Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2013, 11:25 PM

5 posts, read 8,370 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We'll be moving from NY to Dallas in about a month. Being not familiar with Dallas/ FW area, I started looking online for housing options. Ended up with repeated recommendations for Las Colinas, Coppell & Irving. Plano & Frisco would be little far from my new Job. Our few must have includes:-

- Close proximity to Indian grocery store & restaurants
- Spacious apartment with few outdoor activities
- Kids friendly community/ more families with Kids

I'd appreciate recommendations about various communities within Las Colinas & Irving, that are safe and can provide enjoyable living for my family. I am looking for at least 2 Bed/ 2 Bath app (1200 sq. ft. or more), and looking to keep my budget under $1500 including all the overhead expenses such as utilities, cable etc.

Thanks,

Devsa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 07:54 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,172,355 times
Is your job in Las Colinas itself? Because you should be able to find all of what you're looking for in Las Colinas. Large Indian community in Las Colinas/Irving (Las Colinas is a part of Irving), and tons of different apartment options.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:55 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,907,938 times
Just a word of advice, being south Asian, and moving from ny with family. There is a huge indian population over here. Trust me, you don't need to live in desi (fun term for "indian")- central to be close to any and every amenity. Think of irving/las Colinas/valley ranch as your "Jackson heights"--with cleaner better infrastructure though. If that is what you are looking for to be only around Indians in the center of indian..go for it.

Personally speaking, I have seen more Indians want to live around Indians here, than being brought up in cali or ny. I think you will fall into the stereotype of "that's where all the Indians live" if you are trying to position yourself and family to be only around Indians.

There is such a wonderful multi cultural aspect of living in dallas, that I actually feel you don't need to choose to live near "one kind" of color or ethnicity or heritage, and it can work against you esp with children. In this day and age, it better for children to be exposed to all types of people so they can get used to it in the real world.

Trust me, I have been quite overwhelmed at the amount of desi religious places of worship/groceries/community that is in the metroplex. You will have NO problem finding what you need, you don't need to seek out a specific area.

Find something close to your job, good schools for the kids and a nice clean safe area...the rest will fall into place. :-)

Feel free to pm if you need to.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:04 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
Any apartment community in zip code 75063 that feeds to Coppell schools will be ideal.

Next choice is 75038, 75039 or 75063 that use Carrollton/Farmers Branch schools. Las Colinas Elementary is a very desirable school in zip code 75063 that is in CFISDSCHOOLS, As are all the elementary schools serving 75039. Irving is extremely diverse and all of Irving has a very balanced ratio of Asian Indian, Hispanic, Anglo, and African American.

I was standing at a cash register at the Las Colinas Steinmart store last week. The cashier wore a berka, in line with me was a customer of every possible ethnicity.

Recommend you budget about $300/month for utilities.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
Is your job in Las Colinas itself? Because you should be able to find all of what you're looking for in Las Colinas. Large Indian community in Las Colinas/Irving (Las Colinas is a part of Irving), and tons of different apartment options.

It's is actually in Medical School District. Can you suggest names of few good apartment communities.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
Just a word of advice, being south Asian, and moving from ny with family. There is a huge indian population over here. Trust me, you don't need to live in desi (fun term for "indian")- central to be close to any and every amenity. Think of irving/las Colinas/valley ranch as your "Jackson heights"--with cleaner better infrastructure though. If that is what you are looking for to be only around Indians in the center of indian..go for it.

Personally speaking, I have seen more Indians want to live around Indians here, than being brought up in cali or ny. I think you will fall into the stereotype of "that's where all the Indians live" if you are trying to position yourself and family to be only around Indians.

There is such a wonderful multi cultural aspect of living in dallas, that I actually feel you don't need to choose to live near "one kind" of color or ethnicity or heritage, and it can work against you esp with children. In this day and age, it better for children to be exposed to all types of people so they can get used to it in the real world.

Trust me, I have been quite overwhelmed at the amount of desi religious places of worship/groceries/community that is in the metroplex. You will have NO problem finding what you need, you don't need to seek out a specific area.

Find something close to your job, good schools for the kids and a nice clean safe area...the rest will fall into place. :-)

Feel free to pm if you need to.

I completely agree with what you've mentioned about exposing the kids to diversity. And I guess you probably interpreted my message differently. I've mentioned about easy access to Indian store and area with more families with kids, doesn't necessarily mean Indian. Not to mention that I live on Long Island and In my town I haven't seen not even a single Indian family in my neighborhood.

But your recommendation is very well taken.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Any apartment community in zip code 75063 that feeds to Coppell schools will be ideal.

Next choice is 75038, 75039 or 75063 that use Carrollton/Farmers Branch schools. Las Colinas Elementary is a very desirable school in zip code 75063 that is in CFISDSCHOOLS, As are all the elementary schools serving 75039. Irving is extremely diverse and all of Irving has a very balanced ratio of Asian Indian, Hispanic, Anglo, and African American.

I was standing at a cash register at the Las Colinas Steinmart store last week. The cashier wore a berka, in line with me was a customer of every possible ethnicity.

Recommend you budget about $300/month for utilities.

Hi Squirl,

Appreciate your response. I looked under zip code 75063 and many options came up. I will spend some time going over each one of it. But Is there any preferred apartment complex in particular you would suggest?

Old 11-01-2013, 06:56 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nydallas View Post
Hi Squirl,

Appreciate your response. I looked under zip code 75063 and many options came up. I will spend some time going over each one of it. But Is there any preferred apartment complex in particular you would suggest?
Here are recommendations I have:

Parkridge Place in Las Colinas, great location and uses Las Colinas Elementary Irving Apartments For Rent - Parkridge Place - Directions | Milestone Management

Casa Valley - in Valley Ranch so a bit farther to work - Coppell Schools Valley Ranch Apartments - Casa Valley - Map

Archstone at MacArthur - in LasColinas - very close to the DART rail station and also close to Thomas Jefferson Park. TJ Park is a hangout for the Desi crowd (just fyi, not steering you) I don't know the schools Archstone at MacArthur Apartments Community Amenities | Archstone Apartments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: