Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 07:29 PM

1,009 posts, read 2,461,271 times

Advertisements

Do the classes get better in middle school? Do the teachers get better? Do the English teachers actually have reasonable English skills? Can the math teachers actually do the math that's being covered in the book? Are the worst teachers being used to teach the gifted kids, or are the best? Are the classes still going to be slowed down to the dumbest and laziest kid in the class, or are there going to be some minimal standards? Are teachers that waste half the class time playing on their cell phones still going to be common?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 08:00 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,572,779 times
Looks at OPs location... opcorn:

Old 04-20-2017, 06:32 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,176,660 times
Elemantry is usually easier, things go up few notches in middle and come to full swing in high school. If you have issues about some teacher or school, contact teacher, counselor, principal or district administrator responsible for your school. If you have concerns about honors or PACE classes, contact that department. Go attend school board meetings, join PTA, volunteer, educate yourself about policies and resources, get involved.

If they made elemantry more intense, parents would go crazy. Elemantry years require a relaxed pace. We hear complaints about high schools all the time and they are only trying to prepare kids for rigor of college and do offer regular, honors and IB/AP tiers as options. In such a big district its very difficult to keep all the people happy, all the time. Parenting philosophies and idea of rigorous academics is so different for different people.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:11 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
IMO
Middle school isn't better or worse than elementary because everything really depends on the classroom teacher--
In MIddle school kids usually migrate from class to class and teachers are supposed to be teaching their stronger subject--but not always the case because of team structure and overall teacher composition
If you are having issues w/your child now do you understand why you are frustrated...
We had issues with teacher in elementary school who wanted to label our son as ADD when she was really just a BORING teacher...
He was gifted---in the G/T strand but that did was not all inclusive--only a pull-out couple of days a week for enrichment

The curricula in elementary has changed a good deal since my kids were in school because of teaching for the tests and because districts are being forced to a very mathematical assessment of quality/results for teacher/program success...
Some teachers ARE NOT very good at coping with all the multifaceted requirements they are faced with...
Some teachers come to education w/o very good preparation/skills themselves...
Often because they came from a general college degree and went into education w/o actually being an education graduate...

I was English teacher and had great background in grammar
I found many issues with how my children's teachers actually didn't understand grammar rules they were teaching
And found same weakness in teachers I taught with in high school...
I think math or chemistry or history teachers could make the same complaint about teachers in their Dept...
My daughter is an excellent elementary teacher in a FL school that is only G/T
There are plenty of teachers there who are not pulling their weight because they lack the skills or desire to put forth their best efforts
but there are also students in her G/T school who cheated (private psychologist tested them and found they "made the grade" when their past record didn't show the ability) to get in and who struggle to keep up

If you are unhappy with what your child is experiencing in elementary school--
and it sounds like you are--don't assume it will get better in middle school--
It could get better w/different teachers and admin and class structures but it could be worse-
Social pressures escalate in middle school and add to problems kids might have in the classroom
But you also have to consider if you have unreal expectations for what is supposed to happen-
Teachers can't give 1 to 1 teaching to every child in a 24 to 1 ratio---they can't give 24/7 feedback to parents--
Teachers aren't responsible for correcting every problem a child might have----like forgetting to do homework multiple times, being disruptive in class (if s/he IS the instigator), not performing at the level the PARENT thinks the child should...

I don't know what your child's issues OR YOUR issues are specifically...and this forum probably is not the best place to air them
But sounds like your child is capable of doing more than regular curricula--
Has s/he been tested for any enhanced programs or G/T ability?

I can certainly understand how frustrating it can be when a parent and teacher or school admin do not see eye-to-eye about why a child may not be doing well in school though--
As a parent and a teacher--
And I know neither the parent nor the child are ALWAYS the ones to blame for problems
But I also know that some parents just have no clue what is reasonable performance or expectation levels for their child or a school...

PS--in my district it was against the district rules for ANYone to use a cell phone during class time...
Teachers or students...
So I would certainly ask for conference w/teacher AND admin staff to address that issue--
Would also NOT mention the topic before had and at the meeting ask for the teacher's phone to be checked by the admin to verify if it was being used during class...
I think that is a reasonable request---and one that if the teacher knew was coming could enable clearing phone history of useful info...

Last edited by loves2read; 04-20-2017 at 08:21 AM..

Old 04-20-2017, 12:29 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,748,805 times
Just FYI - Plano allows phones in the classrooms as a tool. Teachers can require they be put away or in a box at the front of the classroom if they are not in use. Actual playing would be an issue but I'm not sure if that's the case or if this is stemming from multiple frustrations.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:37 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,176,660 times
He is talking about middle school and use of cell phones by teacher during class time. That should be reported.

Old 04-20-2017, 03:23 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,001,526 times
Elementary: probably had the best overall collection of teachers. It was "easy" but you felt like you were learning something substantial each day. The weakest students haven't really been culled.

Middle School: probably the most fun and anxiety-filled portion of school. I had an "A" average without studying and was able to make some side cash doing other people's homework. Witnessed lots of altercations. Kids from tough backgrounds struggle to navigate.

High School: the more challenging classes had the best teachers and the environment was perfect for learning. Troublemakers and poor students seemed to disappear gradually each year from Freshman year to Senior Year. I realized that many kids with better grades and test scores weren't necessarily "smarter" than I was. Instead they had SAT prep classes and spent more resources maximizing their potential.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:19 PM

2,512 posts, read 2,216,689 times
Honestly, it really depends on the schools. Your question is way too vague.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:22 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compSciGuy View Post
Do the classes get better in middle school? Do the teachers get better? Do the English teachers actually have reasonable English skills? Can the math teachers actually do the math that's being covered in the book? Are the worst teachers being used to teach the gifted kids, or are the best? Are the classes still going to be slowed down to the dumbest and laziest kid in the class, or are there going to be some minimal standards? Are teachers that waste half the class time playing on their cell phones still going to be common?
You could always go be a teacher yourself and fix all of the issues you appear to have with teachers.

Old 04-21-2017, 06:46 AM

554 posts, read 684,326 times
FWIW, I have a hard time recalling anyone in my entire life asserting that middle school was "better" than anything...

Even in the nation's best private schools with near-limitless resources, the middle school years are often rated lower than the elementary and/or the high school years. The onset of puberty tends to render even the best schooling environments less effective than their potential. If you are hoping that your current district's environment will improve simply by moving up to the middle school level, I think you are in for a rude awakening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: