Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 04:16 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,883,968 times

Advertisements

http://bizbeatblog.dallasnews.com/20...nclick_check=1

"Safeway Inc. today announced it is in discussions concerning a possible transaction involving the sale of the company. Although the discussions are ongoing, the company has not reached an agreement on a transaction, and there can be no assurance that these discussions will lead to an agreement or a completed transaction. The company will not comment further on these discussions at this time.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 04:22 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,649,465 times
Can't see the article without signing up for a free trial, but...

FYI, they recently started closing (may have already closed, actually) all their Dominick's stores in the Chicago area.

Sounds like Safeway has been having some troubles competing. Surprising as they're one of the biggies nationwide.

Old 02-19-2014, 04:26 PM

A free trial to the Dallas Morning News website? Huh?

Just go to the DMN webpage then.

Old 02-19-2014, 04:26 PM

3,821 posts, read 8,753,581 times
I believe they are completely out of the Chicagoland area now. Lots of big empty spaces apparently. And they are not near the competitive grocery market that Dallas is, nor has their economy rebounded to where there are companies looking for spaces like that.

I'm hopeful that we don't end up with a lot of vacant Tom Thumbs. And unfortunately with the lousy Albertson's brand running them, that's likely to happen. At least with Food Lion we ended up with lots of space for municipal offices, libraries and churches ;-)

Old 02-19-2014, 04:43 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,649,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
I believe they are completely out of the Chicagoland area now. Lots of big empty spaces apparently. And they are not near the competitive grocery market that Dallas is, nor has their economy rebounded to where there are companies looking for spaces like that.

I'm hopeful that we don't end up with a lot of vacant Tom Thumbs. And unfortunately with the lousy Albertson's brand running them, that's likely to happen. At least with Food Lion we ended up with lots of space for municipal offices, libraries and churches ;-)
My understanding and layman's observation is that Chicago is a very competitive market. Mariano's has been building substantially there. Kroger isn't there and Jewel is the Albertson's placeholder, but there are also many (many!) non-national supermarkets and smaller "produce/grocery" stores (we lived near a Eurofresh and a Caputo & Sons, the latter one of 3 supermarkets owned by that family in the area). Whole Foods and Trader Joe's have substantial presences as well as "The Fresh Market" (a favorite of ours).

That said, my knowledge of that biz is slim and none, heavy on the none.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:10 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,860,868 times
Bummer! Safeway's brand of individual portion frozen dinners are by far the best available. And quite reasonable in price! I may have to go buy a truck-load.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:27 PM

Other than actual Safeway stores which I've shopped at in the West, my experience with their wholly-owned chains (Ralphs, Randalls, and Tom Thumb) has been less than stellar. I've found them rather high-priced, even with my Safeway card. I got off on the wrong thumb with Tom Thumb because I live near what is probably their crummiest store in the metroplex, at N Central and Meadow. Old, tiny, dirty, smelly, with a suspect clientele. I went to one that was somewhat better, but I won't see Tom Thumb going as a major loss.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:29 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,127,458 times
A sale may not mean good-bye to Tom Thumb. Companies can change hands and still exist. Disney bought Marvel Comics and Pixar. Both companies are still seen around. Deutsche Telecom bought T-Mobile and now they are selling T-Mobile.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:35 PM

235 posts, read 347,530 times
Tom Thumb is a lot better than Kroger or Albertsons. I really hope they stay. A sale doesn't mean it will necessarily close down though, it might just change hands and continue to operate as it is.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:46 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,311,645 times
We have two Tom Thumbs in Richardson. Both have absurdly high prices compared to other stores around (Super Target, Kroger) and both are understaffed at checkout and as a consequence have ridiculously long lines. I won't be sorry to see them go, though I'd rather have Albertson's or HEB than empty supermarket carcasses. We already have the empty Whole Foods at Belt Line & Coit, the empty Albertson's at Belt Line & Plano Rd, and the soon-to-be-empty Neighborhood Wal-Mart on Coit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas