Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 05:03 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,197,397 times

Advertisements

I don't think Greenville Avenue hurts property values, in fact they just went up nearly $30,000 around there in the last year (how is it in McKinney?). And new homes approaching a million bucks are going up on both sides. I think Greenville is an asset. You can walk to some wonderful places, sit at the sidewalk cafes and see friends, classmates, neighbors, people-watch, car-watch etc..Everyone is friendly and not trying to ask what your job is or what you drive or one-up you all the time. The restaurants there beat anything up north. No chains, thank the Lord. "Lowest Greenville" is a little more for the college drinking crowd - but here still there are $300-$400-$500K townhomes going up all around. And the way the streets are situated down there it doesn't really affect the neighborhoods much. I mean unless you live right there, there really are no problems. St. Patrick's Day is too much for a few grouches, but most people have parties on their porches and in their front yards and wave to those walking by -- or they might even offer a beverage!

Last edited by Lakewooder; 10-11-2007 at 05:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 05:29 PM

45 posts, read 187,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post

Something I do not think you get is that having kids changes everything in the realm. I am not saying that condesending towards you at all. I am saying it because I / we did not really get it until we live(d) it. THAT is what the OP is asking about. Not about dainty insults about hometowns. The info about Tucson was useful to me in that I just had an offer to go there this morning. Sounds like they have similar values to around here. No Go.
I agree completely with this. There are places I lived when I was single and when I was first married that I would never live with my kids. Kids change the way you live. You think it won't change ya but it does. For example, I didn't think the schools here in Tucson were that bad and I would be fine sending my kids to school here, but then you start noticing things like broken bottles on the playground, bums sleeping across the street from the school or right next to it, minimal supervision on playgrounds, new grafiti every week, etc.. and you realize you just don't feel comfortable leaving your kid there. What parent would?

PS. If you need more information on Tucson, let me know. I have been here a little over 5 years.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:36 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,560,274 times
Lakewooder, the topic is not money.

It is about decent places to raise kids.

Lower Greenville is not.

Do you follow what Avi Adelman has gone through just to get some basic law enforcement down there?

BarkingDogs.org | Taking back our neighborhood!

Avi is trying (with difficulty) to have a small area to be able to raise his kids in.

A couple of years ago, Heather and I went and visited and followed his operation in great detail. We came away with the belief he is probably in a losing battle. Most folks have come to that decision. As long as the city is for turn-the-quickest-buck-fastest-for-the-"right"-people this is the outcome. If it works for you -- good for you. Like you say -- Laugh all the way to bank.

It does not work for most folks with kids to think of.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:04 PM

1,004 posts, read 3,758,010 times
I guess it depends on how you define kid-friendly.

If cookie-cutter neighborhood, boxes made of ticky-tacky, new, megachurch is your definition of family and kid-friendly then the very popular suburbs are perfect.

If you think real diversity (including socio-economic), non-corporate environment, less sterile subdivisions, a better outdoor experience (I'd let kids ride their bikes in 75214 much rather than in some drab zip like 75002. And no, the vast monotonous prairie that is Allen or Frisco isn't attractive for outdoor activities) is more to your liking, the nice areas of Dallas are better.

Regarding crime, schools: I think that crime risk in Dallas is very exaggerated. Look up crime in the metroplex, it is spread quite evenly. Sure, there are more run down areas inside the loop but there are also some that are as safe or safer than the suburbs. And about schools: The suburbs aren't all that great. Huge peer pressure to be popular and rich. Drab to boot. No wonder heroin and cheese are popular with the students, who are anonymous in a maelstrom of clones.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
It is about decent places to raise kids.

Lower Greenville is not.
Maybe, if you are living right next to this street.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:36 PM

58 posts, read 222,210 times
We live in Lakewood, as do Galore and Lakewooder, by the sounds of it. I have lived in East Dallas for about 15 years now. I moved here after graduate school.Dallas (within the beltline) is a good city. Clean cut people (for the most part), nice, clean streets, etc.

HOWEVER, a little dose of realism is needed here.

DISD is in a shambles. Completely. I know everyone will tell you the Lakewood Math Maniacs trumped the kiddos at St Marks once, or that Woodrow Wilson is a great school undeserving of it's bad reputation, but the honest simple fact is that DISD is an overburdened, too large district with a history of administration bilking funding from the schools for their own personal gain. You will find school after school within DISD that doesn' t perform like University Park, Southlake, or even Plano schools.

Like living in a cool, hip, historic area? Well, Lakewood is IT. The elementary school is getting to be .... OKAY. I have a child in kindergarten in Lakewood. Most of the mothers I know in Lakewood send their children to St John's (private), Lakehill (Private), St Thomas (Private)..... do you catch my drift???

However, you will pay extraordinary taxes to live in this great neighborhood. For instance, you can pay $550K for a house and expect to pay around 11K in taxes annually. Well, when you consider that your school is ..... OKAY, but not excellent, well, it's something to consider. The schools are just average, nothing great. If you're happy with that, then old East Dallas is a great place to live. Otherwise, be prepped to cough up some serious dough to send your kid to private and to pay your annual taxes!!

So...... there are many other neighborhoods within Dallas city limits which are similar. Preston Hollow, etc. If you're truly looking for clean, suburban living, don't let the "townies" dissuade you from it... because different strokes for different folks. There is nothing wrong with living outside the beltline of 635, i.e. in the suburbs. You'll have a clean neighborhood and you won' t have to worry about the problems you've described in your neighborhood in Arizona.

Life is not all about image... who cares about all the corporate BS of living in N. Dallas? These people are looking for a good place to be, affordable housing and something good for their kids. Yes, the suburbs have their own problems as well, but we live in a large metroplex, and you'd be hard pressed NOT to find these problems, given the population of Dallas.

So, if you're looking at Dallas, look at whatever neighborhood you feel you'd fit into the best.... and I'd suggest renting for a bit to really get a good feel for what you want. You'll learn a lot by meeting other parents in the area and beyond. Good luck with your decision!!!

Old 10-11-2007, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoire2002 View Post
We live in Lakewood, as do Galore and Lakewooder, by the sounds of it.
Actually, I don't (I am in Lake Highlands) but I would if I could have afforded a similar lot in Lakewood.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:57 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,560,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post
Maybe, if you are living right next to this street.
Problems go a little (a lot) deeper.

I had not looked at Avi's site in a good while --

He had a peeing, drunken co-ed photo contest for a while back when. Had local folks take pictures of drunken co-eds with their pants down around their ankles peeing in the local folks yards from most any weekend night. Make a pretty fun contest of it, and posted it all on the internet. Reminds me a local joke -- Q: Do you know an SMU co-ed's mating call? A: "I am soooo drunk!"

Now he has a "tell your burglary story" story line going on:

Just the facts: Burglary stories from the victims | BarkingDogs.org

One guy's story on there seemed to sum it all up . . .

Quote:

Comment re crimewave, sent to Council Member Angela Hunt and BD

I have lived or rented in the M-Streets for about seven years. Monday or Tuesday, while I was out of town, the backdoor of my 1920s arts & crafts was beat down and the valuables stolen. (I bought it less than two months ago.) Two months prior, I moved away from a home at Vickery and Homer because my car had been broken into twice in one month and I seemingly couldn’t do anything to stop it. Each break in required a $500 deductible for repairs, for a total of $1000.00.

The important angle is this… All of my friends that are the same age as me have moved from the area specifically because of this crime that they and that I have encountered. I am the very last one left of a group of over 20 of us. In fact, it has become a joke among our group that when I travel to 972, I have to endure the new car smell pumped into the air. They comment that when they travel to 214, that they have to call their loved ones and strap on their Kevlar.

While we have fun with this banter, there’s a very real trend behind it... While those in their mid-twenties once rented and then bought within the area (I have rental props in the M-Streets, so I have sense for this), they now rent, are criminally violated and move out when it comes time to buy. If they are single, they often move to Uptown. If they are with another, they move to Lake Highlands or the safety of the burbs. This concerns me because this youth is good for the area – it always has been. Youth in the area contributes to upgraded homes, better businesses being in the area, higher sales, etc. All of which provides for very high home value which equals more property taxes for the city. Blah, blah, blah… . . . .

(more)

Old 10-11-2007, 10:41 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,154,689 times
Thank You Victoire For Your honesty.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:15 AM

47 posts, read 163,655 times
trifan6- Where do you live in Tucson???? I'm a native and it's too bad you didn't get better advice on the schools in Tucson. I did lots of research and we are extreemly happy with our daughter's school here in Tucson.

We just finished building a home at the base of the Coronado National Forest (Northeast part of town). We have an ariel view of city lights, the most beautiful sunsets you've ever seen (I'll try to post some photos!) with wildlife sightings almost daily. We've been in our house just two months and so far we've seen....

3 bobcats
5 Deer
A racoon on the back patio this evening!
several javalina

We are surrounded by thousands of saugaro cactus. My neighbor down the street said, "I've lived in a new state every three years and Tucson is our favorite city of all.......we think we'll call it home". Several of my husbands colleges are here from the east coast and love living here. Every city has it's pro's and cons. I know the beautiful scenery in Tucson will be somthing I'm truly going to miss.

I do agree children change everything...there's no arguing that one!!! We will be in Dallas next week and I'm still at a loss on schools. One principal in Dallas today told me my husband and I could not have a school tour because they only give tours the first Tuesday of the month. She said she couldn't make an exception even for someone coming in from out of town, that we would have to fly back on the first Tuesday of the month to tour the school!!! (Lakewood Elem. DISD) So....every city and district has it's issues. I've herd very positive things (only positive) about Stonewall Jackson (DISD)and plan to visit this school next week. My husband will be working in Dallas metro area (UT Southwestern).

TUSD is spotty but I'm a former teacher and there are some outstanding schools in the district you just have to find which one's and have a look.

Good Luck with your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas