Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2013, 08:24 AM

127 posts, read 178,473 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am a long-time DFW resident, currently living in a small town on the north side of Lake Lewisville. We have a large lot as lots go, but we'd like some more space. I am a classic car guy, and own 5 of them. 4 of them are going through some degree of restoration/refurbishment. My 2-car garage just isn't cutting it anymore. I'd like to find a place with one to two acres that either has an extra garage or shop, or the room to build one.

We lived in Coppell for 18 years and have friends there, and family in Argyle and Flower Mound. So we are checking out the northwestern FM, Copper Canyon, Argyle and Double Oak area. We particularly liked Double Oak. Driving through there I saw several separate garages with classic cars. I'd like to be in an area where there are other classic car enthusiasts, as the camaraderie is a big part of the fun of the hobby.

So I have a couple questions. Can anyone who lives in DO or some of the other areas tell me about how difficult it is to build a garage/shop with respect to zoning and so forth? Where I am now there are several issues. I actually have the room, but we can have no front facing garage doors and that makes it hard on this lot. Plus, the building has to be all rock or brick. Can't have any metal buildings. They are making some really nice looking metal buildings these days, but can't do it here. It gets pricey to build it with brick. The other thing here is no free-standing building can be more than 30% of the square footage of the house (w/o the existing garage).

Also, are there any "gotchas" about this area, or any of the individual towns I mentioned? 407 is being widened and looks pretty close to being done, so that's nice. The 407/2499 intersection looks like it has, or will have pretty much all the basic shopping necessities. We're not big shoppers. Grocery, home improvement and auto parts stores comprise most of our shopping needs.

My wife and I are both IT professionals, and both work from home, so commuting is not an issue. One thing we liked about Coppell is they had run Verizon FIOS. Out here all we can get is AT&T DSL, and we seem to have frequent issues with it. I think I read DO has FIOS, is that true? Any other of these areas have it?

Thanks for any info you can give me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 09:02 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,110,251 times
Can't help you with those locations, but have you thought about doing a metal building and then covering it with a brick/stone facade?

Those faux stone coverings are lightweight, look like real stone, and would be cheaper than building the entire thing out of brick. I don't work for this company, but here's an idea...

Garage Photo Gallery | GenStone

Old 11-05-2013, 10:31 AM

127 posts, read 178,473 times
I've never seen that before, seems pretty cool. I'll have to look into it. Thanks.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:06 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,563,339 times
My parents are building in that area now and have done a lot of looking at lots. Much has depended on the individual neighborhood. If you can find a house/land not in a neighborhood, you will likely have more leeway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas