Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2014, 01:11 PM

15 posts, read 23,270 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I found a few posts on City-Data that discuss crime in Vickery Place/M Streets. Some people are claiming to be moving out of this area to the burbs secondary to the crime there. Can anyone speak to the crime rate in this area? I looked on DPD website, but it looks like petty crime (i.e. stealing $$ from unlocked cars). I've read about the two 20 year old girls who were robbed at knife point in Jan 2014, but it seems like that's an exception.

After visiting the area on multiple occasions, we've seen women jogging at night. Families our walking their dogs, it doesn't appear all that dangerous. We did see a sign that someone posted on a tree in their front yard stating, "Dear Robber….you can keep the 3rd rows seats you stole from our car, but please return the baseball equipment".

We enjoy the proximity that Vickery Place/M Streets have to offer. But, we don't want to sacrifice our safety. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 01:19 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
There is a good bit of property crime (crimes of opportunity mainly due to unlocked car doors and open garages) in that area. The random assaults / robberies that *can* happen occur mostly along Greenville Ave late at night on the weekend. We've been going to Lower Greenville for 20+ years and never ever had one problem or felt unsafe but it can happen.

If you're used to city neighborhoods, that's what the area is. I wouldn't hesitate to live there if it worked for my commute; we're close to the Tollroad. I have many single female friends as well as couple friends who own houses there and can't remember ever hearing them have crime issues.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:01 PM

Greatly appreciate your feedback, TurtleCreek. You confirmed what we were thinking.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:11 PM

59 posts, read 71,918 times
I completely agree with TurtleCreek80's comments.

I've lived in Vickery Place for 7 years and the only crime I have experienced is having my (unsecured) porch furniture stolen. Other crime that I have heard about in the neighborhood is all property crime - something taken from an open garage, or similar.

Personal crimes do sometimes occur near the commercial areas on Greenville Ave and Henderson Ave, but most of these are late at night (after midnight). Moreover, the crime statistics for Lower Greenville have dramatically improved with the revitalization of that area in the last couple years. There was an article in a recent issue of the Lakewood Advocate that includes the numbers that support this statement.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:30 PM

Thanks for the input, inthemstreets

Old 10-23-2014, 03:31 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Some of the crimes around that area are attributed to vistors going to restaurants and bars along Henderson and Greenville. I lived in Cochran Heights on the other side of Henderson from Vickery Place back before all the new houses and gentrification and never had a problem - except one break in by the kid next door, who is probably a grandfather by now...

Old 10-23-2014, 04:24 PM

Thanks, Lakewooder! Your input in appreciated.
P.S. I can't believe your posts have been read over 25 million times!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: