Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 04:41 PM

326 posts, read 962,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
Yeah, but I haven't seen any news about it in a year. There was an even bigger and better "midtown" development announced in 2009. It was located nearby but it was canceled. Wish at least some of it had been built. Here's the rendering:

Bye-Bye, Dubai. Nighty Night, New York. - Dallas - News - Unfair Park
Here's an updated article from a few days ago:

“A big game-changer”? Next week, Dallas’ plan commission to get first glimpse at future of Valley View-Galleria area | City Hall Blog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 07:12 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Made_it_To_the_Metroplex View Post
Isn't the VV site supposed to anchor this whole Midtown city-within-a-city concept thingy that was announced a while back?

Whatever they're doing, they're not doing it for a while.

Too bad, because that particular section of D hasn't ever been nice and it's getting crappier.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:49 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,487,046 times
Default More sprawl for Prosper

Exclusive: Developers kick off $1.2 billion community in Collin County town of Prosper | Dallasnews.com - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

Old 04-09-2013, 12:52 PM

212 posts, read 410,010 times
Walmart coming to Coit and Arapaho. Some neighbors not happy.

Far North Dallas Wal-Mart fight is probably lost, but there

Old 04-09-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanyMalone View Post
Walmart coming to Coit and Arapaho. Some neighbors not happy.

Far North Dallas Wal-Mart fight is probably lost, but there
This is relatively old news for those of us in the fight.

I agree that it's almost certainly a lost cause, but I'm still going to raise hell about it. We already have a Neighborhood Wal-Mart (that is never very busy) on Coit and a larger Wal-Mart at Midpark and 75, plus a huge Wal-Mart and Sam's at Coit and 190. We do not need another one.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:07 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times
What is going in to the space in an existing center on the NE corner of Preston and Parker? It looks like a Sprout'. Any idea or news?

Old 04-09-2013, 01:21 PM

172 posts, read 355,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
This is relatively old news for those of us in the fight.

I agree that it's almost certainly a lost cause, but I'm still going to raise hell about it. We already have a Neighborhood Wal-Mart (that is never very busy) on Coit and a larger Wal-Mart at Midpark and 75, plus a huge Wal-Mart and Sam's at Coit and 190. We do not need another one.
Residents should have a say but why would Walmart open one if there is not much business there. They'll take away business from their existing branches.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:38 PM

212 posts, read 410,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pama View Post
Residents should have a say but why would Walmart open one if there is not much business there. They'll take away business from their existing branches.
I'm conflicted. I will miss Durango and picking up my Urban Acres co-op share at Spanish Village. I'm not much of a Walmart shopper and I agree there is no need for another one. But there is also no need for a decaying strip center, which to my mind is probably more detrimental to the neighborhood than a thoughtfully architected Walmart.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:54 PM

172 posts, read 355,761 times
Quote:
I'm conflicted. I will miss Durango and picking up my Urban Acres co-op share at Spanish Village. I'm not much of a Walmart shopper and I agree there is no need for another one. But there is also no need for a decaying strip center, which to my mind is probably more detrimental to the neighborhood than a thoughtfully architected Walmart.
That's a sensible approach, unless residents can raise funds or get city to to revive that strip mall. It's so chic and PC to fight Walmart but there should be an alternative solution to offer.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
They will be closing the Neighborhood Wal-Mart on Coit and I assume their strategy is to pull in business from the existing Albertson's at Hillcrest and Arapaho, the Kroger's at Coit and Belt Line, and the Tom Thumb at Arapaho and West Shore...not to mention the Super Target at Coit and Campbell. I would not be surprised if their aim was to force the closure of the three supermarkets mentioned above.

Quote:
Quote:
That's a sensible approach, unless residents can raise funds or get city to to revive that strip mall. It's so chic and PC to fight Walmart but there should be an alternative solution to offer.
If you guys check out the Facebook group, you'll see the people there are brimming with alternate suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas