Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 04:18 AM

953 posts, read 1,831,152 times

Advertisements

I don't really understand the difference between "thrifty lifestyles" and "cookie-cutter family" but most of the areas where you will work will be under cookie cutter except may be if you like to live near Keller or Grapevine mills downtown area...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 06:59 AM

5 posts, read 5,950 times
Thanks everyone. We probably could afford 1200 but not with additional 100 in tolls.

I just want to live in an area where we can walk to a y or something and I guess more urban. Maybe we r just not use to suburban living. We moved from an urban area and have lived in towns; but never lived in a suburb community. The walking piece is pretty important...

Maybe like local free music, non-Starbucks coffee shop. What about Addison? Is that a nice area? Or hurst? We have seen some places pretty affordable there. Oh and irving( there r a ton of places).

The commute from around mockingbird (love airport) u think will be bad?

Old 05-23-2014, 07:12 AM

212 posts, read 410,056 times
It "bad" is over 30 minutes, yes, it will be, particularly if you don't have flexibility in your work hours to choose a less trafficked time.

You are going to have to compromise on something. Even 1200 is low for a house. Decide which is most important - the commute time, the single family home, the urban feel - and work from there. If it were me, I would focus on the mid-cities as someone suggested upthread, get in my car and start driving around.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:14 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyf0818 View Post
Thanks everyone. We probably could afford 1200 but not with additional 100 in tolls.

I just want to live in an area where we can walk to a y or something and I guess more urban. Maybe we r just not use to suburban living. We moved from an urban area and have lived in towns; but never lived in a suburb community. The walking piece is pretty important...

Maybe like local free music, non-Starbucks coffee shop. What about Addison? Is that a nice area? Or hurst? We have seen some places pretty affordable there. Oh and irving( there r a ton of places).

The commute from around mockingbird (love airport) u think will be bad?
Your budget doesn't line up with your neighborhood expectations. The walkable, dense neighborhoods in Dallas are among the most expensive. Rarely can you find walkability + non- chain places in the burbs. If you can find anything near historic downtown Grapevine, that would be the closest to what you are looking for that is also close to your work.

I'm sure you would love some of the neighborhoods in Dallas like North Oak Cliff, Lakewood/ East Dallas, etc but $1,000 is more like 1 or maybe 2 br apartment budget , not a house or duplex. The neighborhoods around Love Field are very hit or miss; there are some rough areas particularly on the north side of the airport (off Webb Chapel/ Lombardy Lane) and there are some beautiful neighborhoods on the east side like Greenway Parks and Bluffview. If you can tell us where you are seeing rentals that interest you, we can tell you if they're in a good location or not....but generally, if you're seeing rental houses in the $1,000 range, it's not going to be a savory neighborhood. There is a 1br condo for rent in the good part of the Love Field area for $1150/mo to give you an idea of what a house would be ($2,000-2500+++). The commute to Grapevine would be approx 30ish minutes with no tollroads needed.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:21 AM
Mvc

175 posts, read 183,652 times
If you're looking for 'Non-Starbucks' a new coffee place just opened up on Main St. (North of NW highway) in Grapevine called Redefined Coffee and it is fantastic.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:47 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,881,949 times
And Buon Giorno on Hall-Johnson just east of 121 is always popular!

Grapevine is currently redoing the Community Activities Center. It will reopen in the fall for the gym part, and next spring, the new aquatics center will open. Dues now are $75 annually for a family, but they will go up when the new facility opens.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:56 AM

617 posts, read 1,042,207 times
As noted, there are going to be a lot of compromises involved. Purely on the question of culture, North Oak Cliff is among the few options. If you go to some of the events or classes at this place, you will unquestionably find some of those Brooklynish young families (speaking from experience).
Oil and Cotton

Even within N.O.C. you will probably have to look in the neighborhoods a bit farther out (south) and also look at duplexes, rather than houses, to hit the budget point:

Oak Cliff Neighborhood Map
Hampton Hills, Oak Cliff

Hampton Hills is beautiful, just a bit out of the way.

If you really want the Northeastern/Bklyn/Philadelphia feel, the city of Dallas is about the only option. But that is a much longer commute than you probably want. And the petty crime stats are undoubtedly worse than in Grapevine or in cheaper "cookie-cutter" suburban options with better public schools.

Basically, the compromises would be commute, price, schools....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyf0818 View Post
Hi!

My husband, son (1.5years) and I relocated from the northeast (Boston & Philadelphia). I work in Grapevine and we recently decided for my husband to be an official stay-at-home dad; therefore we are going to move to a cheaper place and potentially a BETTER neighborhood for our lifestyles. I was hoping this community could help.

We are trying to find 1) cheap, safe neighborhood 2) hopefully within 30 minute drive of 121 & William Date Tate 3) more of a northern liberties (Philadelphia neighborhood) or Brooklynish feel, where we have potential to meet more young families with similar sort of thrifty lifestyles and not necessarily "the cookie-cutter" family. 4) walk to park, neighborhood activities (maybe coffee shop or swimming pool). 5) My husband has had a hard time meeting friends (neither of us are big drinkers).

We have heard tons of "neighborhoods" names - Oak Lawn, Love Airport area - we have been living in west carrollton (south of colony) but are somewhat missing the more urban feel. Our budget is probably around 1000/month (want to rent) and would prefer a house or town home - NOT an apartment complex.

Any ideas? THANKS!!!

Old 05-23-2014, 11:28 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
If you want that you are really going to have to move to North Oak Cliff or East Dallas and get another job.

Old 05-23-2014, 12:26 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Top 10 Neighborhoods for Walkability | Dallas Morning News

Grapevine made the list!

Old 05-23-2014, 01:14 PM

25 posts, read 39,550 times
I would also love to live in a walkable neighborhood with non-chain shops and restaurants...the Oak Lawn or Uptown areas seem perfect. But while there are a few elementary schools that rate highly, the schools in those areas seem less than desirable. Where do people in these neighborhoods send their children? Do most people choose private schools? Is there any walkable neighborhood within Dallas that has attractive public schools from elementary all the way through highschool? We'd like to buy for the long term and not have to move when our daughter leaves elementary school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas