Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 02:34 PM

104 posts, read 432,407 times

Advertisements

While looking at floor plans for Texas homes, we noticed that there are a lot of models with Jack & Jill baths. In other states we have lived in, J&J baths were frowned upon when it came to resale. So tell me, does it matter - do you all have a preference????????? Thanks in advance for your replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 02:47 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailing Spouse View Post
While looking at floor plans for Texas homes, we noticed that there are a lot of models with Jack & Jill baths. In other states we have lived in, J&J baths were frowned upon when it came to resale. So tell me, does it matter - do you all have a preference????????? Thanks in advance for your replies.
If you mean bathrooms that are only accessible via another bedroom or are between two bedrooms, I disagree that there are a lot of them. You do see them much more frequently in older homes, though. My parents' house was built in the late 1940s/early 1950s and it has JJ baths; neither of the bathrooms can be accessed without going through a bedroom or a dressing room. I personally would not buy a house with that sort of layout.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:10 PM

583 posts, read 2,634,330 times
Hi Trailing--All the houses we looked at with J/J were small. (Not the house itself but the dressing area of the J/J). If I was 5-10yrs old I would think it was groovy but I am not sure how I would feel if I was a teen??? Darling and Highland (I think) do them quit a bit. It would NOT be a deal breaker for me though. How is the house hunting coming along??

Old 12-17-2007, 03:13 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,258,757 times
J/J baths are common in new construction but usually they are located on the second floor where there is also a third bathroom that can be accessed by guests using the gameroom without going through the bedrooms. There is really no preference, and they don't hurst resale either.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:33 PM

438 posts, read 1,783,810 times
During our year-long house hunt, one of the best bathrooms we saw was in an early-50s house with a JJ bathroom. One half was aqua tile and the other was pink. Sounds weird but was gorgeous. The rest of the house was wonky (not in a good way) so we passed. But we did love that bathroom.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:37 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fratermus View Post
During our year-long house hunt, one of the best bathrooms we saw was in an early-50s house with a JJ bathroom. One half was aqua tile and the other was pink. Sounds weird but was gorgeous. The rest of the house was wonky (not in a good way) so we passed. But we did love that bathroom.
My parents' bathroom has aqua tile. It's the master bathroom but has no bathtub...only a shower...and only one sink. I guess people weren't as high-falutin' back in those days. Then again, it does have a dressing room with a built-in marble vanity and sink right next to it.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:43 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
What is a negative is a second floor or even just 3 bedrooms ANYWHERE in the house that have to share 1 bathroom. A J&J is much better in that situation if there is only 1 toilet/tub/shower for 3 bedrooms and guests to share. We have TWO Jack & Jill bathrooms in our LARGE home both on the second floor. One is between two bedrooms where they each have their own dressing/vanity area which is a moderate size and the toilet and tub/shower are in the middle. This J&J bath is only accessible thru the bedrooms. The other J&J bath is between another bedroom and then a hallway off the gameroom. The vanity areas for that bath are HUGE! One counter is over 5' in length. I prefer the J&J baths especially when it is bedtime and my kids are getting bathed and there are guests in the house as they don't have to go down a hallway to and from the bathroom to their bedroom. With the J&J bath one person can be showering while another is brushing teeth, etc and not have to wait. I've yet to see J&J baths go out of style and don't see it anytime in the near future.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:44 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,427,044 times
We have a 2005 custom and saw quite a few customs and non customs that have J&J baths over on the FW side of the Metroplex. We also have a powder or 1/2 bath for company. We have a one and a half story home so all the "living" areas are on the single story.

One of the only things that I have found to be a downer as far as resale are Master bedrooms being upstairs (which is a standard in other states), poor schools or school districts and too few garages. Some people look at how the house is facing as a poor quality for resale, but we can't have all the houses with a North/South exposure .

Old 12-17-2007, 04:23 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,597,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
...The other J&J bath is between another bedroom and then a hallway off the gameroom.
I didn't think it was considered a J&J bathroom if it connected to a hallway.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:24 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,597,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guingirl View Post
Some people look at how the house is facing as a poor quality for resale, but we can't have all the houses with a North/South exposure .
Wouldn't that be a strange looking area with only n/s facing homes! I'm just happy ours is n/s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas