Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 05:42 PM

83 posts, read 139,437 times

Advertisements

Also, a prestigious undergraduate school usually just equals huge student loan debt. My husband graduated from a cheap state school and has less than half the student loan debt from medical school than his associates graduating from expensive undergraduate private colleges. Here, not texas, being a state resident and a 3.6 or higher gpa and a good mcat score get you in. A lot of it is networking. And so far not going to an ivy has only worked against my husband getting a decent teaching job. It hasn't affected his salary whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 06:28 PM

19,797 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patish View Post
Also, a prestigious undergraduate school usually just equals huge student loan debt. My husband graduated from a cheap state school and has less than half the student loan debt from medical school than his associates graduating from expensive undergraduate private colleges. Here, not texas, being a state resident and a 3.6 or higher gpa and a good mcat score get you in. A lot of it is networking. And so far not going to an ivy has only worked against my husband getting a decent teaching job. It hasn't affected his salary whatsoever.
Where is here?
In Texas a 3.6 and a good MCAT score - call it 32 - most times isn't good enough to get into one of the big three medical schools (UT-Houston, UT-Southwestern in Dallas and Baylor in Houston). My son's roommate has a 3.85 GPA in BS - bio and a 32 MCAT and he didn't get a single Texas medical school interview let alone an offer of admission.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:10 PM

After digging around a bit - here's the percentage breakdown of undergraduate majors for UTSW's 2013 class.

These numbers are from UTSW's webpage..........
Biology/Cell/Neuro/Mole/Micro: 47%
Chemistry/Biochem: 17%
Honors Programs: 1%
Neuroscience: 4%
Other science: 5%
Business/Acct/Finance: 3%
Engineering: 5%
Liberal Arts/Humanities: 6%
English: 1%
Mathematics: 3%
Physics: 1%
Public Health: 1%
Other: 1%
Social Sciences: 4%

So 75% of the class have hard science undergrad degrees. And ~85% are STEM majors. Nearly everyone else has a minor in bio or bio chem or they spent an extra year in college taking bio courses.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:54 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
Rice. Plenty of excellent choices already mentioned though.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:57 PM

205 posts, read 279,343 times
here's some advice from someone who has gone through all of it.... go to the school where you wanna go and know you are going to enjoy b/c hey you're only going to be this age once and we are talking about 4+ years of your life...

i guarantee that your patients don't give a rat's a** about where you went to college, medical school, residency, fellowship etc etc etc

Old 01-21-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kretsch View Post
here's some advice from someone who has gone through all of it.... go to the school where you wanna go and know you are going to enjoy b/c hey you're only going to be this age once and we are talking about 4+ years of your life...

i guarantee that your patients don't give a rat's a** about where you went to college, medical school, residency, fellowship etc etc etc
Yea sure but all else being equal excellent undergrad + excellent medcial school = excellent STEP 1 and STEP 2 scores = the residency one wants, maybe second choice, instead of taking what one can get or worse as happened to so many this last year matching into no residency at all.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:47 PM

543 posts, read 1,382,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Yea sure but all else being equal excellent undergrad + excellent medcial school = excellent STEP 1 and STEP 2 scores = the residency one wants, maybe second choice, instead of taking what one can get or worse as happened to so many this last year matching into no residency at all.
You forgot = going on to a difficult residency = being a miserable human being. I'm partially being facetious but there are plenty of gunner types who end up just like that.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:49 PM

205 posts, read 279,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post

Old 01-21-2014, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyySung View Post
We want to be able to drive often to see our baby, deliver goodies from home and take a short flight in case of any emergency.

We are willing to pony up the private tuition as we feel that going to a higher ranking school with driven peers has some value. I feel kid's odds are better into getting a private school of similar level vs getting into a public school of that level. Do you agree that its worth it or it's just our unfulfilled dreams that we are trying to fulfill?

How would you rate majoring in business, public health or nursing to get into a med school.

I posted this elsewhere but here is the info. for UTSW's 2013 class.

Undergraduate Majors

Biology/Cell/Neuro/Mole/Micro: 47%
Chemistry/Biochem: 17%
Honors Programs: 1%
Neuroscience: 4%
Other science: 5%
Business/Acct/Finance: 3%
Engineering: 5%
Liberal Arts/Humanities: 6%
English: 1%
Mathematics: 3%
Physics: 1%
Public Health: 1%
Other: 1%
Social Sciences: 4%

Old 01-21-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezman View Post
You forgot = going on to a difficult residency = being a miserable human being. I'm partially being facetious but there are plenty of gunner types who end up just like that.
I'm sure that's true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas