Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 02:19 PM

764 posts, read 1,658,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshamee View Post
Our first home

1. university park, aged (1990s) house, 3000sqf, NO HOA, homestead exemption, small lot

2. colleyville, several nice custom homes, 3000-3300sqf, 1500-2000 HOA, NO homestead exemption, small lot

3. southlake, 3000-4000sqf, NOT custom built, 1500-2000 HOA, NO homestead exemption, small/ large lot depends on location

ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE? thanks in advance
Is this an investment property (hoping to sell and 'upgrade' in 3-5 years and get a 'decent' return) or someplace to live for awhile?

Do you want a single family home (perhaps with a yard) OR do you want an attached home? (With no HOA, I'd be a little wary about living next to an "unknown" after putting down that kind of money.)

Do you have kids/plan on having kids? When you (and/or your spouse) were growing up, did you ever live anywhere without a yard? Do you want your kids to have one? (Yes, I know SFA usually have a little yard, but they are usually sized for pets.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 03:20 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,988,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
1. The OP is talking about an area miles from Marsh - much along Marsh is gentrifying.

2. Maple is likely miles south and west of any SFAs in UP. And Maple certainly isn't part of what people consider any North Dallas residential area. Further, it's looking like the Parkland rebuild is already beginning a mass rebuild of that area.

3. The housing areas "just off" Inwood include neighborhoods that are the finest in Dallas - hundreds of homes over $1mm many much more. My guess is some of the homes you see and don't like are older ranch styles homes - again many of those are $1mm and more.

5. The ND area south of 635 and just east of 75 are thriving, spots of blight but great for the most part.

6. Housing in UP/HP and "North Dallas" including Preston Hollow and surrounding are seeing increasing prices and quick sales.

Moderator cut: rude

Next time you are close to the area drive around for 30 minutes.
I graduated from SMU and I've made multiple runs to Summer camps/Sport clinics at EDS, Hockaday, and St. Marks just in the past Month so I'm up on what N Dallas is like now and what it was since 1977. Perhaps you're new to the area? Anybody that says N Dallas is not on a slow decline from what i once is guilty of wishful thinking. You are touting the fact this phenomena has yet reached the borders of HP/UP which is true, but then at one time Addison and Richardson and upper Mockingbird were in good shape.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-06-2012 at 04:58 PM.. Reason: updated quoted text

Old 07-06-2012, 04:00 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,917,976 times
Why do you say no HOMESTEAD exemption--do you own home in another town/state that you are counting as your primary residence?

to me these are almost like being in two different states because they are so far apart
most people I know would not be comparing the two locations
they would have a commute that required one or the other OR they would likely not want the high density of Dallas vs more spread out Tarrant (although that is changing with all construction along Hwy 26 and Airport Frwy)

people don't choose the areas for the homes--they choose the areas for the lifestyle/ambiance/cache
and lot of that depends on who they consider important in their lives and who they are trying to impress...

from what I have seen and read you rarely find people who are that comfortable in both locations--
it is like soccer and football--most people choose one or the other and few are truly fans of both sports...

Old 07-06-2012, 04:19 PM

19,822 posts, read 18,122,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
I graduated from SMU and I've made multiple runs to Summer camps/Sport clinics at EDS, Hockaday, and St. Marks just in the past Month so I'm up on what N Dallas is like now and what it was since 1977. Perhaps you're new to the area? Anybody that says N Dallas is not on a slow decline from what i once is guilty of wishful thinking. You are touting the fact this phenomena has yet reached the borders of HP/UP which is true, but then at one time Addison and Richardson and upper Mockingbird were in good shape.
Born at St. Paul two weeks after President Kennedy was assassinated.

Moderator cut: see comment

ETA - my guess is you are looking at glitz and shine and not value.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-06-2012 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: Rude & Offensive

Old 07-06-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:

If it hurts your pride in your neighborhood, I apologize for bruising your ego informing you North Dallas isn't free of it's own set of issues that effect real estate prices. Moderator cut: rude

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-06-2012 at 05:03 PM.. Reason: updated quoted text

Old 07-06-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
If it hurts your pride in your neighborhood, I apologize for bruising your ego informing you North Dallas isn't free of it's own set of issues that effect real estate prices. Moderator cut: rude
Lots of issues just none of the ones you foisted. Spec' price per square foot of free standing homes between all of the better areas of the metroplex and report back.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-06-2012 at 09:28 PM.. Reason: updated quoted text

Old 07-06-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Lots of issues just none of the ones you foisted. Spec' price per square foot of free standing homes between all of the better areas of the metroplex and report back.
Hilarious. You move to Plano from Richardson for basically the same reasons but you're ego can't take hearing it from someone else....LOL

Moderator cut: Off-Topic

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-06-2012 at 09:41 PM..

Old 07-06-2012, 05:00 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,508,647 times
Quote:

OK, let's break this down because North Dallas is a very large area and I think you're both being a bit stubborn. Sorry! West of Marsh is still looking good to me. West of Webbs Chapel is getting sketchy. I drive it all the time. But to say North Dallas (in general) is on the decline is far from the truth. Are they building section 8 housing on Strait Lane? No. What realtors now refer to as Preston Hollow, and that's a huge area, is not on the decline. Not a bit.

Directly east of Central, lots of sketchy, but apartments are being torn down and new businesses are going up.

Maple avenue can still be sketchy and I have no desire to walk around there at night except from my car to Windmill Lounge (I'm also dying to try Maple and Motor), but new businesses are taking over and the area in my opinion is going to flourish one day, much like Henderson.

As for the Southlake/Park Cities debate, I think it just depends on what one wants in a home. For me, I'd choose Park Cities as I don't want to be too far out from the action, but I understand that Southlake is very nice and the people who live there love it. I'm not a realtor, but my guess is that those homes probably keep their value very nicely. I know the homes in Park Cities do.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-06-2012 at 05:07 PM.. Reason: updated quoted text

Old 07-06-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
OK, let's break this down because North Dallas is a very large area and I think you're both being a bit stubborn. Sorry! West of Marsh is still looking good to me. West of Webbs Chapel is getting sketchy. I drive it all the time. But to say North Dallas (in general) is on the decline is far from the truth. Are they building section 8 housing on Strait Lane? No. What realtors now refer to as Preston Hollow, and that's a huge area, is not on the decline. Not a bit.

Directly east of Central, lots of sketchy, but apartments are being torn down and new businesses are going up.

Maple avenue can still be sketchy and I have no desire to walk around there at night except from my car to Windmill Lounge (I'm also dying to try Maple and Motor), but new businesses are taking over and the area in my opinion is going to flourish one day, much like Henderson.

As for the Southlake/Park Cities debate, I think it just depends on what one wants in a home. For me, I'd choose Park Cities as I don't want to be too far out from the action, but I understand that Southlake is very nice and the people who live there love it. I'm not a realtor, but my guess is that those homes probably keep their value very nicely. I know the homes in Park Cities do.
That's fair. You know what you are talking about Moderator cut: see comment

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-06-2012 at 09:30 PM.. Reason: no discussion of other members in this forum, ever!

Old 07-06-2012, 05:07 PM

[quote=padcrasher;25054024]Hilarious. You move to Plano from Richardson for basically the same reasons but you're ego can't take hearing it from someone else....LOL

Moderator cut: Off-Topic

That's great and all except we are not talking about Richardson. Well, maybe you think Richardson is part of North Dallas near Maple Ave. maybe?

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-06-2012 at 09:45 PM.. Reason: updated quoted text
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas