Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 09:46 AM

551 posts, read 1,099,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieplaya View Post
What did you pay for the house?
I paid 451k but again that is irrelevant to the unequal appraisal argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 10:10 AM

177 posts, read 312,009 times
Unless there are several or more homes appraised at less than yours (similar homes) you won't win the unequal argument. For example, let's say there are 4 similar homes to yours that are assessed at around $95/sq ft and yours is at $100/sq ft, then you have a valid argument that yours is "unequally" being assessed. Otherwise they are going by 'market' value which is what houses have sold for this past year up to Jan 1, 2014

Old 05-19-2014, 11:04 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,309,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieplaya View Post
Unless there are several or more homes appraised at less than yours (similar homes) you won't win the unequal argument. For example, let's say there are 4 similar homes to yours that are assessed at around $95/sq ft and yours is at $100/sq ft, then you have a valid argument that yours is "unequally" being assessed. Otherwise they are going by 'market' value which is what houses have sold for this past year up to Jan 1, 2014
Yup, and OP's sales price just vaulted every comp home on his street up to the $452k valuation for the ones being reassessed this year and the neighbors will have little ability to protest.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:05 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,309,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharpe View Post
I paid 451k but again that is irrelevant to the unequal appraisal argument.
I don't know how you bought a $450k house and seriously thought you'd continue to pay taxes on a $275k ( or whatever it was) taxable value.....

Old 05-20-2014, 01:55 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,618,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I don't know how you bought a $450k house and seriously thought you'd continue to pay taxes on a $275k ( or whatever it was) taxable value.....
^^^^This^^^^^

And if you protest based upon an unequal value, you need to do your homework, and you apparently didn't. Comparable assessed values for your neighborhood are available on their website; don't expect them to do your work for you.

Bottom line - it's next to impossible to get the value lowered if you have bought the house in the last year and it's unreasonable to be expect to be able to. I'm speaking as a 20+year property tax consultant (now retired).

Old 05-20-2014, 02:35 PM

551 posts, read 1,099,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
Comparable assessed values for your neighborhood are available on their website; don't expect them to do your work for you.
This is not true. You can see other properties assessed value but there is no way to run comps using search criteria. ex. find all homes in Lakewood built in the 1970's with 2600 sq feet. It was my understanding that they could provide that information.

Quote:
Bottom line - it's next to impossible to get the value lowered if you have bought the house in the last year and it's unreasonable to be expect to be able to.
Why is it unreasonable to have my assessed property value adjusted to comply with median value of other comparable proprieties in my neighborhood as the law provides for?

Last edited by pharpe; 05-20-2014 at 02:46 PM..

Old 05-20-2014, 02:40 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,172,928 times
I think I just figured out where you live.

:O

Old 05-20-2014, 03:48 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,618,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharpe View Post
This is not true. You can see other properties assessed value but there is no way to run comps using search criteria. ex. find all homes in Lakewood built in the 1970's with 2600 sq feet. It was my understanding that they could provide that information.

Why is it unreasonable to have my assessed property value adjusted to comply with median value of other comparable proprieties in my neighborhood as the law provides for?

Just because it's in Lakewood built in the 1970's, it's a "comp"??? Again, you can do it, it just will take more work.

It's unreasonable to expect it, because you just bought the property for essentially the same as the assessed value. If you THINK you can make a case based on the median value rule, go for it. But you will fail. Mainly due to the fact that the comparable median values are not that much under market value. Even if you take it past the hearing stage to court. Remember - it's not up to you to decide what's comparable. You are wasting your time. Bottom line - when any judge hears the sales price, you're done.

I speak from experience. But go ahead with your pipe dream if you want.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:27 PM

382 posts, read 629,282 times
Any danger in Collin or Dallas counties of an appeal resulting in an increase rather than a denial of a request for a decrease in appraisal value?

Old 05-20-2014, 05:07 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,818,804 times
Quote:
It's unreasonable to expect it, because you just bought the property for essentially the same as the assessed value. If you THINK you can make a case based on the median value rule, go for it. But you will fail. Mainly due to the fact that the comparable median values are not that much under market value. Even if you take it past the hearing stage to court. Remember - it's not up to you to decide what's comparable. You are wasting your time. Bottom line - when any judge hears the sales price, you're done.

I speak from experience. But go ahead with your pipe dream if you want.
You are talking about something completely different than him. Market Value is something completely different than "unequal" value. When there is a difference between unequal and market value, the LAW states that unequal wins every time. To that extent, it doesn't matter what he paid for it as market value. If he can show he's being unequally assessed compared to like properties, he has to win, it's the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: