Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 04:05 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times

Advertisements

Sometimes you can shave off a few minutes by cutting through the Village Apartments on Southwestern/Caruth Haven and going up Boedeker to Park Lane or Walnut Hill to Hillcrest then go north and turn left on Royal (or Walnut Hill).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 05:59 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
Generally agree with TC, but during the summer (before school zones kick in), we also use Walnut Hill. That is sometimes less congested than Royal.
Good call! I was always needing Tollroad access but since OP doesn't, Walnut Hill would make a good alt route when school's not in session.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Sometimes you can shave off a few minutes by cutting through the Village Apartments on Southwestern/Caruth Haven and going up Boedeker to Park Lane or Walnut Hill to Hillcrest then go north and turn left on Royal (or Walnut Hill).
The Village Apartments to Shadybrook (stoplight by Starbucks & Half Price Books) is a great tip, especially if OP is leaving his house after 7:30am when Northwest Hwy starts to backup east of 75.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:49 AM

8,147 posts, read 8,348,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
Generally agree with TC, but during the summer (before school zones kick in), we also use Walnut Hill. That is sometimes less congested than Royal.
Walnut Hill dies at 35N/Stemmons; it doesn't go straight thru to Irving if traveling west gotta head south on 114 and catch NW Hwy towards DFW airport.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:11 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
I was on Royal this morning and it was kinda backed up going west across Hillcrest. I know it also backs up at Central with the LHers going to work. Hillcrest is usually a good shortcut if you can get through the left turn light at Royal, which can be a pain. Yep there are school zones too...but I don't usually run into buses (which can really throw a wrench into things) going that route..

I've also been known to cut through the cemetery (Hillcrest) but I do visit my father on the way through!

Old 08-13-2014, 11:16 AM

267 posts, read 618,711 times
I've encountered dilemmas like the OP as well. NW Highway is of course a mess, and I myself have been stuck for 5-7 cycles on NW Highway at the Tollway. It as well as Royal are the only roads that have entrances/exits in both directions of the Tollway between 635 and probably the southern end, so naturally they will back up more. Does anyone know the history of why Walnut Hill only has southern access (i.e. NIMBYs?)?

I myself live in Las Colinas, and Royal is literally the only good way to get across 35E. Walnut Hill pretty much runs into a ditch as you go west from 35E. Why does a perfectly flat city have so many chokepoints like that? (Same thing in The Colony where the four lane FM423 is the only way to get in/out of there, or how 35E and 2499 are the only ways to get across the lake to Denton. Or MacArthur as the only way to get to Coppell from Irving in that area.)

Old 08-13-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason87x View Post
Does anyone know the history of why Walnut Hill only has southern access (i.e. NIMBYs?)?
Back when the Tollroad south of 635 was built, it's chief purpose was to move people downtown in the AM and back out to 635 in the PM. Reverse commutes were more rare as there weren't business centers all over the metroplex back then. Thus, quite a few cross streets that would have both north- and -southbound entries if they were built today only have southbound entry. Lemmon, Lovers Lane, Walnut Hill, and Forest all are in need of reverse entries, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas