Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2012, 03:44 PM

3,835 posts, read 4,442,278 times

Advertisements

The wife and I are looking to buy a home this year...we have been checking out Woodbridge in Sachse/Wylie...looking at preowned homes. The area is very pretty, lots of people out and about...yet one thing that stood out...there are a LOT of houses up for sale, we counted 4 on one street alone. Is this just a normal part of the hard economic times we are in, or is it a deeper sign of decline for Woodbridge causing homeowners to bail?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 06:28 PM

6,820 posts, read 14,034,515 times
It's just a sign of the times. Go to any neighborhood and you will see lots of homes on the market.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:07 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
In a healthy neighborhood, at any given time, you should see about 10% turnover for the year. Not a big deal, though it might seem like a lot.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:06 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,257,217 times
There are around 60 homes on the market in Woodbrige including new construction ones.

It's not a huge number for a masterplanned community that huge. The one thing with a neighborhood like that is many people who purchased there when the neighborhood opened up and were first time homebuyers, have turned their entry level homes into a rental and purchased newer from higher end builders.

Overall, it's still a nice community.

Naima

Old 05-04-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
There are around 60 homes on the market in Woodbrige including new construction ones.

It's not a huge number for a masterplanned community that huge. The one thing with a neighborhood like that is many people who purchased there when the neighborhood opened up and were first time homebuyers, have turned their entry level homes into a rental and purchased newer from higher end builders.

Overall, it's still a nice community.

Naima

hmmm, so there are more rentals in that development? I'm not sure I want to buy a home surrounded by rentals due to all the problems that can bring.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:46 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,614,872 times
My brother and his wife live there and like it. The only think I don't care for is the lots in the area where he lives are tiny. But they are retired and not into yard work, so it is good for them. Overall, it's a nice community from what I've seen.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:34 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,257,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
hmmm, so there are more rentals in that development? I'm not sure I want to buy a home surrounded by rentals due to all the problems that can bring.

They have a strong HOA and the rents aren't that cheap, I wouldn't let that thought stop you, just continue doing the homework as you have.

Naima

Old 05-23-2012, 06:16 AM

4 posts, read 11,941 times
I have counted a total of (7) home rentals in Woodbridge as of this post. (5) of those are located in the northern Wylie section.

As the previous poster said, they are priced well, $1,500 to $2,300.

I have sent a letter to the HOA to ask about any rental restrictions, and why there might be so many new rentals in the area. Granted it might just be a sign of the times, but in Texas home purchasing has been on the rise, so I am a little doubtful.

I will update once I hear back from the HOA.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:31 AM

There also seem to be quite a few foreclosures in the area...many homes listed $40K or more below market. Again, maybe it's just the economy. I dont know.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:14 AM

4 posts, read 11,941 times
We stopped looking in the Wylie and Woodbridge area due to those reasons, and others. Many of the houses we offered on in Woodbridge, the home owner was pretty upside down, and was aggressively pushing for well above comparables. This isn't the end of the world, but it isn't a good sign for a prospective buyer.

I did contact Woodbridge HOA and found that there are no rental restrictions in the area. So while it would be far fetched, the possibility of living on a street full of rentals exists in the future, at Woodbridge, something you don't want to hear when buying, and definitely don't want to hear when building.

They are also about to build a gigantic Wall-Mart across from the main entrance to Woodbridge, which could possibly create traffic issues at the main entrance/intersection. It could also bring unwanted traffic through the neighborhood.

After some research, we found that the Wylie City Council, even though the city is quite established and has been around for a long time, is still in somewhat of a "developmental" phase, with the influx of all the new people and development. There is always going to be back and forth on a city council, but the Wylie council seems to be highly protested by many of the residents. (found this from browsing forums, news, blogs, etc for almost a month) The political system is heavily divided and the taxes are a big issue, and they keep going up. Without a good overall feeling of the city management, I tend to get a bit nervous about future plans. I also saw complaints about the lack of property standard enforcement. In the neighborhood just northeast McCreary and 54, we confirmed this. This is an interesting area, as it seems there used to be quite a few good looking homes here, but it has clearly declined over the past few years. I saw fences knocked over, unkempt lawns and trees, trash, kids loitering in front of vacant homes. This obviously used to be a beautiful neighborhood like the neighborhoods north of it, and like Woodbridge, so it begs the question what is in store for the newer developments.

All in all, Woodbridge is a pretty development. And I love the small town feel of Wylie and I hope it stays that way. The people seem extremely nice. The schools look good, and even the Dart rail has plans to connect the T to Wylie via the "Cotten Belt" rail. I think Wylie will develop nicely, but I just don't want to take the gamble with my family right now.

Last edited by pureguava76; 06-07-2012 at 06:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas