Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 08:48 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,473,607 times

Advertisements

I have a new job downtown that does not offer paid parking (not even for the big shots) so I thought I would take the train - Red Line from Arapaho station to Akard. I did it for the first 4 days of my job and I had to give it up. It was a sheer beating.

First, it takes way too long. By the time I drove to the station, parked, bought a ticket, walked to the train (under Greenville Ave.), waited for the train, rode the train, got off and walked 3 blocks to the highrise it was anywhere from 1 hour and 5 minutes to 1 hour and 15 minutes. This is 15 driving miles away.

Second, during rush hour it is standing room only. So there you are crammed in with a bunch of other people, some with bikes, standing up. So for over an hour you are on your feet, walking, trying to balance. One day I counted 17 of us, one with a bike, standing in the small front part of the train near the doors. Some people sit on the stairs in the stairwell, but I'm all dressed up and not about to do that. It's very crowded. It's very similar to being on a crowded elevator but you're stuck there for 30-45 minutes (trains are delayed in the rain).

Third, some of the teens who ride the train to school are a bit rowdy. I saw 2 of them get arrested one morning. I don't know what they did wrong but DART police had them handcuffed and they were putting them in the police car. There were about 30 kids in this particular pack and I saw them every morning and they were loud and obnoxious. Also, homeless people are on the train sleeping and I guess they just ride the train back and forth and sleep, taking up 2 seats of course.

So, I started driving my own car. I found a $2.50 lot. It takes me 30-35 minutes to make the drive, park, walk to the building. I get to listen to the radio. Riding the train stressed me out so much and I was really wanting to like it so I am a bit disappointed. In a crunch it's there and I'm glad, but every day, no way. It's emotionally and physically draining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 09:30 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,242,540 times
yes, yes, and yes! I try to like public transportation, I really do, but its just so awful.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:57 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,894,005 times
During peak rush hour times it is crowded and can be a pain. During the non peak times it is much more relaxing. I have friends that take the bus from a Park & Ride that is a straight thru to downtown and love it.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:58 PM

937 posts, read 2,908,309 times
Over an hour from greenville? Are you talking about the Park Lane station? I've taken the train from the Plano station(the farthest one) and it would take about 50 mins from what I recall. This was several years ago and yes it does get crowded. Have the schedules changed that much that it takes over an hour from park lane? Was there a delay of some sort?

Old 09-14-2007, 06:58 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,598,824 times
The OP stated it takea 1hr 5min to 1hr 15min from his front door to the office, so this included driving to the station, walking to the train, waiting for the train, riding the train and walking to the office.

He then says that same door-to-office scenario takes 30-35min in a car.

So, IMO, this is a fair comparison. My experience when driving from Allen to downtown -vs- taking DART is that it took about 5-10 mins longer on the DART, but DART was consistent, whereas driving on Central meant I was at the mercy of accidents, which could easily add another 30-45 minutes to the drive (which happened on average once a week). For me, when I lived in Allen, DART was the more attractive option.

It was definitely packed during rush hour - so I rode early (otherwise I couldn't get a parking spot in the Plano station). I still usually gave up my seat after a few stops to an elderly person if one was standing.

If DART were to add another set of tracks, add an express route from the further north stations, double parking at all the "park and ride" stations and increase peak train frequency - I fully believe they would drastically increase ridership. Of course this may need to wait until they add the second downtown line (there's already backups downtown with the trains).

Brian

Old 09-14-2007, 09:45 AM

1,004 posts, read 3,756,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
I fully believe they would drastically increase ridership.
Which means you will still not get a seat in a crowded train.

I've ridden the NYC subway, London Tube, Paris Metro, Seoul Subway, Tokio Subway, Munich Subway, Linz public transportation and Vienna subway - all of which are massive compared to DART and ALL are crowded during peak times.

Popular public transportation is always crowded during peak times in my experience.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:08 AM

65 posts, read 314,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post
Popular public transportation is always crowded during peak times in my experience.
Exactly..just like the freeways. As someone pointed out, it's the consistency that's a huge factor when choosing public transportation. It amazes me that many of my coworkers who live in distant surburbs that have access to DART don't use it. It seems the ones that do are always at work on time (usually early). And those that don't are late at least twice a week or more. I would still rather be on a crowded rail car that's moving while I'm reading a book or listening to my IPOD than sitting on a traffic jammed freeway burning gas.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:18 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,963,956 times
Why People Don't Use Mass Transit

Old 09-14-2007, 10:36 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,598,824 times
The danger of DART - on my way home, I used to fall asleep all the time. Luckily, I was on the last stop at the time. I've woken up and the train was empty several times.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:44 AM

937 posts, read 2,908,309 times
HAHA yes I feel asleep a few times too...woke up not knowing where I was and hoping I hadn't missed my stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas