Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2014, 08:08 AM

247 posts, read 379,565 times

Advertisements

Hello my wife and I will be moving to dallas soon. We want to rent near uptown/north dallas. Have a pretty nice budget for rent. My questions are:
How safe is uptown area? I would think being next to a major downtown some crime would spill over
What other some other safe trendy areas near downtown?
Any apartment recommendations? We want newer modern and some kind of wow factor. Maybe a few of downtown?

Just need 1 bedroom not super expensive but like I said we have. A comfortable budget
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 08:30 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Uptown is quite safe. The bulk of crime there are things that you can easily prevent- ie, I know a guy whose car was stolen while he left it running & ran in to pick up his dry cleaning (idiot....). Practice take/lock/hide principles with your car and you'll likely never have issues.
As for personal safety, again, use common sense. Don't go running on the Katy Trail while it's dark. Chances are low that something will happen to you, but a few people have been robbed or attacked there between the hours of 10pm-early morning. Not worth the possible risk.
Don't walk home stumbling drunk. Don't be an easy target.

Other than that, you have very very little to worry about in Uptown.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:45 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,266,293 times
Uptown isn't devoid of crime but the bulk of it is stuff like car theft or stolen wheels. There is a few cases of carjackings but their rare. You will find the place is heavily patrolled. Now with that said, I wouldn't take anything for granted and always keep a high situation awareness.

Old 02-15-2014, 05:16 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,170,832 times
If you're worried about Uptown (though you have no reason to be), you might look just north of that in Knox Park (more popularly known as Knox-Henderson). It's a bit quieter but has lots of condos/townhomes/apartments as well as some restaurants/shopping and is close to Uptown when you want it.

Knox-Henderson | Restaurants, Bars, Shopping and Apartments in Knox-Henderson, Dallas, Texas

Old 02-15-2014, 06:40 PM

990 posts, read 2,303,066 times
might add that Downtown isn't crime ridden either.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:43 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,298,351 times
If you are concerned about uptown, move a few blocks down to TurtleCreek. Pretty safe and a nice part of town.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:39 PM

18 posts, read 29,548 times
Uptown Dallas is very safe. It is also the number one "walkable" destination in Dallas, although there are others. I would not have any concerns about safety.

However, this will help you even further.

- I would make sure you actually live in UPTOWN, not in areas that are east of Uptown. The term Uptown is very marketable and popular here. So, places to live use the term UPTOWN in their marketing when they aren't in Uptown.
The border of Uptown is on 75 (east), downtown (south), Katy Trail (roughly) on the west and The West Village roughly on the north. If it isn't in this section, it is NOT Uptown.
- For example, the area just east of 75 also markets itself as Uptown. But, east of 75 are some more questionable areas. If you are concerned with safety, I would not locate east of 75.
- Uptown has had an occasional crime issue, such as theft, but the overall stats are good, better than many other areas in this area.
- Other areas such as Turtle Creek are fine, and great quiet places. But, you lose part of the reason for being in the area if you can't WALK TO many things. So, Turtle Creek is a great option, but it doesn't have as many things to walk to.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 02-25-2014 at 02:11 PM.. Reason: Sorry, but you must have 10 posts before providing links

Old 02-25-2014, 03:52 PM

18 posts, read 29,548 times
Another thought to help:
Uptown has several neighborhoods. I would make sure to choose the neighborhood of Uptown carefully.
Some of Uptown is more focused on young grads. But, other sections of Uptown would do nicely for a couple.
Specifically, I would consider these 2 neighborhoods:
- Crescent: This is the section of Uptown that is the most southern part. It borders downtown.
This is very clean and corporate section. It won't be right next to most of the "night life" of Uptown, but it will be within quick walking distance of McKinney Avenue (where you can quickly go to the night life). They have some excellent choices there.
Another excellent feature of this neighborhood is that you can quickly walk to the UPTOWN TROLLEY! That's a free trolley that will take you throughout Uptown, to dinner, etc. But, it's FREE. No taxi needed, unless it's a super late night.
- TURTLE CREEK: This borders Uptown directly. Many people think of it as Uptown...it is not, but it has a similar feel. And, you can walk to the Katy Trail, the very popular running/walking trail that goes throughout Uptown. I would recommend this area as well.

Moderator cut: spam
I hope that helps!

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 03-22-2014 at 09:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: