Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 09:06 PM

23 posts, read 75,325 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking of doing a new construction build in either Frisco or Mckinney. I'm thinking of maybe somewhere off of Custer/121 in Frisco or off of Mallard Lakes in Mckinney. Which area do you think would be the better investment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 09:37 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,325,114 times
In terms of appreciation...neither.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:41 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,102,959 times
I'm a little biased, but think McKinney is a better investment. The new Bonnie Wenk park/pavillion area will be down the road and the indoor/outdoor aquatic/fitness center (pending final financing) will just to the North of you off of Hardin & White.

The lots are bigger in the Mallard Lakes area as well.

http://www.mckinneytexas.org/uploadedFiles/Cultural_and_Recreational_Services/Parks_and_Recreation/McKinney_Parks/Bonnie%20Wenk%20Phase%201.pdf (broken link)

Old 05-03-2012, 07:52 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,119,998 times
You are being rather specific in location for McKinney, but just saying "Frisco" is rather vague. On average, McKinney lots are larger than Frisco, but that doesn't hold true for all neighborhoods. I live near Mallard Lakes myself, and it's a very nice area.

However, I wouldn't count on either location as being an investment. Homes in the suburbs (whether it's Plano, Richardson, Frisco, Mckinney, etc...) simply don't appreciate much in value. Or at least, historically they haven't.

In the DMN a week or two ago there was an article about the metroplex and which areas were the hottest areas to buy, McKinney homes were selling at a >26% rate vs last year, which was the highest rate of growth for any suburb in all of DFW.

But if you really want to get some bang for your buck and some instant equity, you'll have a better shot by buying a foreclosure or preowned than by building new.

I will say this, my home has gone up by over 20k in the tax records over the last two years, while my friend's home in Frisco has stayed constant. Take that with a grain of salt though, because there's a lot of factors there that don't necessarily hold true for all of McKinney/Frisco.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:17 AM

383 posts, read 734,073 times
McK is right - homes in the burbs are not an investment so go with your gut.

Personally I like McKinney has far more charm than Frisco but YMMV.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:36 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,868,611 times
Frisco has better shopping.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:38 AM

1,011 posts, read 2,465,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
I'm a little biased, but think McKinney is a better investment. The new Bonnie Wenk park/pavillion area will be down the road and the indoor/outdoor aquatic/fitness center (pending final financing) will just to the North of you off of Hardin & White.

The lots are bigger in the Mallard Lakes area as well.

http://www.mckinneytexas.org/uploadedFiles/Cultural_and_Recreational_Services/Parks_and_Recreation/McKinney_Parks/Bonnie%20Wenk%20Phase%201.pdf (broken link)
What about the 'potential' Arts of Collin County facility near 121/Custer?

Old 05-03-2012, 11:31 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,190,704 times
If you are doing a new build and you want to make money you should probably do it in a high-demand in town location such as North Dallas, Park Cities or Lakewood. Frisco and McKinney are far outside of town and you would be competing with corporate builders and their mass production, market research, economies of scale and preferred financing.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:50 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,822,510 times
Frisco stinks, overall small lots, zero charm. Mallard Lakes on the other hand COMPLETE opposite when it comes to lot sizes and overall beauty of the area. I have to be honest, and take it for what it's worth from a window shopper from the Northeast..Out of just about ALL the areas I have seen in the DFW suburbs Mallard Lakes area was one of the most memorable for me. I loved the rolling hills, the larger lots, proximity to highways, and general feel of the area. South of Virginia too, which is the preferred area in Mckinney, so values should hold a little better. Overall I LOVED IT.

I wouldn't even consider Frisco because it has shopping (which makes it more congested) unless the (very small) differences in schools were concern. My biggest contention with that area is that it's in Mckinney, which is far out overall from my family members, and only about 30% built out, which is why you might not see appreciation-in your lifetime. But if you are considering Frisco, who cares, both are same longitude/latitude. I choose Mckinney all day long when it comes to emotional reasons to buy a home, that area was very nice and worked for us with the exception of no Catholic schools close-by, and a little bit of a ride to see family in Southlake.

It's really a nice area though overall, which is why it's grown so much. But the points people here make about appreciation in the suburbs are in fact a sad reality you have to come to grips with before you make your final decision.

Last edited by skids929; 05-03-2012 at 12:58 PM..

Old 05-03-2012, 12:55 PM

325 posts, read 757,672 times
First response had it right. If you're looking at this as an investment, neither, and I don't know that I'd be investing in housing regardless, unless you get a really good deal on a foreclosure or short sale, and even then, return is not going to be quick.

If you're asking which is the better place to live, the answer is, it depends. Where's work, do you have kids of school age, what are the things you consider important in housing and neighborhoods, and most importantly, how long are you planning on staying. Either could be preferred depending on those answers, or there could be yet another, better option...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas