Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 03:18 PM

8 posts, read 30,248 times

Advertisements

I'm a 34 year old very Liberal New Yorker gal and moved to Dallas for work a year and a half ago.

First question I got at work on my first day here:

"Where do you go to Church?"

And it went downhill from there when they really got to know me.

Are there ANY Liberals in this city, and if so where do they congregate?? I can't take it anymore, I really can't. Please help. I'm this close to putting a gun to my head and if I could walk away from my job God help me I would but I can't right now... I have to be here for another two years.

Old 10-03-2007, 03:30 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,995,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortGreener View Post
I'm a 34 year old very Liberal New Yorker gal and moved to Dallas for work a year and a half ago.

Are there ANY Liberals in this city, and if so where do they congregate?? I can't take it anymore, I really can't. Please help. I'm this close to putting a gun to my head and if I could walk away from my job God help me I would but I can't right now... I have to be here for another two years.
I think that liberals are sprinkled throughout dallas, but no anywhere near as common as repubs or independents. maybe around downtown lofts. deep ellum lofts, oak lawn., etc. i'm only guessing. you might see if there is a democratic club or maybe out-of-staters club (new to dallas).

Old 10-03-2007, 03:57 PM

1,004 posts, read 3,754,245 times
Quote:

Given how many transplants there are in the metroplex, I am surprised you haven't met liberal people yet.

Also, what I learned is that not every religious person here is conservative. Not by a long shot. One pastor I know is openly gay and in an interracial marriage (real same sex marriage; from Canada).

My circle of friends is very liberal. I met some at work, some at bowling, some at parties.

But I also wouldn't know where to go in general to meet straight, non-religious liberals. I am not aware that there are special gathering places....

Maybe the upcoming LifeWalk would be a good place to meet liberal people?
Aids Arms LifeWalk
There are lots of liberal people there, gay, straight, old, young. There is a large gathering at Lee Park afterwards.

Old 10-03-2007, 04:11 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,152,085 times
Why don't you pick a candidate to support and go to the fundraisers? A lot of Democrats live in my area (lots of Republicans, too) but we get along fine...I know many people who will vote for either/or and both, depending on the candidate.

Old 10-03-2007, 04:38 PM

49 posts, read 218,977 times
We just moved here, but so far we found a few "liberal" people just from going out to events listed online. Having come from a pretty conservative area, I am experienced. And no, you're really not alone! The trick is that you can't wait for like-minded people to appear. You have to look for them.

Sources:
Dallas Sierra Club Home Page

Dallas Peace Center | the oldest and largest peace and justice organization in North Texas

Drinking Liberally - Chapters

Even if you're not really a "church" person, you may find people at a UU church:

First Unitarian Church of Dallas | Welcome!

Unitarian Universalist Church of Oak Cliff : Welcome

Community Unitarian Universalist Church of Plano, Texas

Horizon Unitarian Universalist Church > Home

Last edited by DallasDreamer; 10-03-2007 at 04:47 PM..

Old 10-03-2007, 04:42 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,674,776 times
Quote:

Why does it bother someone if they are asked if they go to church? It doesn't bother me (and I'm Jewish). It's the norm here. Tolerance is a funny thing, it gets much harder to practice when you are faced with dealing with folks who think differently than you. Maybe you would be happier if you got to know folks without judging them first?

I'm a conservative from California who went to college at Berkeley. I got along just fine with people because i didn't automatically judge someone negatively who was liberal and atheist. Try giving the same respect to conservative christians and you might just enjoy yourself a little more here.

Old 10-03-2007, 04:47 PM

1 posts, read 6,653 times
Also a Nyer lost here in Dallas but it has been for a little over a decade with frequent trips back to civilization. After a while you learn to pick up a glass and just drink more and your eyes won't roll as much. As for the liberals, well there are a few of us around but God forbid dont wear your tie dyes on Sunday otherwise you might be judged by a conservative southerner.

What I have noticed about Dallas is that there are few decent gathering places, few open minds, and few who can accept the possibility of a woman as president. What do you expect when you have Mexicans making bagels and Italian pastries. Fort Worth is where the mind begins to open.....

Old 10-03-2007, 04:51 PM

8 posts, read 30,248 times
Thanks everybody and especially DallasDreamer (and will respond soon to your message).

I came here with an open mind and don't worry about who believes in what just as long as they leave me alone as well and don't look at me like I'm from Mars because I don't go to church, don't hate Mexicans etc. And rb4browns, it's not everybody in Texas that's driven me up the wall... And who said anything about not respecting conservative Christians? See, you're already behaving like the ones who leap to conclusions when I voice my opinion.

No sweat anyway.

Old 10-03-2007, 04:52 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,152,085 times
Ha..Fort Worth, you've got to be kidding..

"What I have noticed about Dallas is that there are few decent gathering places, few open minds, and few who can accept the possibility of a woman as president".

Are you sure you really live inside Dallas?

Old 10-03-2007, 05:07 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,936,355 times
Yes there are liberals in Dallas.
The most liberal area is on cedar springs and throckmorton. Many gays live there. There is a large liberal church in that area called Catherdral of Hope and most of the congregation is gay.
The Sheriff of Dallas is a lesbian.
But besides that I think most of the judges in Dallas are now democrats.

Maybe the people at your work are hardcore Christian republicans. Also at jobs people will play politics and single out people who are different. It doesn't mean you are wrong and odd but in that job maybe they think they can control you better that way. I wouldn't want to work with those people at all. If that IS the case

Last edited by artsyguy; 10-03-2007 at 05:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas