Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2012, 10:07 AM

477 posts, read 1,053,193 times

Advertisements

The GF and I were planning a move to Dallas for several years now. Sold the house in Nola on Aug 20th and was planning to move in early Sept. Hurricane Isaac pushed the date up We arrived Tuesday night. We're staying with family in South Garland until we buy a new house. We have some random questions that we hope we can find answers for here:
1. We got auto insurance, registered cars, got inspection stickers and even drivers licenses this week. TX requires 2 license plates...nola didn't. My Nissan does not have holes for mounting a front plate. Nissan told me is have to drill them. I'm not crazy about drilling holes in my car. A guy at Nissan told me not to worry about the front plate b/c no one will stop me for it. Is this true? I have noticed a LOT of cars without them. What's the fine btw?

2. My license plates are ugly. The GF has a truck and got the blue plates. I got a plain white plate with black lettering. It's ugly. Considering getting the custom plate in blue. Website says its like $350 for 10 years. $35 a year doesn't sound bad, but are there other fees tacked on?

3. Where can I find inexpensive, good sushi in Garland? In Nola a spicy tuna roll of 8 pieces would be about $5. A plain crunchy roll would be about $4. I don't need a fancy dining experience...just good, fresh sushi.

4. Greek/Lebanese/Mediterranean food in Garland?

5. What's the best grocery to use that's not a Walmart or Target....mainly need FRESH produce. Tom Thumb is closest to us, but haven't been. Also saw an older run down Albertsons. We buy staples at walmart, but for things like produce and meat we want fresh. Near us hopefully and not a whole paycheck

6. Where is a good, affordable vet in Garland?

That's it for now. Loving being here so far. Learning our way around is fun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 10:43 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,176,603 times
I don't know about sushi but Garland has really good Vietnamese food. It's one of the three main spots in North Texas (along with Haltom City and Arlington) for Vietnamese. There are ton of eateries along Walnut and Jupiter streets.

Garland Vietnamese Restaurants | Urbanspoon

Regarding the front plate, I also see people without it and I've never heard of anyone being pulled over for it but I don't think I would tempt fate and a ticket by not having it. But I'm from California where I'm used to having two plates.

As for grocery stores, there is a Sam's Club in Garland as well as a couple of Krogers which, in general, are better than Tom Thumb.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:16 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,780,544 times
There are several grocery store threads in the Dallas forum. Just enter grocery stores in the forum search and it will bring them up.

The custom tag price is the added mark-up to your regular tag price. I guess it's whatever floats your boat, but I wish I had the plain white w/black lettering. Of course I haven't seen the new ones, but it wasn't that long ago I had to replace my tags that were white w/black lettering with the tag that is extremely colorful is the best way I know to describe it. It reminds me of a Colorado tag for some reason (and I don't even know what the tags in CO look like). Anyway, I hate the tag, but it's been on there for awhile now and I just don't pay attention to it anymore. It's like that with new things, if you can tolerate it for a little bit, usually it gets where you never think about it. (Can be cheaper on your pocketbook that way).

The family you're staying with should be able to help you out on a lot of questions. As to the front tag, call the police station and ask them if it is required or if they will ticket you for not having one. They'll know the answer and should be able to tell you the cost of the fine, if there is one. Or contact the TX DMV and they can tell you, actually it should be on their website.

Hopefully someone knows a good vet in Garland. I don't know anyone who live in that area.

There's probably threads already in the Dallas forum regarding fresh sushi or other questions regarding dining out or take-out. I remember the latest grocery store one and I think I've read some of the dining out threads (but I could be wrong and it could have been somewhere else I was reading it).

Old 09-01-2012, 02:31 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,176,603 times
According to this, two plates are required in Texas, though it seems there has been some legal back and forth on the placement of the one on the front.:

http://www.tmcec.com/public/files/Fi...s-in-texas.pdf

Old 09-01-2012, 03:19 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,437,805 times
I don't know about Garland for Sushi, but if you are ever up by Forest Lane in your travels, one of the best spots for inexpensive, but excellent, sushi in Dallas is Sushi Yama. Saturday or Tuesday nights are great for $1 Sushi, but it is reasonable any time.

As for the front late, I have been pulled over for it. I was coming home from a bar.... stone cold sober I might add, and it was one of those things the police could use as an excuse to pull you over. I was clearly sober, and the cop only gave me a warning. I was driving my Discovery II which had no spot for a front plate, is aluminum and hard to drill into, and the cost for the correct bracket is ridiculous. I epoxied a generic autozone to the bumper. Looks fine, meets requirements, makes no holes, and cost $5. I'd just do that.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:26 PM

764 posts, read 1,659,051 times
1. I've only been here 10 months with 1 license plate and I've passed, driven behind, and even stopped and chatted with a policeman and never been pulled over or asked about it. Keep in mind I drive a minivan. It's probably like the seatbelt laws. If you look like trouble, the police will have 'some' reason to pull you over.

2. Don't just do a custom plate, there are TONS of specialty plates to pick from...https://rts.texasonline.state.tx.us/...rvlet?grpid=60

5. Best fresh food would be at the Farmers Market in downtown Dallas. But, if you want a little more variety, I'd try the Tom Thumb, or drive to the Signiture Kroger over in Rockwall. They've got a pretty good selection. If those don't do it for you, you can "upgrade" and go to the central market (or whole paychecks).

6. Dr. Ernesto Hernandez, Animal Medical Clinic, (214) 324-5221, 11437 Shiloh Rd, Dallas, TX 75228. He is the best vet we've ever had. (We move around a lot.) He is knowledgable, takes the time to talk with you and his prices are very reasonable (cheap) and I wonder how he even stays in business. He truly loves what he does and I'm so glad my neighbor recommended him. The office is beat-up, run-down and clean - I know he's not spending my money needlessly on the "atmosphere". Ped meds are reasonable as are vaccinations (about 1/3 of what I was paying in MD). Of course he's an Aggie Vet, so that in and of itself makes him special. Animal Medical Clinic in Dallas | Animal Medical Clinic (214) 324-5221 & 11437 Shiloh Rd, Dallas, TX 75228 | <Professional Services/Animals & Pets/Veterinary Medicine> - Yahoo! US Local

Good Luck with Garland.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:17 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,331,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globe9 View Post

4. Greek/Lebanese/Mediterranean food in Garland?
I don't know of any in Garland, but Richardson has plenty and it's not far from Garland. Start with Afrah on Richardson's Main Street (Belt Line Road); it's popular and busy. There is also a sushi restaurant in Richardson Heights (SW corner of Belt Line and 75) with a good rep...I think it's called Masami...I've never been though.

Zorba's in Far North Dallas (Preston road just north of 190) is an extremely popular local Greek restaurant; depending on where you are in Garland it might not be too bad of a drive.

There are lots of Greek and Middle Eastern restaurants in DFW; Dallas has a decent-sized Greek community and a growing Middle Eastern community. Richardson in particular has a lot of residents of ME descent. Just today I was at the Kroger at Belt Line and Coit and spotted a woman wearing full-length robes and a niqab. That is a bit unusual since most ME women here, if they observe Islamic dress at all, usually only wear a hijab...but I crossed paths with her several times as we traversed the store and I didn't see anyone staring at her or gossiping. I regularly see women in Islamic dress at the Belt Line/Plano Road Super Target and Lowe's.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:25 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,270,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globe9 View Post
We're staying with family in South Garland until we buy a new house.

You received some great suggestions here but most of the places suggested are a long drive from South Garland. I suppose that you are somewhere close to I30?

I think your questions about the cars have been explained and the link to the DMV was included.

3. Where can I find inexpensive, good sushi in Garland?

Check The Royal Buffet in Rowlett. They have a suhi buffet. I personally don't care for sushi but the people that accompanied me said it was good.

4. Greek/Lebanese/Mediterranean food in Garland? Unfortunately none in Garland but a drive to Richardson will give you a nice selection. I second Afrah on Belt Line. They are about to move to a bigger, nicer location too, so their prices will likely go up too.

5. What's the best grocery to use that's not a Walmart or Target....mainly need FRESH produce. Costco in Rockwall straight down I30 is a great store for fresh produce. Kroger isn't bad for fresh produce.

6. Where is a good, affordable vet in Garland? Country Book Animal Clinic is by Firewheel mall.
Welcome to Texas BTW.

Naima

Old 09-02-2012, 10:28 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,709,148 times
We have been pulled over 3x in TX when traveling on the highways outside the DFW area for no front license plate; once on the way to Shreveport, once driving to NOLA, and once heading west on our way to Santa Fe. Never in the DFW area.

Try Aldi's for good prices on veggies. You might enjoy going downtown to the farmers market for the most fresh products.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas