Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 11:48 AM

477 posts, read 1,053,193 times

Advertisements

These young buyers need to move into less desirable areas of the metroplex. I'm sure sfr's can be found in south garland right now. The neighborhoods and schools suck but eventually with more young families moving in, the area will get better. Just have to be patient. I guess that's the answer. Plus the commute to downtown is pretty good.

I'm just glad I got into Richardson before the boom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 12:20 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,334,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
And right there you just proved my point. Your first purchase cost you $150K. Perfect price for a starter home to get your foot in the door of the housing market. And you were able to pay $150K in your own words, at the very height of the 2007 market. .
You are hard of hearing / reading. My first place was a 1/1 condo with a study for $150k, NOT a house. There is plenty of good housing in great locations under $150k - STILL. You just are getting a townhome / condo vs a house.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
I am laughing my butt off you think there are 350K studios in Manhattan!!!!!

Studios are between 600k and 700K for the most part

New York City
They exist. There are plenty in Tudor City (Midtown East) as I looked a few years ago when I thought I might move back. A quick check on Corcoran today shows they in fact, still do exist. You get about. 300 sf for $300k.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by globe9 View Post
These young buyers need to move into less desirable areas of the metroplex. I'm sure sfr's can be found in south garland right now. The neighborhoods and schools suck but eventually with more young families moving in, the area will get better. Just have to be patient. I guess that's the answer. Plus the commute to downtown is pretty good.

I'm just glad I got into Richardson before the boom.
You have the right thoughts! Housing prices in Lakewood are through the roof right now - like 2-3X what they were selling for 5-6 years ago and all of that is being driven by the desire to live in-town, have great neighborhood schools, and the fact that they're priced out of the Park Cities. My friend bought a house zoned for Stonewall 2 years ago in the $300k range and someone just offered her $550k!! It's not even on the market.

So many DISD elementary schools have turned around because of parental involvement. Change the demographics of the neighborhood to a more affluent & educated on and the schools will follow. Not immediately, but within 5-10 years. It's happening now at Lee, Rogers, and other areas that are in the adjacent neighborhoods to Lakewood & Stonewall and it will continue to expand outward in the coming decades.

Same scenario can play out in burbs all over the metroplex, too, if a big enough contingent of younger affluent & educated people move in. Block by block, school by school.

Old 07-18-2014, 01:14 PM

3,851 posts, read 4,454,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
You have the right thoughts! Housing prices in Lakewood are through the roof right now - like 2-3X what they were selling for 5-6 years ago and all of that is being driven by the desire to live in-town, have great neighborhood schools, and the fact that they're priced out of the Park Cities. My friend bought a house zoned for Stonewall 2 years ago in the $300k range and someone just offered her $550k!! It's not even on the market.

So many DISD elementary schools have turned around because of parental involvement. Change the demographics of the neighborhood to a more affluent & educated on and the schools will follow. Not immediately, but within 5-10 years. It's happening now at Lee, Rogers, and other areas that are in the adjacent neighborhoods to Lakewood & Stonewall and it will continue to expand outward in the coming decades.

Same scenario can play out in burbs all over the metroplex, too, if a big enough contingent of younger affluent & educated people move in. Block by block, school by school.

Wow!!! Such positive uplifting optimism!! I'm selling my house and moving to DISD right now...oh wait...aren't you the same person who lives in DISD but declared that your future kids will be going to private schools??? Funny how you can suggest something that stupid for others (DISD for the kids??? really???) but not practice it yourself.

Old 07-18-2014, 01:25 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,709,148 times
Examples under $150K in good schools all over this search took just 5 min:

In Martin HS zone- SW Arl
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...50-51894?row=1

In Coppell Schools
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...56-25181?row=8

In Grapevine-Colleyville Schools

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...72-22931?row=7

Old 07-18-2014, 01:27 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,469,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Wow!!! Such positive uplifting optimism!! I'm selling my house and moving to DISD right now...oh wait...aren't you the same person who lives in DISD but declared that your future kids will be going to private schools??? Funny how you can suggest something that stupid for others (DISD for the kids??? really???) but not practice it yourself.
I believe TC80 has been saying for awhile now that the commentaries around that area are good, but the HS has yet to prove itself. But EVEN on that case, if they choose to send their kids to private over a "good" public it's their decision anyway. St. Marks/Hockaday are going to beat out an local public school everyday academically whether it's DISD, PISD or HPISD.

I for instance don't even know what to do. Will we push for private, go to PISD, HPISD or "higher end" DISD school, something middle of the road or move cities entirely. It's a hard decision to make.

Old 07-18-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Examples under $150K in good schools all over this search took just 5 min:

In Martin HS zone- SW Arl
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...50-51894?row=1

In Coppell Schools
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...56-25181?row=8

In Grapevine-Colleyville Schools

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...72-22931?row=7
I'd be fine with two of those myself(not the condo). The problem you also have is the young Dallas mentality. I have run into numerous amounts of people in my age bracket(20-30) that are the 30/50K millionaires we're famous for. Leased German vehicles, "high end" apartments that they cram 3 roommates in to afford the rent, bottle service on pay day, etc. They don't really care WHAT the house is worth, they care what it looks like to their friends. They are just trying to impress people with, oh look at my new shinny nice big house. I even know an individual right now that has no kids, and isn't looking to ever have them, moving to Savannah on 380 because he can get a 3800sqft house with "nice features" for 200ish. It's because it's what he is used to living in, and if you want that size of a house with those features, you're either going to need deep pockets(which most 20 somethings don't have) or move FAR out. Trying to get that mentality into an older ranch house that has little to no updates from the 1970's is nearly impossible.

Old 07-18-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
They exist. There are plenty in Tudor City (Midtown East) as I looked a few years ago when I thought I might move back. A quick check on Corcoran today shows they in fact, still do exist. You get about. 300 sf for $300k.
For Sandy, might want to do your research before calling others out: http://www.realtor.com/realestateand....9855035/zl-14

Old 07-18-2014, 02:01 PM

986 posts, read 1,668,280 times
I also find it interesting when people come to this board looking for advice on where to live. The same areas are always thrown out - Plano, Coppell, Highland/University Park.

I don't think a lot of people on this board realize that everyone can't afford those areas. Especially if you're in your late 20's - early 30s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas