Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 12:43 AM

1,315 posts, read 2,680,702 times

Advertisements

Frisco, Southlake neighborhoods ranked as tops for families | Dallasnews.com - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

Frisco is seriously kid central!Great for those seeking that environment....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 12:32 AM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,784,183 times
I would say that Frisco, Grapevine, Southlake, and other "hot spots" are kid friendly. I'm sure there are many others...

Old 04-22-2013, 07:40 AM

794 posts, read 1,670,716 times
Plano neighborhoods offer social, residential amenities for young adults | Dallasnews.com - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

It seems that DMN is using articles as adverts.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:48 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW747 View Post
Yet another reason why I don't live there.

I was stunned to see Prestonwood listed there. Prestonwood has a lot of older people; I wouldn't think it was kid-centric at all.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:08 AM

3,836 posts, read 4,443,155 times
Allen is chock full of kid stuff as well, but this seems to be the trend around the DFW suburbs, all trying to pull in the affluent young family with kids to put down roots...though it's going to be interesting in 20 years time when the majority of the residents in these suburbs are no longer young parents but empty nesters, surrounded by nothing but kid play parks and activities.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:50 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Allen is chock full of kid stuff as well, but this seems to be the trend around the DFW suburbs, all trying to pull in the affluent young family with kids to put down roots...though it's going to be interesting in 20 years time when the majority of the residents in these suburbs are no longer young parents but empty nesters, surrounded by nothing but kid play parks and activities.
It happened to Richardson as the demographics and schools got hollowed out by the residents aging and not moving. The trend is shifting back towards young families, but it will take time. The area is definitely on the upswing and I think that will continue to be the case if the schools remain outstanding and gas prices remain high.

It's not as kid or family-centric as the northern suburbs, and that's just fine with me.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:56 AM

276 posts, read 528,694 times
I believe that a normal neighborhood should have natural demographics of people of all ages. Locking babies in daycares and seniors in nursing homes is a very artificial way of life. However, very few people stay in their 3500 sq feet homes once kids leave so its a cycle of life that new families buy those properties and thankfully towns aren't turning into seniors only enclaves.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:59 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,405,851 times
Quote:
interesting in 20 years time when the majority of the residents in these suburbs are no longer young parents but empty nesters, surrounded by nothing but kid play parks and activities
The DFW area leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to kids play stuff when compared to other major cities, including restaurants with kid play areas that aren't McDonalds, indoor play areas, and museums for when the weather is poor. I think this area could double the number of businesses and still be underserved.

Portland for example has a freakin' brewery with a legitimate kids area. It stomps DFW kid-friendly restaurants by a country mile, and it's still a cool place to go if you don't have kids.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:25 PM

953 posts, read 1,830,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Yet another reason why I don't live there.

I was stunned to see Prestonwood listed there. Prestonwood has a lot of older people; I wouldn't think it was kid-centric at all.
Good for you AND for others!

Old 04-22-2013, 01:27 PM

953 posts, read 1,830,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
I would think it will be revolving door as in any suburb with older folks moving out and newer families moving in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas