Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2014, 11:12 PM

42 posts, read 66,180 times

Advertisements

I prefer to run outdoors. Is Dallas a place where one can run all 4 seasons? I am assuming one can run in the early morning in the summer, but is this realistic considering air quality? Also, since it gets chilly in winter, with the right clothes, is it realistic to expect to be able to run outside most winter days?

Another thing I consider is the beauty of the trail/path. I prefer to run in a natural environment, usually paved and flat or with very shallow hills. Trees and water features also give a trail better air to breathe. Any thoughts on areas where there are nice trails? How about safety? My cousin lives in Tulsa and a friend's daughter was mugged and raped while running in broad daylight at a park there.

Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 11:20 PM

19,777 posts, read 18,069,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingBard View Post
I prefer to run outdoors. Is Dallas a place where one can run all 4 seasons? I am assuming one can run in the early morning in the summer, but is this realistic considering air quality? Also, since it gets chilly in winter, with the right clothes, is it realistic to expect to be able to run outside most winter days?

Another thing I consider is the beauty of the trail/path. I prefer to run in a natural environment, usually paved and flat or with very shallow hills. Trees and water features also give a trail better air to breathe. Any thoughts on areas where there are nice trails? How about safety? My cousin lives in Tulsa and a friend's daughter was mugged and raped while running in broad daylight at a park there.

Thanks for the help.
My brother is an avid marathon runner. He trains outside almost everyday. Run with a firearm for safety - more for crazed dogs than people though.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:16 AM

247 posts, read 379,546 times
honestly it just depends, there are trails in all areas. i know people that run everyday regardless of season. in summer the only practical time to run outside imo is from 6-11am.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:21 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,402,042 times
You can run around White Rock Lake all 4 seasons, on the Katy Trail, Richardson has trails that criss-cross creeks, as does Frisco, Allen, and Plano. The biting cold or rain in winter may slow you a few days, but if you are hearty, you'll survive. The heat sucks, but I sweat when I run no matter the temperature, so it's no big deal to me.

You'll really need to be more specific about job, house location, and other hobbies because jogging tracks are being improved all over DFW.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:29 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,407,747 times
I run all 4 seasons in Dallas. White Rock lake fits your criteria perfectly and has a decent loop. Katy Trail is a paved urban trail where there was once a railway. It's closer to downtown but not very long and can get crowded with bikers and walkers if the weather is perfect but it's practically deserted if the weather is cold or wet.
As far as safety, I seem to recall Katy trail had a series of robberies and assault a while back but they have stepped up police bike patrols and added some lighting which has seemed to help. White Rock is a larger area and has had a few problems but I have never personally felt unsafe. Just be aware of your surroundings, run with a friend if you can and exercise good judgment.
During summer, I run from 5:30-7:30am. Once the sun comes up, it's time to go home.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:29 AM

42 posts, read 66,180 times
Many thanks. I'm moving from St Louis and run on Grant's Trail, which passes through neighborhoods yet wooded. Very safe, composting toilet in the center, decent air quality, has it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas