Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 10:15 AM

317 posts, read 840,923 times

Advertisements

I'll be living in the richardson area, and am wondering, which groceries store do you recommend for daily supplies. I come from a place where every one goes to Walmart and Target so I'm really not familiar with Tom Thumb, Kroger, HEB, costco, etc etc.

I have my asian groceries mapped out, but I don't know where to go for routine things (i,e, eggs, milk, meat, trash bags, detergents, toothpaste, random kitchen accessories, etc etc etc).

We don't need speciality items, but in terms of a 'one-stop' shop with variety and low cost, which do you prefer? Is it better to hit different stores? Besides Super walmart and Super Target, what are the more popular stores?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 10:30 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,820,805 times
HEB is not in Dallas except for Central Market. You'll go there for your unusual things not found at regular stores. Kroger is less expensive than Tom Thumb, but you'll really end up just going to the grocery store closest to your house as the gas to get to the next store is the difference in price if you're at TT instead of Kroger. Costco is for stocking up and storing things like paper towels and toilet paper and snack foods that you go through quickly. They also usually have a nice selection of beer/wine/liquor depending on which location you go to and if that are is wet/moist/dry on selling alcohol.

Old 08-24-2014, 01:55 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,765,157 times
I like Kroger, Central Market & Trader Joes. Rarely do I go to Target or Walmart for groceries. I'm in Dallas.

Old 08-24-2014, 02:21 PM

974 posts, read 2,186,982 times
I find Aldi's to be good for some things. Prices are usually lower in most cases and there are quite a few locations.

Old 08-24-2014, 04:42 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,851,628 times
Aldi's is cheaper and their brands are European in general but I like them better than the usual American ones like Campbell, Hunt, etc.

Be warned that they don't take checks or credit cards, just cash and debit cards. Bring your own box or bag as they don't have any and you are the bagger.

I like Kroger as well and they are more convenient.

Old 08-24-2014, 04:50 PM

953 posts, read 1,831,712 times
Only for food items (incl. produce) we go to Whole Foods and TJs. Occasionally Sprouts. For some dairy and meat, go to a local ranch. Everything else it is amazon.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:07 PM

574 posts, read 1,479,159 times
LOVE the Kroger Signature store on Mockingbird...I do my big weekly grocery shopping there. About the only places that can beat their meat prices are the Mexican grocery stores like La Michoacana, El Rancho, Fiesta, etc. Weekly I also go to Central Market for most of my produce. You can't beat the variety there and if you buy in season the prices are extremely competitive. Central Market also has very good prices on dairy items (milk, butter, cream cheese, etc. is usually cheaper) so I usually get those here when I need to stock up.

Every couple of weeks or so I do a Trader Joes run. My favorites here are all their bagged leafy greens (best pricing and they freeze beautifully; if you don't want to freeze them, I can usually get a bag to stay fresh for at least 1 1/2 weeks), soy products for my vegetarian girl, wine for cooking, grassfed meats when we're on a health kick, and their sprouted breads (they also freeze really well...we don't eat a lot of bread so usually have to freeze half a loaf so it doesn't spoil). Trader Joes also has the best prices on frozen fruit. My kids are big smoothie drinkers so we always have a freezer full of assorted fruit.

I find Tom Thumb to be the most expensive of the lot. Of course that's the one that is usually closest to just about everyone. When I need just a handful of things and don't want to go to the Kroger or Central Market I will do a quick Tom Thumb run.

I try not to go to WalMart as it is never a pleasant experience in my opinion. When I do find myself there I stock up on canned goods. Their meat, although inexpensive, all seems laden with sodium solution. I will not buy meat or produce there if I can help it.

Love Ranch 99 and HMart for Asian groceries. We try to do that once a month when we do our Costco run. You cannot beat HMart for seafood. My parents eat mostly fish and they make the trip to HMart Plano weekly to get their fix.

I would suggest trying a variety of stores before finding your favorite. Different stores appeal to different people so while I may love Kroger someone else might not. You will quickly determine which store you don't mind visiting on a regular basis. And like many of us, you may find that it takes 2+ stores to satisfy all your grocery needs.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:33 PM

1,718 posts, read 1,056,666 times
I like Brookshires close to my house.

They will wrestle you if you don't let them take your groceries to your car for you. Lol

Old 08-24-2014, 07:34 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,304,124 times
I shop lots of places; it's easier to list the stores I DON'T shop at!

I don't go to Tom Thumb....too expensive. I still check their circulars for the odd good deal they offer.

I don't buy produce at Wal-Mart, but their frozen vegetable selection is second-to-none. They're also almost always cheapest for non-perishables.

I don't ever buy produce at Target...it's WAY too expensive there. My local Target's frozen food section sucks.

I don't regularly shop at Central Market; too pricey and too far away.

I pretty much never go to Trader Joe's; too far away and I can get the same stuff much closer to home.

I go to Whole Foods to buy only one thing; it's Whole Food's own 365 brand so it's not sold anywhere else.

Paper products...I comparison-shop and use coupons wherever the deal is best, and I stock up. Sometimes I get a friend with a Sam's or Costco membership to pick up those for me in bulk and I pay them back.

I do my regular weekly shopping at Wal-Mart, Sprouts, and Kroger usually.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:43 PM

477 posts, read 1,052,392 times
I usually get my produce and dairy at Kroger as it's closest to me. I've been utilizing Amazon pantry for all nonperishable foodstuffs, paper products and toiletries. I price compared what I buy with Walmart and Amazon pantry was only about $1 more expensive total. Totally worth it to not have to step foot in Walmart and everything is delivered to my door in about 2 days. I can't wait until Amazon fresh is available here.

As for HEB, I keep hoping for one. I'd do all of my grocery shopping there, its that good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas