like traditional furniture and don't want to spend too much. Just to give an idea of what I would like to spend: bedroom sets for $1000 for King, $1500 for couch set.

Please advice where I can buy these in that price range.

Thanks.
What is "traditional" furniture btw...

We faced this same dilemma, did exhaustive research..Just adjust your expectations as to what you will get. I wouldn't expect anything at this price point for bedrooms sets to stand the test of time. The quality will most definitely be thin veneers covering soft woods stripped from the Forests of China and Vietnam. There are maybe two manufactures who use actual North American Hardwoods anymore. Ethan Allen and Cabot. We chose to get something we could leave to our kids.

Yet another beloved American industry we destroyed and sold to China.

Last edited by skids929; 01-27-2012 at 11:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 11:31 AM

31 posts, read 68,814 times
My husband and I just purchased a sofa and loveseat from LaZBoy for about $2000. I saw a commercial yesterday saying that they were having a huge sale - so you may be able to go there and find something within your price range. We haven't had it delievered yet, so I can't speak to the quality - but I think that LaZBoy is a well respected brand (and they have a lot more than just recliners!)

Old 01-27-2012, 03:46 PM

574 posts, read 1,478,576 times
If you go the inexpensive route you just have to know what to look for. Inexpensive doesn't have to mean disposable.

Our family room set from 1994, purchased for all of $900 at Sears, has stood the test of time. It is an oversize sofa with queen sleeper and matching love seat. We almost got rid of it when we moved but decided it was still worth saving because the seating has remained sturdy, and because of the queen sleeper bed. It now furnishes our upstairs den. The only change was getting rid of the dated print on the back cushions; I am about to recover the seat cushions because the seams are finally starting to fray.

Here in DFW we like Weir's. And there are some nice, not too expensive things to be found at Guttman's (far south on Inwood, next to Crate and Barrell Outlet).

Old 01-27-2012, 04:40 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mami2emily View Post
If you go the inexpensive route you just have to know what to look for. Inexpensive doesn't have to mean disposable.

Our family room set from 1994, purchased for all of $900 at Sears, has stood the test of time. It is an oversize sofa with queen sleeper and matching love seat. We almost got rid of it when we moved but decided it was still worth saving because the seating has remained sturdy, and because of the queen sleeper bed. It now furnishes our upstairs den. The only change was getting rid of the dated print on the back cushions; I am about to recover the seat cushions because the seams are finally starting to fray.

Here in DFW we like Weir's. And there are some nice, not too expensive things to be found at Guttman's (far south on Inwood, next to Crate and Barrell Outlet).
I think you're overlooking two things... One, that $900 inflation adjusted to now, is $1400. So it's already at what his stated budget was. Two, things are made a lot more cheaply today than they were in the early-mid 90's. I'm not surprised your sofa has lasted... I bought a leather sofa in 96, had it until 3-4 years ago, when my wife made me sell it after she bought her crappy Ashley Furniture. That was a decorating mistake that I'll never let her forget!

Old 01-27-2012, 04:47 PM

662 posts, read 1,451,103 times
Craig's List is amazing. I sold a beautiful set of bunk beds/dresser that looked like new for 1/3 of the price I paid for it when I moved from Plano.

Now that I have moved to Albuquerque, I bought a beautiful buffet and hutch for 200 bucks while a new one was at least 3000 k. We also got a solid cedar chest, which we painted in fun, funky colors for 40 bucks, and a desk with matching credenza for 300 bucks.

I wouldn't want to buy used upholstered furniture and certainly not mattresses. I'd be worried about bugs or something. I am now looking for patio furniture.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:27 PM

372 posts, read 710,718 times
This is an idea to add to the others, you could pick up some really good deals at resale shops. I went to CCA Resale yesterday over in Carrollton and they had beautiful traditonal armoires and tables for little of nothing.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:52 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
agree -- some of the resell/consignment stores in DFW area carry some very high-end furniture when it was new
Craigs List can also have possibilities--many people still moving from house to apt and need to get rid of excess furniture

one word of advice--
bed bugs--
bed bugs are pretty rampant in some parts of the country--not just in hotel rooms either
they can dwell in any furniture that has cracks/seams/crevices or any hidden/dark area in any kind of furniture--upholstery, wood, plastic...
it does not have to be mattresses or bedroom furniture per se although those are the ones most likely to be contaminated

take a strong flashlight and a magnifying glass when you go to look at resale furniture items

Old 01-29-2012, 07:26 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katefrisco View Post
I would recommend shopping at some Estate Sales. Also one of the nicest (IMHO) consignment shops in Dallas is called Consignment Heaven. They more often than not get very nice pieces for consignment. They are on Henderson Street off of Central Expressway (I75). Their prices are very reasonable for what you get.
HTH
Consignment is a great place to look first. Can buy better stuff for the same as new and there are some great higher end places which still offer good deals. One on Beltline just East of NDT, near Montford restaurant row. Another in Plano is Consignere I believe it is spelled. Its in the shoping area off Preston where Weirs, Breadwinners etc are. Both have large selections with high end to more middle market priced stuff in stock and in inventory or coming in if you dont have to have it right now and can wait a few weeks. Downsizing has made this a huge successful source of great stuff.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:44 PM

8 posts, read 24,766 times
Default Thanks.

Thank you all very much for the great suggestions.

I went to Weirs y'day and I will keep looking since I don't need the furniture before April.

Looking at online stores too.

Thanks again.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:32 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate View Post
Thank you all very much for the great suggestions.

I went to Weirs y'day and I will keep looking since I don't need the furniture before April.

Looking at online stores too.

Thanks again.
Near Weirs is a consignment shop, the Consignerie I believe it is called. They have some high quality furniture at bargain prices and the condition is like new. All styles so some traditional as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas