Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 10:03 AM

93 posts, read 196,706 times

Advertisements

I know this has been a topic many times in the past, but I need some specific thoughts.

My husband and I are moving back to DFW after a year spent in another state. Having lived in DFW for 6 years, we know the area pretty well. We lived in Dallas and also Plano.

The problem I'm having is where to move when we return (hopefully for good). While we LOVED many aspects of Plano, there was one issue we had. That is how conservative the area is. It's not that we want to live in a bubble away from others who think differently than we do...but we would like to at least feel like we can relate to more people around us in these respects. I am quite liberal and I did feel like I had to be closeted about it. The thought of putting an Obama sign in my yard struck a little too much fear in my heart, even though I attended his inauguration and am a huge Obama supporter. That said, we loved many, many other aspects of Plano and are considering moving back. It was really the VOLUME of conservatism that was more than I cared for, not the fact that it existed at all. We have friends who are Republican, Democrat, etc. and it is no problem. I know that the DFW 'burbs are right-leaning, but I'm just exploring options.

If we could afford it, we'd live in the Dallas proper in an area with good schools. However, those prices are far beyond what we are prepared to spend.

Can anyone share areas in either Plano, Richardson, or elsewhere, where there are good public schools, houses built no earlier than the 1980's, with say 4 BR in the range of $200-225, and perhaps a little more moderate? We'd love an area where there is at least a little bit of diversity of political viewpoint. I hope this isn't asking too much. Just thought maybe someone could point out some great neighborhood/subdivision. While we did live there for several years, I was hoping to gain insight into specifics from those who have lived in DFW longer and/or know the area better.

And look, I know it's a sensitive topic, but please, no bashing. I do not want this thread to turn into a political debate. And please don't lecture me for asking my question. Thanks.

Last edited by TempNest; 05-07-2012 at 10:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 10:31 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,696,595 times
I thought liberals like older houses.

Try Richardson.

Last edited by Squirl; 05-07-2012 at 11:50 AM..

Old 05-07-2012, 10:34 AM

812 posts, read 2,185,004 times
No problem. I'm a Conservative and hate Obama, but it takes all kinds.

You may have some success in East Plano? There are all kinds of diverse areas there vis a vis West Plano which is pretty much vanilla, upper class white. There is no such thing as a 100% of anything anymore; people have moved on and live where they want to live.

But face it, unless you live in urban Dallas you're going to be in the midst of Conservatives. Only option in Texas is Austin.

I feel your pain as I was the only Conservative in Boston. Even my ex-wife was a Democrat.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:14 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,559,214 times
I'm a liberal gal too (as a hubby) and we have lived in Dallas, Plano, and now Mckinney. In my experience, the further away you go from Dallas, the more conservative it gets. Not that you won't find both wherever you are...you will. But I would say the closer to Dallas the better if you want to be around more liberal-minded folk. That said, I haven't had an issue finding like-minded friends wherever I've lived. Certain activities, groups, events attract a more liberal group...and if you frequent those you are bound to meet people you have more in common with, regardless of where you live. But if you want the percentages to be higher, then apart from certain Dallas proper (particularly Lakewood, Little Forest Hills, Oak Cliff, etc), Richardson might be better choice than Plano. Again, it can be very neighborhood specific. I have friends in Canyon Creek and they said it is notably more conservative than their previous Frisco neighborhood, but they credit that to the different age demographic of those two neighborhoods. Maybe look for neighborhoods with younger populations...as they typically (though not always) tend to be more accepting of the liberal viewpoint...or at least more tolerant of interacting with different political viewpoints than their own.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:47 AM

Thank you for your replies.

Squirl--that's sort of generalizing, isn't it? People with liberal leanings can like all kinds of things. I like new houses--the newer, the better.

ggolf--we lived in West Plano and didn't like East as much. I should have specified. And please, let's not get into hating versus not hating our President. Let's be a little more respectful. I have my opinions and you have yours, but hate is a strong, nasty word. Thanks.

PlanoGirl--my main concern is for when our kids get to be school age. I can easily hang out with like-minded folks, but they won't have as many options in school. As a teacher, I can tell you how political nastiness rubs off on people's kids. Kids are so literal, too...no nuance there. They often pick up on hatred and nastiness and there is no filter on it or true understanding of it, especially around election season. Bullying and neglect can result. It's truly sad. As a teacher you can at least try to defuse tension and help them respect differences on both "sides", but as a parent, I would think it could be tough. When you have adults reacting like children on all sides, what do we expect? So there's a huge concern for us.

So, I'm seeking more specific answers if that's okay. I'm wondering about specific areas of Richardson, Plano, areas within Dallas, or other specific areas within various suburbs.

Last edited by TempNest; 05-07-2012 at 12:02 PM..

Old 05-07-2012, 12:11 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,517,233 times
None of my neighbors have ever asked me my political affiliation.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:17 PM

307 posts, read 532,258 times
"I know that the DFW 'burbs are right-leaning, but I'm just exploring options."

correction:

The (northern) 'burbs are right-leaning.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:06 PM

74 posts, read 166,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
None of my neighbors have ever asked me my political affiliation.
Ditto. No idea why this is even a consideration for where to move.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:13 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,175,792 times
I checked the other day for another thread and I found 60 single family home listings between $200-$300K in the Lakewood Elementary area - 75214. I can tell you there were very few McCain signs in the last presidential election - even many Republicans I know had Obama signs. People don't get all bent out of shape about those things here, they expect people to be eclectic in diverse in everything.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidTiger View Post
Ditto. No idea why this is even a consideration for where to move.
RabidTiger, I don't understand why you would think it odd that a person would consider culture and the feel of the people in an area when considering where to move. I think it is very important. I appreciate your input but this is exactly the sort of criticism that I disagree with. I see other posters questioning why various people on here "even care" about this topic, but obviously it is a concern for many people. Others simply have no dilemma to discuss and wouldn't dare move to the burbs because of these reasons, or love them for other reasons. I am trying to see all angles and make an informed decision. Who is to say what should be important to any given person when making such a huge decision?

Last edited by TempNest; 05-07-2012 at 05:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas