Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 12:09 PM

19 posts, read 42,514 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am moving to Dallas in February and looking to start college for Registered Nurse . Do you know any affordable colleges in DFW area?
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 01:59 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,554,983 times
Are you a Texas resident? That may matter in it being "affordable"

Off the top of my head, Baylor has a program (in Dallas), as does TWU. Not sure about UNT. I believe UTA does as well.

My sister just completed an excellent 1 year accelerated program at Texas Tech. She had to move to Lubbock, but I believe she said there were rumblings of starting a program in the DFW area.

I will say nursing school was more competitive than she initially thought to get into (she's a good student) and not being a Texas resident may drastically lower your chances...something to think about if that is the case.

ETA: This is what you want to look at!

http://www.bne.state.tx.us/nursinged.../rnschools.pdf

Get the RN...it is getting much harder to get a job without it

Old 12-10-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
Are you a Texas resident? That may matter in it being "affordable"

Off the top of my head, Baylor has a program (in Dallas), as does TWU. Not sure about UNT. I believe UTA does as well.

My sister just completed an excellent 1 year accelerated program at Texas Tech. She had to move to Lubbock, but I believe she said there were rumblings of starting a program in the DFW area.

I will say nursing school was more competitive than she initially thought to get into (she's a good student) and not being a Texas resident may drastically lower your chances...something to think about if that is the case.

ETA: This is what you want to look at!

http://www.bne.state.tx.us/nursinged.../rnschools.pdf

Get the RN...it is getting much harder to get a job without it
I am not resident of Texas yet, moving in February. I know I will have to pay more ( for 1 year). But I want to start now, I know that i need to take some pre requirements, before starting nursing program. I am 29. Its never late, right.... I actually have bachelor degree , but its from other country. I will try to transfer some credits.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:47 PM

611 posts, read 2,233,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilySJ View Post
I am not resident of Texas yet, moving in February. I know I will have to pay more ( for 1 year). But I want to start now, I know that i need to take some pre requirements, before starting nursing program. I am 29. Its never late, right.... I actually have bachelor degree , but its from other country. I will try to transfer some credits.
this is incorrect

if you start school before you have established residency you will pay out of state tuition for the entire time it takes you to complete the degree

to establish residency you have to live in Texas for 12 months and be gainfully employed that entire 12 months

Old 12-10-2013, 06:16 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasVines View Post

to establish residency you have to live in Texas for 12 months and be gainfully employed that entire 12 months
This is true. You need to come here and work for a year and then go to school unless you want to pay a lot more.

The most affordable RN programs will be the county community colleges. Dallas CCCD teaches their nursing program at El Centro in downtown Dallas. Tarrant CCCD teaches theirs at the Riverside campus, which is in downtown Fort Worth. Do keep in mind that these are Associates degree programs, not BSN. If you want a BSN, you need to look at UTA, TCU, or TWU. those will be significantly more expensive but it is the full bachelors degree.

Do not do a LVN. The job market for them is not good.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:36 PM

Thank you. I thought I ll pay out of state tuition just for the first year ....

Old 12-10-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
This is true. You need to come here and work for a year and then go to school unless you want to pay a lot more.

The most affordable RN programs will be the county community colleges. Dallas CCCD teaches their nursing program at El Centro in downtown Dallas. Tarrant CCCD teaches theirs at the Riverside campus, which is in downtown Fort Worth. Do keep in mind that these are Associates degree programs, not BSN. If you want a BSN, you need to look at UTA, TCU, or TWU. those will be significantly more expensive but it is the full bachelors degree.

Can you tell me What is the difference between associate degree nurse and BSN?

Old 12-10-2013, 09:02 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,554,983 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, I had these confused myself in my first post. I gather RNs are both BSNs and associate degree nurses--I mistakenly assumed RN=BSN. You want to be a BSN (Bachelor of Science in Nursing) in order to get a job. My sister mentioned something about recent changes that have made an associate degree in nursing for new grads very unmarketable, at least in Texas. I'll have to ask her the specifics.

Here is my advice (based on what my sister just went through, but I'll run it by her and see if she has any other advice. She came across more than one person in your situation while she was going through the process)

Definitely do a BSN or see if your foreign degree will qualify you for what I believe is called a "Second Degree BSN" program. This is what my sister did. She already had an undergrad degree, took pre-reqs, and applied to the one year accelerated second degree program at Texas Tech (which is the one I mentioned earlier, but I think there may be another in the Dallas are and/or Tech is planning on starting one here)

Website below, but it doesn't seem to be working right for me:

https://www.ttuhsc.edu/son/secwbsn/

Consider becoming a nurse tech (CNA--Certified Nursing Assistant) while you take your pre-reqs. It might help you get into nursing school and it isn't a bad paying job to get you through the year. My sister also did this and believes it strengthened her application and helped her get good references. Check out rehab hospitals and nursing homes for jobs.

Definitely wait until you have established residency before applying to an actual BSN program for two reasons. 1. the lower tuition 2. It may be near impossible to get in without becoming a Texas resident first

Good luck!

Old 12-10-2013, 09:07 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Associates degree is just the 2 years of nursing courses only. If you just want to work as a staff nurse, do home health or hospice, or work in a nursing home, that's fine. You won't be able to hold a management position in a hospital that has magnet status, though.

Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) is the full 4 year degree. This will allow you to hold a management position in a hospital and gives you a competitive edge against other nurses who just have the Associates degree.

CNA doesn't pay well... Going rate is about $12 hourly...

Old 12-10-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
Consider becoming a nurse tech (CNA--Certified Nursing Assistant) while you take your pre-reqs. It might help you get into nursing school and it isn't a bad paying job to get you through the year. My sister also did this and believes it strengthened her application and helped her get good references. Check out rehab hospitals and nursing homes for jobs.

Definitely wait until you have established residency before applying to an actual BSN program for two reasons. 1. the lower tuition 2. It may be near impossible to get in without becoming a Texas resident first

Good luck!
Thanks for all the info. Where did she take CNA classes?
Is it true that I can take pre-reqs in any college?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas