Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2012, 11:12 AM

264 posts, read 702,009 times

Advertisements

We got out water bill for June (for May usage) at the usual time of the month. The amount was consistent with the norm since last July. A few days later we receive a bill for $225 (our original was $65), due one day past the original bill. I called DWU for an explanation and was told that a new meter had been installed. The old meter was giving incorrect readings (or so I was told) and the new amount correct. The bill went up due to the fact that they were estimating the past inaccurate readings and were making up the bill. They also said the due date changed from June 7 to July 23 due to the increase. The old bill was void.

Did this happen to anyone else? We live in Old Lake Highlands and I cannot recall seeing the meter replaced, although I'm sure it happened when I was at work. It seems fishy that DWU are "estimating" past inaccurate readings and adding them onto this bill. I can't see how that is anyone's fault except theirs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 03:34 PM

169 posts, read 433,263 times
You may want to cut the water off where it enters your house (you should be able to find a cut off valve) and make sure the meter isn't still spinning. You may now have a leak on your side of the meter, if the city contractors installed in improperly.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:47 PM

931 posts, read 2,134,836 times
They made some kind of mistake. You need to ask someone to take a better look at it. They will usually look at last year and work up a bill based on that as an adjustment. You certainly need to make sure that you don't have a leak on your side of the meter.

Good Luck

Old 06-10-2012, 08:11 PM

264 posts, read 702,009 times
DWU is actually saying they have been undercharging me since last July & that the increase in the one bill is "making up" for the undercharges. That's why the due date was changed from June 7 to July 23rd. I quote " that was our mistake." Seems fishy to me. The person I spoke to didn't seem convinced of the story he was telling me. I was at work and didn't have much time to talk. I was shaking my head in confusion afterwards. I think I'll have my wife call. When they hear the kids screaming behind her maybe they'll cut us a break.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:05 AM

6,819 posts, read 14,032,189 times
Never had it happen on a water bill but I did have it happen on my electric bill. I received a $770 electric bill due to them underestimating my previous bill and my contract having ended (they charged higher per kilowatt). I thought I was going to pass out when I saw this bill. I fought and argued with them but it made zero difference.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:57 PM

931 posts, read 2,134,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
Never had it happen on a water bill but I did have it happen on my electric bill. I received a $770 electric bill due to them underestimating my previous bill and my contract having ended (they charged higher per kilowatt). I thought I was going to pass out when I saw this bill. I fought and argued with them but it made zero difference.

The fact is that the Texas PUC is there to protect the electric company not the consumer. When hurricane Katrina hit my electric company from Louisiana sold my account to a Dallas Company who promptly changed my rate from 7 cents a kilowatt to 14.99 with no notice. It took me almost 3 months to change and PUC was completely worthless even though my contract specified I was supposed to get notice.

Get ready for your bill to go up PUC is fixing to raise the CAP almost triple. The good companies will probably hold rates but the scumbags will use as an excuse to raise your contracted rates.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:40 PM

6,819 posts, read 14,032,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete53FR View Post
The fact is that the Texas PUC is there to protect the electric company not the consumer. When hurricane Katrina hit my electric company from Louisiana sold my account to a Dallas Company who promptly changed my rate from 7 cents a kilowatt to 14.99 with no notice. It took me almost 3 months to change and PUC was completely worthless even though my contract specified I was supposed to get notice.

Get ready for your bill to go up PUC is fixing to raise the CAP almost triple. The good companies will probably hold rates but the scumbags will use as an excuse to raise your contracted rates.

Your contract specifies that your rate can go up up PUC raises the rate. Even if you have a contract you are at the mercy of PUC

Reggie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas