Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 07:43 PM

4 posts, read 5,117 times

Advertisements

I've recently graduated college and have been working in IT for 2 years now. I'm considering moving to Dallas in an attempt to enter the game industry, and I have the social network in that location required to do so. I'm wondering if it's somewhere I would be happy. I've been in Nashville these 2 years, and I cannot bring myself to terms with the place.

I know this is super broad and asking for much, but really, I want to spark a wide conversation with a personal flavor. I also realize I could ask "Does Dallas have X and Y?" but I think I'll get the more desired effect with this approach.

I'm single and 24. I was raised in suburbia, South Florida, and I went to an engineering school in Atlanta, GA. I have mixed feelings about home and absolutely love Atlanta - the only reason I'm not going back is because the game industry is much more competitive there. I'm agnostic and don't do well with heavy religious influences around me. I enjoy surrounding myself with very unusual but highly intelligent people - think mad scientist types. Socially, I am very liberal, whereas morally and economically, I walk both sides of the fence depending on specifics - to me this translates to wanting to be surrounded by people open to various stances on issues. I enjoy talking about the heavy stuff in a light and "agree to disagree" manner, which I am having trouble finding in Nashvillians. I am very much a technologist, and random technological things in the public space (have you seen those touchscreen coke-branded fountain drink dispensers? hell yeah) bring me incredible joy. I love having any number of things I can go do at any given moment. I much prefer a driven culture to a laid-back culture. Said in a different manner, I prefer a culture based more on achievement than on the human experience. I don't consider Nashville a city - it is just a large town with a couple of tall buildings. I love to be surrounding by multiple ethnic influences. Nashville does have some Asian and Mexican population, though, regrettably, it seems to mostly be 1st and 2nd generation immigrants in the blue collar sector. I often compare this to Atlanta, where you have what I call Korea-town with numerous, prosperous businesses in multiple industries (retail, entertainment, IT, etc).

Based on what I've read so far, I'm unable to even lean towards or away from liking it. I've seen it referenced as a smaller city. I've seen references to heavy Bible Belt influences. I've seen complaints of little to do. I've also seen that it's a huge IT area. I've seen mention that the size of the area allows for various sorts of cultures.

What are your thoughts on the place? Do you see people of a similar sort? Do you see the sorts of things in the city that I'm looking for?

All feedback is very, very much appreciated, positive or negative. Thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 09:51 PM

109 posts, read 161,012 times
You sounds like a person who can be happy anywhere. A rare quality in humans!

Old 05-19-2012, 10:42 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,377,042 times
I lived in Metro Atlanta (Gwinnett County) for 8 years.

DFW is basically Metro Atlanta without the numerous hills and trees, IMO. Switch the black population in Atlanta with hispanics in DFW. There is a Koreantown in NW Dallas extending through Carrollton, it's remotely similar to the area in Duluth, GA along Pleasant Hill/Satellte Blvd. The majority of the Asian population here is in North Irving, Plano, Carrollton and Richardson.

The metropolitan setup of Dallas is very similar to Atlanta. The core city is surrounded by large suburban areas with nice subdivisions, malls and those faux town centers. Atlanta's dowtown is a little livlier and has more entertainment venues. Uptown Dallas is like a mix of Buckhead and Midtown ATL and is the heart of the club scene (which I'm not into). There are multiple business districts outside of the core city. Dallas also has an expanding light rail system and transit oriented developments are the trend.

Then there's Fort Worth. The smaller core city of the Metroplex but very fast growing. It has a nice pedestrian friendly downtown area, a great cultural district (museums, music hall), parks and zoo. Along West 7th St near downtown, there's a really cool entertainment and shopping area. FW can to be a refreshing change of pace from Dallas.

DFW airport fuels the economy. There's not one dominant industry. The economy is driven by transportation, tech, manufacturing, finance and logistics. Sports are huge; pro, college and high school. Like Atlanta, many people head to the lakes for outdoor recreation in the summer. The largest Six Flags park in the U.S. is in Arlington.

Dallas for the most part leans left. There have been decades of in-migration of people from places all over the U.S. and the World. You're bound to meet people with a vibe and viewpoints similar to yours.

Noone could possibly know if you would be happy in Dallas. You're young and looking to build a career. Seems that getting a job and money while stenghtening a resume are whats important for now. There will be time to move on later if the location doesn't suit the preferences.

Best wishes!

Old 05-20-2012, 01:18 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeege View Post
I've recently graduated college and have been working in IT for 2 years now. I'm considering moving to Dallas in an attempt to enter the game industry, and I have the social network in that location required to do so. I'm wondering if it's somewhere I would be happy. I've been in Nashville these 2 years, and I cannot bring myself to terms with the place.

I know this is super broad and asking for much, but really, I want to spark a wide conversation with a personal flavor. I also realize I could ask "Does Dallas have X and Y?" but I think I'll get the more desired effect with this approach.

I'm single and 24. I was raised in suburbia, South Florida, and I went to an engineering school in Atlanta, GA. I have mixed feelings about home and absolutely love Atlanta - the only reason I'm not going back is because the game industry is much more competitive there. I'm agnostic and don't do well with heavy religious influences around me. I enjoy surrounding myself with very unusual but highly intelligent people - think mad scientist types. Socially, I am very liberal, whereas morally and economically, I walk both sides of the fence depending on specifics - to me this translates to wanting to be surrounded by people open to various stances on issues. I enjoy talking about the heavy stuff in a light and "agree to disagree" manner, which I am having trouble finding in Nashvillians. I am very much a technologist, and random technological things in the public space (have you seen those touchscreen coke-branded fountain drink dispensers? hell yeah) bring me incredible joy. I love having any number of things I can go do at any given moment. I much prefer a driven culture to a laid-back culture. Said in a different manner, I prefer a culture based more on achievement than on the human experience. I don't consider Nashville a city - it is just a large town with a couple of tall buildings. I love to be surrounding by multiple ethnic influences. Nashville does have some Asian and Mexican population, though, regrettably, it seems to mostly be 1st and 2nd generation immigrants in the blue collar sector. I often compare this to Atlanta, where you have what I call Korea-town with numerous, prosperous businesses in multiple industries (retail, entertainment, IT, etc).

Based on what I've read so far, I'm unable to even lean towards or away from liking it. I've seen it referenced as a smaller city. I've seen references to heavy Bible Belt influences. I've seen complaints of little to do. I've also seen that it's a huge IT area. I've seen mention that the size of the area allows for various sorts of cultures.

What are your thoughts on the place? Do you see people of a similar sort? Do you see the sorts of things in the city that I'm looking for?

All feedback is very, very much appreciated, positive or negative. Thanks!!!!
Honestly? I think someone with your interests and specifically your desired career trajectory should be looking in northern California or perhaps in the northeast. I very rarely recommend that people go TO California, but there it is.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:13 PM

890 posts, read 1,649,998 times
Dc sounds like it may fit you, a bit fast paced however

Old 05-20-2012, 03:22 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
I wouldn't worry about the whole "Bible Belt" thing. Dallas is less Protestant Christian than Atlanta is and is no more or less bible beltish than Atlanta.

Dallas is also slightly more multicultural than Atlanta, though they are very similar in that way.

As far as the whole conservative/liberal thing, it's exactly the same as Atlanta. Liberal core and conservative burbs.

As far as stuff to do, the only area we lack is in the outdoors department. We are situated in the middle of the Prarie which doesn't bode well for hiking or things of that nature. Our food scene is excellent, our nightlife is like most major cities, and our culture scene is growing albeit behind Atlanta or Houston. We have all the big city things you would find in Atlanta.

If you were happy in Atlanta, you should be in Dallas. The main differences is that Atlanta is prettier and Dallas has more (a lot more) Latin American influence. Dallas Latin community is comparable to Atlanta's black community in size.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:14 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times
You would fit in Houston or Dallas just fine. This is a technical part of the country. We still make things here in Tx and dont run from risk like Ca or NY or Fla to name three. Im an engineer and understand the stimulating environment you seek. It can be found in Tx specifically Houston or Dallas. Geeky is Houston more so than Dallas but more oil engineers where Dallas has more pure IT types and more of a gaming business. Welcome to Texas..come on down

Old 05-20-2012, 08:41 PM

56 posts, read 77,006 times
You are single and talented, go explore silicone valley.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:26 PM

4 posts, read 5,117 times
Warnpeace - Ahh, I wish. I'm just good at appearances haha. But thanks :-)

Scout_972 - Your powers of description are superb. I like the picture you've painted. I am hoping to do some resume building while in Dallas (the game company bit), but I've been noticing myself becoming more and more bitter being in this place. I don't want to become like that :-/

BigDGeek - I was thinking that originally, but my network in Cali is weaker than I'd like. I also have plenty of student loans on my back, and the cost of living makes things a bit tricky over there. If the Dallas thing doesn't work out, I'll pursue San Fran, Chicago, and Atlanta concurrently.

futureATLien - I did visit DC twice. I really enjoyed it there, actually. Seemed like interesting people and a great nightlife. I do have a super solid connection to a good consulting job over there, but I'm trying to get my foot in the door in the game industry. Good suggestion after reading me :-)

justme02 - Good to hear. I'd like the latin influences - would remind me of home. Thanks for the info

Johnhw2 - Mmm, thanks for the distinction. I had a couple of people tell me Houston would be more up my alley, but I had no real data outside of that. Think I might

Androidy - Aye, but I'm worried about money and jobs. I've noticed a few companies leaving silicon valley, actually...

Thanks for the feedback everyone!! I'm planning on visiting Dallas next weekend. This gives me a really good bit of context to look at things with. Thanks!!

Old 05-23-2012, 09:45 PM

231 posts, read 814,099 times
@ OP

like someone else said, you should go to California, the field is competitive regradless of where you move to but there will be more opportunities in California, i say go to Dallas only if know people already in the industry that can get you work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas