Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 02:52 PM

8 posts, read 18,718 times

Advertisements

Hello I am a recent graduate from Trinity College Dublin Ireland, I am currently waiting for my 12 month J1 visa to come through, if all goes to plan I hope to be in the states at the start of Oct and my visa will begin on the 1st of Nov.

This will give me approx. a month to look for a job and housing. At the moment I have focused my search on New York, Boston, Chicago (Irish connection), Austin, Dallas, and Houston. I am just looking for advice from anyone if I am looking in the right areas to find a civil engineering job or should I look in other cities.

I am open to any suggestions! I just want to live in a city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 03:06 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
and I quote:
In addition to have a program sponsor, the J-1 visa applicant must show the consular officer that he/she plans to stay in the U.S. for only a limited period of time, has enough funds to cover all expenses in the U.S., and that there are significant, binding social and economic ties to the applicant’s country of residence.

so who is your program sponsor and why won't they help with this and wouldn't finding a job be in violation of the "limited period of time"

Old 09-16-2009, 03:22 PM

No offense or anything but what are you talking about I'm asking for advice not to be quizzed on the legalities of my visa, but just to satisfy your interest.

My program sponsor will not be able to secure me a job in a civil engineering job that is up to me to find as part of the visa.

Once I arrive in the country on the 1st of Oct I will have approx 30 days to find a job and then the visa takes effect, after such time if I will have an extra period of thirty days to continue looking for a placement, once I can prove that I have enough money in my bank account to sustain myself and am looking for employment then I will not be doing anything wrong.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:55 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,872,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickdow2003 View Post
My program sponsor will not be able to secure me a job in a civil engineering job that is up to me to find as part of the visa.
Unless the laws have changed very recently, your SPONSOR MUST EMPLOY YOU while you are here in the US. As an employer here, I know that I cannot employ a J1 unless I sponsored the person to get here. A J2, however, can work wherever they wish.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:52 PM

19 posts, read 75,987 times
First I'd spend time polishing my resume and cover letter telling what makes of me a desirable engineer. I'd even ask for professional assistance to make sure I'm sending the right message to potential employers. Then, I'd identify engineering firms on magazines like ENR & send as many customized applications as I can.
I like big cities too, but competition is fierce so I'd definitely knock doors in smaller cities like San Antonio, Texas and in small firms.
Good luck!

Old 09-16-2009, 07:55 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
your sponsor is the reason you got the J1--because your sponsor stated s/he was offering you employment, I believe--in fact I think your employer had to state that a US citizen could not be found to do this job which is why it was necessary to go outside the country to hire someone...
so if your sponsor is NOT employing you but likely taking a fee from you to get you into the country so that you can look for another job--then that does sound like it is scamming the visa process...and that would be my business since that is my country's laws you are violating...

I know my husband employs someone from Italy part time whose main job is with another company who is his sponsor and who paid a fee for his visa as his sponsor
this does not sound Kosher...

Old 09-17-2009, 05:55 AM

Hey 002 thanks for the advice, ye I'll have a look at the smaller cities too and good idea about asking for advice back never really thought of that.

Hey loves2read and ChristieP, you guys can have a look at this link it will clear everything up in a matter of minutes and once you see I'm legit you can maybe give me that advice I was looking for.

http://www.iicenter.org/services/J1/...%20WEBSITE.pdf

Old 09-17-2009, 08:29 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickdow2003 View Post
Hey 002 thanks for the advice, ye I'll have a look at the smaller cities too and good idea about asking for advice back never really thought of that.

Hey loves2read and ChristieP, you guys can have a look at this link it will clear everything up in a matter of minutes and once you see I'm legit you can maybe give me that advice I was looking for.

http://www.iicenter.org/services/J1/...%20WEBSITE.pdf
I do not know the legalities, but I do know, attitude will go along way if you want to be successful in the United States. Mellow out a little and good luck in getting a job here. As bad as the economy is and it is bad, this won't be easy, but Texas is doing better than many states. You will most likely have trouble in New York plus the cost of living is extremely high. I would also your Irish connection in Chic can help you.

Is there a reason you posted the same message twice?
Nita

Old 09-17-2009, 10:00 AM

Sorry maybe I was being a little rude before, just a bit stressed at the minute like I've emailed over a hundred companies with no replies, not even rejections, and now that I will be forking out so much money I am kind of beginning to feel like it could just be a waste of time and money.

I was just talking to some guy in the immigration forum and he suggested posting in separate city forums so I took his advice, I was unsure if it would be seen if I just placed in one spot. With all the info on here it can be overwhelming.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:11 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,255,953 times
Employers shy away from applicants that don't have a local address in their resume. If you have any connections here, ask your friends if you can use their address.

Have you looked into a job placement company?

Naima
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas