Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2014, 01:29 PM

6 posts, read 5,671 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am trying to decide if I want to relocate to Nashville or DFW. I know a little about Dallas and have heard only good things about it. I heard that the job market is good there as well. I use to stay in Dallas well Richardson and Garland area when I was young and I loved it. However things change when you are the mom and you have others that are dependent on you. I am originally from Fayetteville Arkansas. I will be graduating with my Masters Degree in Social work and I am planning to do therapy, medical social work or mental/psychiatric social work. All at a therapist level. I have two daughters, 9 and 15, so I am concern with what parts to live in. I would like to know what neighborhoods are child friendly, family oriented,reasonable and safe. What schools are good as far as academics. I would like to know if there are things to do with my children as well as with possible co-workers. Grown up settings for young professionals around early 30's and so on. I understand that I can't have it all but some things I can't do without. I am a country girl and I do not want to move to a place that is too fast for me or my girls. Just a place for advancement and room to grow. Fayetteville is a diverse area that welcomes everyone. However, it lacks a social scene for young professionals. I would like to keep my daughters in a diverse area so that they will know how to interact with others who do not look like them. I have a lot of family there in the DFW area who has lived there for years. I will be visiting the area soon in October so if you could provide me with any information pertaining to Dallas, I would greatly appreciate it. You can be as real as you want because I am a realist as well. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 06:35 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
You are asking very basic questions so I would recommend searching this forum and then coming back with questions specific to your situation or job offers. There are a gazillion threads in the Dallas forum discussing schools, family friendly neighborhoods, and things to do for fun in Dallas.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:56 PM

974 posts, read 2,186,138 times
Tough to give any advice as the DFW area is really a large cluster of urban, suburban, cluster-communities, etc.
Since you have relatives in the area, your questions may be better answered by them as they have the first-hand dope on their area. A lot of people first consider where work will be and then work backwards as the commutes can be tough if you
live too far away from the job.

Good luck!

Old 06-26-2014, 08:33 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,409,307 times
Based on your post, I'd recommend Nashville over Dallas.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:42 PM

6 posts, read 5,671 times
Default jdallas

Care to elaborate?? I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:37 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajp031 View Post
Care to elaborate?? I would greatly appreciate it.
I agree that you should consider Nashville over Dallas. Here's why:

You said you don't want "fast"...well, that's Dallas. FASTFASTFASTFAST.

As a social worker, you won't be making much. And that's OK. It's a calling; it's not something you do to get rich. However, the cost of living here is higher than Nashville. CNN's cost of living calculator states that a $45k salary would have to bump up to $50k in Dallas to have the same spending power.

School quality in affordable areas is hit and miss. Some of DFW's most affordable areas with a reasonable commute to Dallas's central business district (which is where you'd likely be working as a social worker) are Garland, Mesquite, and Richardson. Richardson's schools are great, but buying a house wouldn't be on the cards on a social worker's salary as house prices here have skyrocketed. You could rent, but Richardson doesn't have a lot of affordable apartments in nice areas either. Garland and Mesquite schools do not perform as well as other suburban schools do. Some schools there are excellent, I'm sure.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:07 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,409,307 times
^^ exactly what I was thinking as well. I'll add that being a single parent of two teenage girls in Dallas fresh from Arkansas would shorten my life span considerably. Dallas would eat them alive. I have lifelong friends in Nashville and it can be a good place to raise a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas