Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 06:12 PM

259 posts, read 510,533 times

Advertisements

Yes I know I know, yet another "I'm moving here" question, but before you refer me to the search function or the relocation link conglomeration answer me this...Is the Oak Cliff area a high crime area? I have heard that is in the process of gentrification (not a bad thing IMO) so that's somewhat good news.

It just seems to me like a decent tradeoff between being somewhat close to Downtown without paying the Highland Park rent prices. Oh and BTW I'm a single male in my 30s. Most I'm looking to pay is $1k for a nice one bedroom or a decent 2 bedroom. So far I have my sights set on The Grand Estates at Kessler Park (Trinity River area). If you have any more suggestions feel free to suggest. Please be nice :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 06:30 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,172,923 times
First off, welcome to Oak Cliff!

Oak Cliff is a big area covering a variety of different neighborhoods. North Oak Cliff, where the Grand Estates at Kessler Park is, is fine. When the trolley from downtown is completed next year, the Sylvan Thirty development is finished, and Trinity Groves is finished out, the whole area should really take off.

There's a newer apartment community, Zang Triangle, near Grand Estates that I think is nicer but it's probably more expensive. Luxury Apartments Dallas | New Apartments Uptown Dallas - Zang Triangle

Old 10-27-2013, 06:31 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
You should be fine if you exercise caution like in any ares. North Oak Cliff. "NOC" has a lower crime rate than south oc.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:54 PM

TrueDat, thank you for the warm welcome!! It is great to know the Trinity River area of Oak Cliff has plans to take off. Guess it's good for me to get in before it really starts happening. I looked at Zang Triangle as well before posting here...very intriguing to say the least though a bit out of my willing to pay range. I'll visit anyway, I could be swayed.

Squirl, that's the info I was hoping to hear. I mean I don't expect to live in a Utopian vacuum, but I'd rather not be in an epicenter of crime.

I'm excited NOC it will be!!

Old 10-28-2013, 09:38 PM

64 posts, read 116,392 times
Good luck with your move and welcome! I do like OC and it is nice and close to downtown (i guess you will be working in downtown?) BUT keep in mind that it is on the other side of the river and traffic on the bridges can be heavy and if there is an accident on a bridge you can get stuck. East Dallas and Oak Lawn are also good areas, East Dallas has lots of anemities like Whole foods market, trader joes, liquor stores, tons of bars and restaurants, more than OC imo.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:43 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,172,923 times
True, but if he's working downtown and living at Zang Triangle or Kessler Estates, he can take the Houston/Zang bridge (which is never crowded) or even the trolley back and forth once it opens. But, yeah, the freeway bridges can get slammed and I expect it's going to get worse with the new I-30 bridge construction and the Horseshoe Project.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:35 AM

I was in town last weekend, and prior I was in the Metroplex in February, and before then in Summer 2012. What my visits all had in common noticing freeway construction. Thing is I'm not complaining because what it shows me is that the DFW Metroplex is serious about future planning as far as infrastructure.. I'm willing to sacrifice convenience on the front end in order to make things better for the future.

Old 10-29-2013, 03:15 PM

974 posts, read 2,186,138 times
The thing I've noticed is that while infrastructure construction can slow things down, they do move it along nicely considering the scope of the projects. I've lived in other areas where such projects seem to get bogged down in a certain "methodology" (like not working at night). Plus I've learned to adjust my travel routes and times-of-driving to avoid getting bogged down whenever possible. Hey..that's life in the big city.

Good luck with your move!

Old 10-29-2013, 03:43 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,299,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThereDunThat View Post
The thing I've noticed is that while infrastructure construction can slow things down, they do move it along nicely considering the scope of the projects. I've lived in other areas where such projects seem to get bogged down in a certain "methodology" (like not working at night). Plus I've learned to adjust my travel routes and times-of-driving to avoid getting bogged down whenever possible. Hey..that's life in the big city.

Good luck with your move!
DFW is growing by more than 100k per year. It has to keep the infrastructure up or it will be overwhelmed. (it might already be overwhelmed).

Old 10-29-2013, 04:02 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,170,052 times
I think if you go hang out at a few place in North Oak Cliff (or East Dallas) you will meet a lot of people - very friendly folks - who can help you out with your decision. Even though there are around 6 million people in the area, it's a small town in certain ways when you are in these areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas