Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2007, 05:46 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,938,326 times

Advertisements

OK, the denomination for Cathedral of Hope is United Church of Christ.
It is a very progressive church even though they happen to do a very traditional service on Sundays.

So Cathedral of Hope offers everything you want from a typical mega church traditional service. United Church of Christ also happens to be inter faith based. So you will see a lot of "traditions" from other Christian denominations thrown in!

The people for the most part were super friendly. There were some overly serious people there and I tended to stray away from those types.

There were about 1,000 or more people at the traditional service. What did it have? Well there was a bunch of jovial singing from the MASSIVE choir, they even had a mini-orchestra play some music, and then there was the sermon (which was really neat, stayed positive and God focused), and the communion which was of course great.

This is a GAY friendly church. As I saw lesbian and gay male couples holding hands and expressing appropriate affection at the Church.

The atmosphere seemed mostly pleasent and very friendly. There were greeters and welcomers galore. The pastors were also willing to greet and talk with people after the service. There were some snacks in the welcome center/Church Store. There was also some art work displayed in the main church hallway. The stained glass windows are beautiful. A small part of the sermon hall is decorated with candles. Outside the church is a mini-garden and rainbow flags. About 5 minutes before the service began massive bells were chimed. The Church also has two moderately sized screens for those people on the sides and in the back to look at during the sermon and during "sing along".

I suggest you check it out if you lead a liberal lifestyle, or are democratic and Christian!
It was a BLAST!! And I was very impressed by the grandiosity of it all!!

Cathedral of Hope is located in the 5000 area on Cedar Springs in Dallas. About 4 miles or more past the dance clubs. They have a contemporary evening service on WEDNESDAY Nights. On Sunday I believe they have TWO traditional services.

I'd say that this Church tops all of the churches I've ever been to in my LIFE.

Last edited by artsyguy; 10-15-2007 at 06:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 12:03 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,543,442 times
GREAT!

Good for you, Artsyguy.

We have done the Winter Solstice a couple of years ago, there, and it was great, too.

We will probably take the kids this year. Anyone know what the dates / schedule for it is this year? Probably the night of the Winter Solstice. huh?

Old 10-16-2007, 02:07 PM

Not even sure what you are talking about

Old 10-16-2007, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Not even sure what you are talking about
Hey, sorry to be lazy.

I hit a search and found this:

Moonlady Pages: Winter SolstiCelebration (http://www.moonlady.com/sols/currentsol.html - broken link)

it says:

Friday December 21, 2007

seating music at 6:30
service from 7 to 9 pm
social hour from 9 to 10 pm

We think it is great.

See you there, if you would like.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:50 PM

That still didn't give me a good idea of what it is exactly.

Is that like a special event that occurs at Cathedral of hope? Or is it a typical service?

So are you gay and raising kids or something?

Do you know if the Wednesday night contemporary service is held in the main hall?

Old 10-17-2007, 08:53 AM

Quote:
That still didn't give me a good idea of what it is exactly.

Is that like a special event that occurs at Cathedral of hope? Or is it a typical service?

So are you gay and raising kids or something?

Do you know if the Wednesday night contemporary service is held in the main hall?
That "moonlady" link covers the details better than I could.

It is a once-a-year celebration there, from what I follow -- yunno the Winter Solstice only happens once a year It is the underlying celebration that Christmas was created to cover over.

As for me gay, not particularly, thanks for asking. But that is what is great about the C.O.H. It does not matter.

As far as Wednesdays . . . dunno at all. With little monsters, we are lucky to hit anywhere even on Sundays.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:55 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,715,302 times
I'm by no means an expert, but as I understand UCC and UU churches welcome and celebrate people of varied beliefs. UCC tends to be more Christian based, and UU not as much. It's not uncommon to find subgroups within the churches that would define themselves as Christian, Jewish, Athiest, or Pagan. The winter solstice celebration would be one of those Pagan celebrations.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:29 AM

I had never heard of it until now.
As long as it isn't about worshiping or praying to other Gods or Spirits then that is fine.

I could see it as a learning experience.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:05 PM

Quote:
I had never heard of it until now.
As long as it isn't about worshiping or praying to other Gods or Spirits then that is fine.

I could see it as a learning experience.
That is about my view, as well.

As far as hearing about one variation or another, it is a little bit amusing to me how much of current holiday (Holy Day) activities are masking or mingled in their Pagan roots.

Not only Christmas with the Winter Solstice, as we were talking, but Easter with Ishtar -- on and on.

I suppose we tend to be a little tongue-in-cheek with the whole thing. A few years ago, Mrs. Phil dressed up as Jesus for Halloween, with a name tag that said, "Hello my name is JESUS. Love me or go to Hell." But then again she founded the GLBT group at her univeristy while studying Christian Education. Thought that might amuse you.

It is a mixed up world. I sort of view it that we could all do with a little of your philosophy -- it is a learning experience. Best to you, my friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: