Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2014, 05:06 PM

948 posts, read 1,139,977 times

Advertisements

I am looking to buy single house in north dallas area. I like the old/gym style rectangular pools but unfortunately seems like they are outdated and all new houses from 1995 onwards seems to have the custom/amoeba/weird shaped ones. I am a swimmer, so pool is a high priority. I don't like going to community/gym pools either. These custom shaped pools doesn't look convenient for doing laps. What are the standard dimensions (depth, length, width) on these type pools. Are they at least half the size of the gym pools?I haven't seen one in real other than internet listings, those pics are tricky and seems to deceive the viewer.So what are my options? Can I get one big enough that suit my needs?

For instance, how big is this pool
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/81...26661898_zpid/

Last edited by nitynity; 01-05-2014 at 05:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 05:26 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
I'd hate to be a pool builder today, the backyards are so small it's hard to build a decent one.

That's about the average size and most now are no more than about 5-6 ft deep. Maybe 25-30ft long.

You seldom see a lap or diving pool due to small yards.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:58 PM

793 posts, read 1,222,362 times
We are thinking about installing a swim tether in our small pool to allow continuous swimming. I have heard they work well...but no personal experience. The tether itself is not that expensive but not sure about installation cost.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:17 PM

19,786 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTC Mom View Post
We are thinking about installing a swim tether in our small pool to allow continuous swimming. I have heard they work well...but no personal experience. The tether itself is not that expensive but not sure about installation cost.
I installed a devise, IIRC it's called, "The Swim Tether", for my neighbor. It took less than ten minutes. I'm sure paid handyman would do it for $50 plus travel money.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:34 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,746,551 times
The home you linked to is 4054sf on .44 acres with a 450sf pool. I have friends with a similar size lot, a 6000sf home and a 500sf pool. And their pool is much more what I think you are looking for. They've designed it much more grecian for lack of a better term. I'm not sure I particularly like that pool with their home, but that's a style issue. I believe you can do a pool like you are looking for if you do it creatively. The key will be the lot.

As Rakin pointed out, a lot of the pools are really just shoe-horned into a backyard because the lot won't allow for anything different.

We had friends who put in a pool and a nice patio area and it ate their backyard. Which would have been fine if they were empty nesters. But two pre-teen active kids and a yellow lab puppy weren't so thrilled.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:47 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,408,419 times
there is no standard size for a residential recreational pool. Like others have said, it's governed more by the lot size and how much lawn space the owners want. most pool codes in the Dallas area don't even call for a setback from the property line. Personally, I feel the organic shaped pool design is prevalent because of pool builders wanting to spend as less time as possible on pool construction. When it's freeform, you don't have to be as precise with the excavation or plumbing so the job moves faster and the finisher has more wiggle room.
My pool in FL had a tether and I hated it. Luckily, the pool was rectangular with shallow, curvy bumpouts for lounging. I found the design to be a good compromise.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:09 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
I always figured my average cost to maintain a small / medium size pool was about $150a month in electrictity, chemicals and maintenance if I did most myself.
I would suspect a larger and deeper lap dive pool would add quite a bit to the yearly expense.
The larger the pool the more it cost to maintain.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:21 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,634,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
there is no standard size for a residential recreational pool. Like others have said, it's governed more by the lot size and how much lawn space the owners want. most pool codes in the Dallas area don't even call for a setback from the property line. Personally, I feel the organic shaped pool design is prevalent because of pool builders wanting to spend as less time as possible on pool construction. When it's freeform, you don't have to be as precise with the excavation or plumbing so the job moves faster and the finisher has more wiggle room.
My pool in FL had a tether and I hated it. Luckily, the pool was rectangular with shallow, curvy bumpouts for lounging. I found the design to be a good compromise.
"most pool codes in the Dallas area don't even call for a setback from the property line."

Your post contains a few inaccuracies and unfortunately this is the most misleading.

Moderator cut: edit note
every city has setbacks from the property lines and the home foundation (which includes foundation extensions that serve as "patios") though in most of the city of Dallas the foundation setback is still set at zero but property line setbacks still apply.

It's important to note when you are looking at a property for purchase where you plan on eventually constructing a pool to not only know the setback rules (they literally vary from city to city) but to also inquire about any easements PRIOR to committing. No permanent structure will be built over an easement by any reputable contractor, in fact they will not be able to get the plan past the utility companies or city in order to get a permit for construction or even most HOA boards.

Please keep in mind when looking at a property that while the backyard may appear to be of a sufficient size to build your dream pool, setbacks, easements and other restrictions can shrink the available "legal" area in short order.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 01-14-2014 at 12:01 AM.. Reason: Please send DM to OP. You can't recommend yourself on the forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: