Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 11:41 AM

7 posts, read 7,851 times

Advertisements

Wow, thank you for these quick responses.

JTCMom: my previous job allowed me to work from home, my new role in TX - not so much. I can imagine a challenge to create a new social circle when I'm not around during the day.

TurtleCreek80: yes, we looked at 3 privates and McCullough intermediate in HP. All visits were arranged by a private school counselor ( courtesy of my new employer). I understand about not pinning our plans and hopes on one school; the counselor said the very same thing. But my son's reaction to this particular school was so overwhelmingly enthusiastic; he's usually gives me an "it's okay" sort of response. I asked the counselor about families living in suburbs and carpools...i was told I'd probably be on my own with the transportation. But I find it hard to believe there are zero families in the Southlake area sending kids to privates in north Dallas. Could that be the case?

Last edited by Lawgirl99; 11-28-2014 at 11:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2014, 11:50 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
My neighbors' kids attend Covenant Christian in Colleyville. There's also Faith Christian in Grapevine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
FYI OP, if you are coming from an elite college prep private school (akin to Greenhill, St Mark's, ESD, etc in Dallas), you will not want to consider any private school in the mid-cities as they just aren't academically strong. You either look in Dallas or in Fort Worth (Country Day, All Saint's).

Liberty Christian
SAT- 620 M + 620 V = 1240 average
NMSF- 0 in class of 120 (0%)
15 AP classes offered. German, Spanish, and Mandarin offered.

Grapevine Faith Christian
SAT - not listed on school profile. Listed ACT @ 26 (on 36 point scale...)
NMSF- 2 in class of 75 (2.6%)
12 AP classes offered. Spanish is only foreign language.

Covenant, Colleyville
SAT- middle 50% range 1000-1140 M+V
2015 NMSF- 1 in class of 55. (1.8%)
11 AP classes offered. Spanish, French, & German.

St Mark's School of Texas
SAT- 730 M + 720 V = 1450
2015 NMSF - 29 in class of approx 100 (29%)
AP classes offered. Chinese, Japanese, Spanish & Latin.

Greenhill
SAT- middle 50% range 1220-1480 M+V
2015 NMSF- 15 in class of 108 (14%)
18 AP classes offered. Spanish, French, Latin, & Chinese.

Episcopal School of Dallas
SAT- middle 50% 1200-1400 M+V
2015 NMSF- 6 in a class of approx 100 (6%)
26 AP classes offered. Chinese, French, Latin, & Spanish.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:52 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawgirl99 View Post
But I find it hard to believe there are zero families in the Southlake area sending kids to privates in north Dallas. Could that be the case?
I doubt there are ZERO, but there probably aren't many. Southlake schools are excellent and most people in the outer suburbs who send kids to private schools do so for religious reasons, not academic ones. Southlake families have money and tend to work in Dallas or Fort Worth vs Southlake area itself, so I image those who really want elite privates move into Dallas or FW.

Old 11-28-2014, 03:58 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,268,809 times
Quote:
TurtleCreek80: yes, we looked at 3 privates and McCullough intermediate in HP. All visits were arranged by a private school counselor ( courtesy of my new employer). I understand about not pinning our plans and hopes on one school; the counselor said the very same thing. But my son's reaction to this particular school was so overwhelmingly enthusiastic; he's usually gives me an "it's okay" sort of response. I asked the counselor about families living in suburbs and carpools...i was told I'd probably be on my own with the transportation. But I find it hard to believe there are zero families in the Southlake area sending kids to privates in north Dallas. Could that be the case?
We can relate a little. Our son also attended a small private school back home before entering the HPISD system. The plan was to attend 4th grade there and work on getting him into a private school the following year. It was a huge change for sure but he had no problems jumping in and making friends. We never saw such a positive response from him concerning school. So we decided to stayed with HP. This is his 2nd year at MIS and he loves it. Finding a school your child absolutely loves is priceless in my opinion! If you child loves the other school and you can swing it, I say go for it

Old 11-29-2014, 09:05 AM
Mvc

175 posts, read 183,652 times
Would add Cistercian to that list, there are some people from Southlake who send their kids there--

Cistercian Abbey and Preparatory School

Last edited by Mvc; 11-29-2014 at 09:16 AM..

Old 12-10-2014, 08:43 PM

7 posts, read 7,851 times
We received amazing news. My son was accepted to his first choice school! I'm now in a huge hurry to find a rental home near the school (just north / NW of the park cities), where I can commute to Southlake somewhat easily. I will be in Dallas next week and I'll need to start looking immediately!
I'm searching the zip codes TurtleCreek80 listed above, as well as general searches on the main realtors sites-- two properties have come up that look good, but they're in Irving. I'm not familiar with this area, is it a good fit for a single mom and kid?

Old 12-10-2014, 09:33 PM

48 posts, read 61,335 times
Quote:
We received amazing news. My son was accepted to his first choice school! I'm now in a huge hurry to find a rental home near the school (just north / NW of the park cities), where I can commute to Southlake somewhat easily. I will be in Dallas next week and I'll need to start looking immediately!
I'm searching the zip codes TurtleCreek80 listed above, as well as general searches on the main realtors sites-- two properties have come up that look good, but they're in Irving. I'm not familiar with this area, is it a good fit for a single mom and kid?
If you are taking your son to school in the Park Cities area going from Irving to Park Cities back to Southlake would be a little zig zaggy of a route. At least to me it would be. I have lived in Irving before and the two neighborhoods I liked were 75063 and 75039, Valley Ranch and Las Colinas. Have you searched 75225? Can you indicate a budget or zip code to start out from and work your way out?

Old 12-11-2014, 04:07 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,354,049 times
Irving would be fine if your son doesn't need you to take/pick up from school. Its probably a good mid-point to your son's school location and Southlake (actually a very easy commute to Southlake). Zip 75062 in Universty Hills is gorgeous. zip 75038 has the beautiful gated communities of Cottonwood Valley (gorgeous), Fox Glen, Windsor & Enclave. Many kids living in those gated communities attend privates such as St. Marks, Cistertian, ESD, etc.

Also in 75039 are the new communities such as La Villita -- houses are new and communities are planned. And then in 75063 is gated Hackberry Creek and Valley Ranch (very, very high Desi/Indian population)

Old 12-11-2014, 10:15 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,299,163 times
I would live close to where you son is going to school. That is where his classmates are going to live (for the most part). You will have a 45 minute commute most days, but your son will not have one at all.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:28 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,464,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
I would live close to where you son is going to school. That is where his classmates are going to live (for the most part). You will have a 45 minute commute most days, but your son will not have one at all.
This 100%. That is the main reason my parents moved me from privates to HPISD back in the day. My classmates lived all over Dallas and I had no friends I could just walk or ride my bike to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas