Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 02:03 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,315,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Wow!!! Such positive uplifting optimism!! I'm selling my house and moving to DISD right now...oh wait...aren't you the same person who lives in DISD but declared that your future kids will be going to private schools??? Funny how you can suggest something that stupid for others (DISD for the kids??? really???) but not practice it yourself.
I'm zoned for one of the worst elementaries in North Dallas and my neighbors can afford private school tuition so unfortunately, little incentive to improve the school. Most people living in the East Dallas neighborhoods can't afford private school tuition and thus they've banded together to improve their neighborhood schools. The same thing is happening just west of the Tollroad from where we live with Withers & DeGoyler. People in Sparkman Club Estates aren't pulling mid 6-figure incomes; the people living right behind St Mark's (not our hood, but for example) ARE. Big difference in the "incentive" to improve public schools, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 02:37 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,304,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grneyedmustang View Post
I also find it interesting when people come to this board looking for advice on where to live. The same areas are always thrown out - Plano, Coppell, Highland/University Park.

I don't think a lot of people on this board realize that everyone can't afford those areas. Especially if you're in your late 20's - early 30s.
Then you have people talking Richardson down, saying it's "ghetto"...then these young buyers see what they can afford here (a TRUE starter home) and there's not granite and stainless steel everywhere so they roll their eyes and make their way north to the exurbs where they can get that shiny new house they think they NEED.

My house would sell today for under $250k. Probably under $225k. But there's no granite or stainless steel or travertine here. No pool, no open floor plan, no updated master bathroom.

We don't all start life on third base. The sooner they realize that, the happier they'll be.

Old 07-18-2014, 02:54 PM

477 posts, read 1,052,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Then you have people talking Richardson down, saying it's "ghetto"...then these young buyers see what they can afford here (a TRUE starter home) and there's not granite and stainless steel everywhere so they roll their eyes and make their way north to the exurbs where they can get that shiny new house they think they NEED.

My house would sell today for under $250k. Probably under $225k. But there's no granite or stainless steel or travertine here. No pool, no open floor plan, no updated master bathroom.

We don't all start life on third base. The sooner they realize that, the happier they'll be.
My little ranch does have stainless, granite and travertine and was had for less than $200k but I'm East of 75...apparently I'm not on the good side of Richardson, which is West. I was told over and over again to not even look East of 75. I'm glad I didn't listen to that nonsense. I love my neighborhood, which is Highland Terrace. Some of these starter homebuyers need to stop listening to the type of people who think Richardson is ghetto. There are sfr 's here as well as in places lik Farmers Branch, Garland, East Plano etc. Once they realize this, the areas will become cool again and attract businesses that cater to the younger demographic.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by globe9 View Post
My little ranch does have stainless, granite and travertine and was had for less than $200k but I'm East of 75...apparently I'm not on the good side of Richardson, which is West. I was told over and over again to not even look East of 75. I'm glad I didn't listen to that nonsense. I love my neighborhood, which is Highland Terrace. Some of these starter homebuyers need to stop listening to the type of people who think Richardson is ghetto. There are sfr 's here as well as in places lik Farmers Branch, Garland, East Plano etc. Once they realize this, the areas will become cool again and attract businesses that cater to the younger demographic.
We're already cool here.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:14 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,447,228 times
Quote:

The problem is that even these areas, in Richardson, Garland, East Plano etc, areas that were once deemed "uncool" or even "ghetto" are now very hard to get into. My in-laws live in North Garland. Homes on their street were built in the 80s and cost less than $150K generally...well homes for sale are going quick there also. Point being that the new homebuyer in the sub $200K range is pretty much out of options almost all over Northern DFW.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:36 PM

But what about those charming neighborhoods in South Garland? When we were looking we loved the Eastern Hills neighborhood. It was hilly and had large lots. The ranches there were under $200k. Another neighborhood in S. Garland we liked was off of Glenbrook. Had creeks running through it with large lots and trees. A family friend lives in a 2000sf p&b ranch in N.Garland in the Buckingham subdiv. and he thinks he'd get about $150k if he decided to sell. I think the houses are there but they're turning up their noses at "undesirable" neighborhoods. Guess they better get used to their long commute from Anna.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
But what about those charming neighborhoods in South Garland? When we were looking we loved the Eastern Hills neighborhood. It was hilly and had large lots. The ranches there were under $200k. Another neighborhood in S. Garland we liked was off of Glenbrook. Had creeks running through it with large lots and trees. A family friend lives in a 2000sf p&b ranch in N.Garland in the Buckingham subdiv. and he thinks he'd get about $150k if he decided to sell. I think the houses are there but they're turning up their noses at "undesirable" neighborhoods. Guess they better get used to their long commute from Anna.
I know a couple about to sell a drop-dead gorgeous house in Garland. It's bigger and nicer than my house in Richardson, and the yard is aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaziiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing. They'll probably get less than $150k for it.

Problem is....location. The area of town it's in is...well...kinda crappy. I can see why people turn their noses up at a lot of areas in Garland. I wouldn't live there either. Nowhere to eat except fast food dumps, crappy chains and taquerias, and nowhere to shop except Wal Mart.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:36 PM

I ended up in Richardson b/c those beautiful neighborhoods in Garland are surrounded by crappiness, but that's what these young, new, home buyers can afford. If more and more move there, the neighborhood becomes better. Plus someone said that even in Garland the home prices are unaffordable for new homebuyers. I disagree. Maybe S. Garland will gentrify one day. There are a lot of cool neighborhoods down there with Eastern Hills and Orchard Hills or whatever it's called off Glenbrook being my favorite.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
I ended up in Richardson b/c those beautiful neighborhoods in Garland are surrounded by crappiness, but that's what these young, new, home buyers can afford. If more and more move there, the neighborhood becomes better. Plus someone said that even in Garland the home prices are unaffordable for new homebuyers. I disagree. Maybe S. Garland will gentrify one day. There are a lot of cool neighborhoods down there with Eastern Hills and Orchard Hills or whatever it's called off Glenbrook being my favorite.
It may, it may not. I chose this part of Richardson for a lot of reasons: price, location, good schools (good for resale), the style and quality of the houses, and the fact that I could see a lot of people my own age and a little younger relocating to this part of town. Like me they're white collar professionals from diverse backgrounds, they get along well with people who aren't like them, and they're very civic-minded. All of that pointed to a good investment, a safe neighborhood, and a bright future for the area. A lot has improved here just in the time I've lived here, and most of that was during the worst recession that most of us will see in our lifetimes. I don't have the same level of optimism for Garland, but I'm no expert either. I'd be quite happy to be proven wrong on that.

Garland is not a terrible place to live. It's lower-income and blue collar for sure, and there are some parts of town that can be sketchy after dark (same as anywhere else). Some people look at it and see a craphole. I don't think it's a craphole. I wouldn't want to live there, but that doesn't mean I think it's unsafe or that the schools are a complete disaster, because they're not. I've known many people who went to Garland schools and they turned out just fine!

I'm also excited to see what the future holds for my part of town. Good things are happening.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:45 AM

11,859 posts, read 26,899,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

I live in a under $200k house in Grapevine. Yes, they DO exist! We have granite in the kitchen, too. Homes like this are out there, even in the fancier areas. You just have to look for them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas