Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 03:44 AM

4 posts, read 8,621 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know why they are so low? We are currently in Frisco ISD and looking to move. We like Allen but the high school is rated 5 out of 10. Seemed odd to me so I checked Plano West which I always thought was a good school, and it's even lower at a 4. Meanwhile, McKinney high schools are 7 and 8's, and all the Frisco high schools seem to be 9's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 05:55 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,571,734 times
I'm now convinced Frisco ISD is the most overrated ISD in the metroplex.

Old 01-14-2015, 05:55 AM

19,779 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefrina View Post
Does anyone know why they are so low? We are currently in Frisco ISD and looking to move. We like Allen but the high school is rated 5 out of 10. Seemed odd to me so I checked Plano West which I always thought was a good school, and it's even lower at a 4. Meanwhile, McKinney high schools are 7 and 8's, and all the Frisco high schools seem to be 9's.
Whatever is going on with the Greatschools rankings system I can't pretend to explain. However, something really is way wrong if the Frisco and McKinney schools are ranked higher than PW. That just does not make any sense to me.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:08 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Another example of why I don't believe/trust Great Schools. Look, the top indicators of college preparedness are SAT scores and performance on college-level work (AP, IB results). Start there and it will lead you to the strongest schools academically. If you put a "short list" of high schools together, I'm sure the administration would allow a prospective student /parent visit to see which one feels like a better fit. PTA's or TAG parent groups are also good starting spot for real-time feedback on what families think of the teachers, administration, etc.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:26 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,462,015 times
Go here and scroll down. The STARR tests were not reported correctly. Looks at the TAKS scores.

Plano West Senior High School - Plano, Texas - TX - School quality

Old 01-14-2015, 07:31 AM

786 posts, read 1,222,954 times
Quote:
Using G-S for a school rating is like using Zillow for a home value - sometimes it's accurate & sometimes it's not. As others have mentioned, I would inquire about college matriculations, National Merit #s, AP/IB course offerings, SAT/ACT scores & percent of students taking those tests, college acceptance rates, etc

Allen does offer the full IB diploma and has for quite a while. Plano West does not, but they have a host of AP courses to choose from, pretty much take your pick.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:53 AM

4 posts, read 8,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
Go here and scroll down. The STARR tests were not reported correctly. Looks at the TAKS scores.

[url=http://www.greatschools.org/texas/plano/8760-Plano-West-Senior-High-School/quality/#Test_scores]Plano West Senior High School - Plano, Texas - TX - School quality[/url]
How do you know they were reported wrong?

Old 01-14-2015, 07:56 AM

Quote:
How do you know they were reported wrong?
There was a thread on it awhile back. It was also the reason they were not rated as high as they have been in that past on one of the nation publications that ranks schools. Maybe US News, or one of the others.

On top of that, it's basic assessment. A school is not going to average 50% or lower on one state assessment, then go 97-98% on another.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:19 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,906,871 times
Heard nothing but great things about both. Don't really buy into the whole GS thing. Only real difference is that I have heard allen has a def athletic factor in the high school while PISD has more of a academic. But honestly, I know parents who have sent their kids to both and love it.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
Heard nothing but great things about both. Don't really buy into the whole GS thing. Only real difference is that I have heard allen has a def athletic factor in the high school while PISD has more of a academic. But honestly, I know parents who have sent their kids to both and love it.
Agreed. I wouldn't have an issue with my kids attending any of the above listed school districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas