Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2012, 10:03 AM

3 posts, read 3,251 times

Advertisements

I am thinking to buy a single family home in community with $350+ single family home and 150+ town home in same community. As single family home and town home will bring in different income group together would this be negative from re-sale perspective?

nothing againt lower income group but just want to make sure the investment value does not go down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 11:48 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
My own personal view is that it's a negative when resale is concerned. The townhomes have a greater likelihood of being occupied by renters, not owners, and that impacts the resale of the neighborhood as a whole. I've talked to a few realtors about this same issue and the ones I've talked to have agreed that it's definitely not a plus. However, if you can buy the home for under "market" value, it still may make sense to purchase, provided you get enough of a deal.

As a general rule though, I'd say it would hurt resale a bit, or at the least, tether the SFH's so they don't appreciate as much as they normally would.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:04 PM

990 posts, read 2,303,464 times
Its going to be different per neighborhood. I would take each case individually.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:47 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,393,819 times
Your best bet is to break even on a townhome. However, low income groups aside, there's nothing you can do to guarantee the value of your home won't go down.

Historically safe bets have been Park Cities then Southlake/Westlake and parts of Plano. Still around 2009-2011 there were homes down 20% in some of those locales.

However as they like to say, 'past performance is no guarantee'.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:32 PM

5,265 posts, read 6,405,851 times
Completely agree with GreyDay. Outside those areas listed (and a small few others) what you should expect in the DFW area is not that your home appreciates no matter what it's built next to, but just rather that it hold its value. It's very tough though, as the metroplex is relentlessly sprawling and reading the average post here will show you the mindset that newer is better and TXDOT does a really good job of keeping the highways ready to support the sprawl.

In other words, the group of people willing to pay $200k for a used house is smaller when they can drive 20 minutes farther north and get a brand new house of equal or slightly greater sq footage for $180k and that $180k house is in a master planned community and the older one isn't. Of course, if gas increases greatly, then that equation changes, but I wouldn't bet on that happening any time soon.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:02 AM

3 posts, read 3,251 times
thax all for your feedback
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: