Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 05:55 PM

3 posts, read 7,105 times

Advertisements

My 2 children and I currently reside in Allen. With my office downtown, I am curious about moving to Highland Park to get the kids in the great school district. However, well aware of the socioeconomic demographic of HP, I am concerned that my children would not be as warmly welcomed by the 'natives'. I am a divorced working mother. Is that frowned upon in these communities? I'm not ignorant to think that a blanket statement is appropriate for any situation, but stereotypes and reputations evolve for good reason. We are an extremely social family and friends are like family to us. This makes it imperative that good friendships are feasible in HP, hence my motivation behind the question.

If you live or have lived in HP or UP, your experienced input is greatly appreciated.

Caveat: This thread is in no way meant to elicit bashing of any area. Educated experience with a suburb and HP schools is the information I am seeking.

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 08:19 PM

794 posts, read 1,230,540 times
We live in HP and one of my kids has a good friend whose mom is a divorced, working single mom. I'm sure being a single parent is tough anywhere but I think you'll be fine here if you are friendly, involved and outgoing.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:32 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,371,096 times
First, the Park Cities are one of the last places in this city where when someone new moves in, the entire block comes over with cookies and pies to say hello & welcome you! Each school's PTA has a "newcomers" chair to help welcome new families to the school. There is even an early childhood PTA attached to each elementary school that is great for parents & kids who are under 5 to make friends in the district before kindergarten. I don't think you need to be worried about the "natives" not welcoming you. Most of the natives can't afford to live in the Park Cities anymore!! Seriously, there are far more transplants in the district than there were 20 years ago when it seemed like everyone's parents really were HPHS graduates.

Regarding being divorced and a single/working mom, you won't be the norm but you won't be alone. It's definitely not frowned upon, nor will you be shunned! You'll just have to woke a little harder to get involved since you'll miss a lot do the activities during the day (unless you have a super flexible job).

The kids in HPISD are pretty nice overall and most of the parents are very involved and on top of things. It sounds like a good move for your family!

Old 03-05-2014, 04:19 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,304,689 times
If you can swing it, and it will save you over an hour each day in the car (time you could be spending with your kids), I would do it. Moreover, living close to your work will allow you to take early lunches for parent teacher conferences, sneak away for the 45 minute performances, etc.

I think you will find 80% of the people welcoming and friendly. There are 20% that will be difficult, but I suspect that is most schools.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:36 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,476,677 times
I agree with all the above posters. Another note to add is the sense of community in HP/UP, especially for new comers is outstanding. I know whenever a new family moved on to our block we would shortly there after have a block party(closing down the entire block) to welcome the new neighbor to the community. There will be some already established "groups" in school that your children may find a LITTLE difficult to break into(as some of the kids have been on sports team since pre-k), but as long as they have some sort of passion(sports, band, etc.) they should be just fine. Good luck!

Old 03-05-2014, 07:46 AM

88 posts, read 173,720 times
Your children get better schools, more time with their mother and live in one of the nicest neighborhood in the world. What's there to loose? They may have to deal with some snobs but who doesn't? You can't pass on lovely flowers because their will be thorns. Who cares if some look down upon divorced people, our president did quite well and so did her mother. People can't stay in bad marriages to make society happy.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:18 AM

Wow, these are all fabulous responses. Much appreciated and duly noted. Hopefully we will be moving May 1st.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:21 AM

794 posts, read 1,230,540 times
Hope it works out! A few things I learned from our move to HPISD last year:

- if you have elementary age kids, enroll them in their home school as soon as you have an address. Although it is rare, I do know two families who had to enroll in another school that had room because their grade was full at their home elementary. All the schools are great, but much better IMHO to be at your own school. Not an issue for 5th and above.
- if you have a child in K or younger, join the preschool association for your elementary as soon as can. I have found that group by far the easiest to get acclimated to the area quickly. They also have a working moms group that gets together 2-3 times a year. Even if your children are a little older, consider joining as a "sustaining" member. It's very inexpensive to join and is a great way to connect to other moms in the district.
- elementary age kids' team sports are run through the park cities y...so you may want to stop by and see what they have to offer. It's not a particularly nice facility and the staff is somewhat unorganized but we do a lot of activities through them.
- buy a season pass to the UP pool...kids of many ages love it.
- if you live in HP also check out the HP pool, which is less of a zoo. We joined and used both last year.
- if you are looking for summer day camps for the kids, there are many options. Don't overlook the camps sponsored by HPISD itself.
- I agree this is a friendly and welcoming place ...neighbors do stop by with baked goods and host welcoming parties for new neighbors but I'm not sure that happens for people moving into condos or apartments. No idea of your situation...just putting it out there to set expectations because I've experienced both scenarios.

Good luck and welcome!

Last edited by JTC Mom; 03-05-2014 at 10:00 AM..

Old 03-05-2014, 09:49 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,476,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTC Mom View Post
- elementary age kids' team sports are run through the park cities y...so you may want to stop by and see what they have to offer. It's not a particularly nice facility and the staff is somewhat unorganized but we do a lot of activities through them.
- buy a season pass to the UP pool...kids of many ages love it.
- if you live in HP also check out the HP pool, which is less of a zoo. We joined and used both last year.
I completely support all of these claims as well. The Park Cities Y and UP Pool are where elementary and middle school kids spend A LOT of outside school time with both of these organizations.

It's also a very active church community, so finding one of your liking will be also help to get you acclimated if you are religious.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:38 PM

What about non-denominational churches close by? We love our church in Plano and I'm hoping to find one of similar format with a live, modern worship band.

The Park Cities Y is at the end of the street where we are moving. My boys could walk there. They are 11 and almost 15. So that's great news. And I will definitely buy the pool passes.

Now I'm really looking forward to this move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas