Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 11:23 PM

24 posts, read 31,946 times

Advertisements

I currently live in South Louisiana which has amazingly good water from aquifers, but lots of roaches, spiders, snakes, and mosquitos. Mostly, I think that is due to the humidity and wetlands.

Please state where you came from when answering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 12:15 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,894,836 times
Don't know what the water tastes like in Southern Louisiana, but for a fair part of the year the water in DFW (which comes from surface reservoirs) tastes like algae and mud. Brita pitchers eliminate most, but not all of the pond scum taste. The taste is worse during drought years when low reservoir levels allow for larger algae blooms.

Bugs are only gonna be slightly better. Quarterly pest control is a necessity, not an option. Roaches, spiders, mosquitoes, and snakes are still very prevalent.

Lived in Dallas for almost 13 years. Live in Colorado now. Water flavor is exponentially better here, but the water is extremely hard. Pests are also not nearly as much of an issue.

Old 12-28-2014, 03:34 AM

9 posts, read 8,983 times
I spent about 30 years in northern New Mexico before coming to the DFW area of Texas. The water there was pretty good in taste , although hard. Here , the water tastes terrible. I use a Brita water pitcher or drink bottled. I took it for granted having decent drinking water in N N.M.

Pests weren't such a big deal in NM either. Never saw a roach in all the years I was there. I've had to get used to all the " creepy crawlies " here.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:26 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Lived most of my life in Alexandria and Metairie. Now in Little Elm. Water tastes fine to me. Been here 2+yrs and sprayed once when I saw a spider inside. Mosquitoes are no worse.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-29-2014 at 03:30 PM..

Old 12-28-2014, 10:42 PM

817 posts, read 922,764 times
Frisco since August. Have not been bitten by a mosquito yet.

Water tastes fine in Frisco, and in Plano where I work. Occasionally in California we had the earthy taste in the water and used the refrigerator's filtered water for our iced tea water. The water district there told us that keeping it overnight in a pitcher in the refrigerator helps.

Last edited by Beardown91737; 12-28-2014 at 10:43 PM.. Reason: inadvertantly linked my own post

Old 12-29-2014, 12:30 AM

179 posts, read 284,944 times
Coming from San Francisco, the water in Dallas is pretty awful. I've been here 4 years now and only drink it if I run out of bottled water. I haven't tried a Brita yet. Never had any insect issues living in SF (too cold probably).

Old 12-29-2014, 05:22 AM

3,072 posts, read 8,417,498 times
"How is the water and how do the pests compare to where you came from?"

Water is fine even out here in the country.

As for pests politicians are the same no matter what State your in!

Old 12-29-2014, 09:41 AM

419 posts, read 553,550 times
I have lived on both coasts. Had city water and well water. I notice the algae taste here only in the summer and really, it wasn't bad this past summer. I barely noticed it. I usually have to switch to bottled in summer months, even with a filter. They filtered water from my refrigerator has been fine otherwise. I also don't notice as much of a residue/scaling on my showers and sinks. I think this is hardness?

As for pests, not as many mosquitoes as the northeast, for sure, but the ants, and especially fire ants, were something new and terrifying. Chiggers also got one of my kids this year for the first time pretty bad. He was allergic, got infected and it turned staph. Another classmate had the same thing happen.

Rabbits everywhere that make my yard a mess. Less spiders than other places but the ones I do find are HUGE. Really, the stuff of nightmares. Neighbors have warned of checking swing sets for black widows but I haven't seen any in 3 years. Haven't seen any roaches. A few snakes when out jogging the trails. The ants are the worst IMHO.

I have to say, most of the pests I probably wouldn't notice as much, if at all, if I didn't have young kids playing in the yard and in parks.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:48 AM

213 posts, read 698,202 times
Coming from multiple metros in the country (Raleigh, Columbus, Cleveland, San Diego), the Dallas area- most specifically where I lived in Richardson, had by far the worst taste in drinking water I have ever experienced. It was so bad it even ruined all fountain or restaurant sodas and drinks.

One poster already nailed the taste- earthy. Bleh!

Old 12-29-2014, 03:05 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
I've lived in Colorado, Arizona and New Jersey. The pests here aren't bad. The water is funky depending where you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas