Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 09:04 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,636,480 times

Advertisements

[quote=Considering Coming Back;25557963]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramona72 View Post
People always talk about the "school within a school" nature of Woodrow, which means that the kids in the rigorous classes can and do get a superlative education. But if your kid can't handle the IB program or all-AP and is in classes with kids who are unprepared and unmotivated, it can be a difficult experience especially if he's struggling with attention issues or needs a lot of extra support. I'd go take a look around Woodrow for yourself, talk to some parents, counselors, etc.
I think Ramona is on point. (don't hit me, Lakewooder!) Woodrow is a great school, BUT, it is not the right school for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 01:14 PM

56 posts, read 92,338 times
It seems to me the poster is looking for some place INCLUSIVE rather than EXCLUSIVE as the Park Cities and private schools. Lakewood/Stonewall/Long/Woodrow fit the bill. The point is everyone can go to those schools. That's the greatest strength of those schools.

Different people are thrown together and learn from each other. The problem is many parents have prejudices, ideas of prestige or are afraid and their child misses out on this experience. That's too bad.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,786 times
Default You get out of it what you put into it.

I have seen many young people in their 20s the past few years, as I have 3 in that age group. Mine went to Woodrow as I did. I have observed that the school is not near as important as what one puts into it. I have seen 20 somethings that have Graduated from HP, St.Marks, BL, Woodrow, Hillcrest, Lake Highlands, etc. and from each and everyone of these schools I have seen, among these young people, both what our society would call successful contributing members of society, and failures... so far... dont have a clue who, or what they what to be or do.
So, to me it is more about your experiences, relationships, faith, family, and dedication to your personal goals; that makes a person "successful" and happy. So where can you go to find utopia, where ever you want to, because you get out of life what you put into it. My family found what we needed in Lakewood and at Woodrow.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:02 PM

32 posts, read 59,727 times
I haven't read all the responses, but you might want to check out the Casa Linda area. We love this area. Big trees, older homes (but many updated), very large lots, friendly neighbors, quiet streets, no pretentiousness at all. Elementary school is excellent, but middle (Gaston) and high school (Bryan Adams) probably aren't your best choices in DISD. But with a 500-600K budget, you could get a very nice house in Casa Linda for much less and use the savings for private school.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:57 PM

175 posts, read 483,059 times
Zuzupetals, I grew up in the Park Cities. I miss perhaps the era that I grew up in (70's) when it was a much different vibe. I live up in Frisco just off of the Dallas North Tollway. If you want great outdoor options have you possibly thought about Aubrey or Pilot Point? Ray Roberts State Park is just in that area. Lots of activities such as horseback riding, kayaking, boating, camping, trails for biking.
From where I live (just three miles south of 380) I can be up at Ray Roberts in about 25 minutes. I am totally hooked.
Good luck on your search!

Old 08-10-2012, 10:32 PM

26 posts, read 58,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow71 View Post
I have seen many young people in their 20s the past few years, as I have 3 in that age group. Mine went to Woodrow as I did. I have observed that the school is not near as important as what one puts into it. I have seen 20 somethings that have Graduated from HP, St.Marks, BL, Woodrow, Hillcrest, Lake Highlands, etc. and from each and everyone of these schools I have seen, among these young people, both what our society would call successful contributing members of society, and failures... so far... dont have a clue who, or what they what to be or do.
So, to me it is more about your experiences, relationships, faith, family, and dedication to your personal goals; that makes a person "successful" and happy. So where can you go to find utopia, where ever you want to, because you get out of life what you put into it. My family found what we needed in Lakewood and at Woodrow.
Agreed. There are great kids/families in HP. I really don't want to give the impression that I think the Park Cities is a terrible environment that will damage my kids forever. Our decision to go elsewhere is based on many factors. I'm not looking for utopia, because it can't be found here on earth. Just looking for a place where we will want to live our lives, with is successes and failures, glad times and sorrowful ones, too. We've just come to the realization that there might be a better place for us in which to do all that.

Someone mentioned chickens - I would LOVE to live in a place where I could have some chickens.

Casalindamom: I probably would like your area. I'm pretty sure that we are going to want to live somewhere where we don't *have* to do private school, though.

ANLr: you are right! I'm a fan of inclusiveness! (although I am quite aware of my tendency to be snobby about snobby people, which is only immaturity on my part and pretty hypocritical. I'm working on it, though.)

Many of you have very wisely highlighted some areas for me to think about and research regarding Woodrow and my child who struggles with ADD. The school within a school aspect has me wondering which "school" they would be in. I'm thinking no on The IB program. Not even sure if the AP classes would be a good fit for them. This child has many wonderful strengths, but unfortunately traditional schooling is not conducive to the way they best learn. And yes, we've looked at Shelton, but ai yi yi -- $$$$$! Plus, I really want my kids to go to the same schools and have that shared experience. But, in the end, if we need to send our child to a small private school (maybe there are some in east Dallas?) we will. (although they would seriously hate the idea -- which is why I would love to find a good, non-overwhelming, public school.)

I do think East Dallas would fit us well in temperament, though. . I'll probably go visit Long and Woodrow and talk to the counselors there. Hopefully they'll shoot straight with me.

Thank you all for your extremely helpful advice.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:06 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,435,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzuspetalsTX View Post
Someone mentioned chickens - I would LOVE to live in a place where I could have some chickens.
Lots of chicken here in East Dallas, at least three neighbors on my block have them, and the neighborhood elementary school is getting some soon.

That said, chickens are nice enough, but Ducks are where it is at.

No.. I'm not desperate to convince others to keep ducks too, just to have fellow duck-keepers.... how could you even think that?

Old 08-11-2012, 07:16 PM

2 posts, read 3,174 times
One of the families that has chickens, that I mentioned before (bregan0419), has three children. All three are ADD and are going to or have graduated from Woodrow. She has had to work hard to get her children the extra help they need but she is a very active mom at the school and has great respect for the Performing Arts Program. All of her kids have been involved in musical and choirs. One is a national contest winner for an invention he created in Woodrow 71's class. I am glad to hook you up with her email. BTW the chickens are shown in the state fair each year as well. This is my first time posting, being invited by "Lakewooder". I'm not proficient at this media just yet but if you try to message me and I dont respond I'm sure he can let me know. School is upon us and there is so much to do...

Old 08-16-2012, 07:17 PM

82 posts, read 126,507 times
From what you have described, I think Lakewood would be perfect for you. Get hooked up with some of the active parents in PTA and they will help you navigate what looks complicated from the outside. I think the Woodrow board has 100 members.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:49 AM

26 posts, read 58,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnabasc View Post
From what you have described, I think Lakewood would be perfect for you. Get hooked up with some of the active parents in PTA and they will help you navigate what looks complicated from the outside. I think the Woodrow board has 100 members.
Thanks, barnabasc. We have decided to go forward with seeing if the Lakewood/East Dallas area will work for us, as it does seem to fit the bill and would be the easiest move for us to make (familiar area, and no need to move my husband's office or worry about commute). I plan on meeting with some Long parents and looking at the school as well as visiting Woodrow.

I've driven around the area with my kids and they are all very excited about a potential move.

Thanks to all for very valuable input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas