Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 07:30 AM

21 posts, read 19,537 times

Advertisements

Need views and help from forum members.

Family of 3 (my wife, daughter and I), moving from NJ to Plano, TX.

1. Move timeline - July/Aug 2016
2. Moving to - Plano or nearby areas
3. Must haves - 9/10 or 10/10 High School (daughter will be a Sophomore next year). She's got the best of school in NJ so, this is one of the key requirements.
4. Must haves contd - Indian Asian community, near shopping malls/grocery/supermarkets preferred (wife can't drive due to phobia)
5. Housing - 3 bed house/apt but must be big enough. We're currently staying in a townhouse. Rent affordability - 1750 to 2000. Community - Safety first.
6. Income and office - No need to commute office to Dallas office. Have flexibility to work from home. Above 5K pay monthly

Will provide any other info required. Looking for suggestions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 07:51 AM

1,429 posts, read 1,778,963 times
Can you clarify whether you literally need to be within walking distance of stores because your wife can't/won't drive? Or is it enough to be close so that you can drive her and you simply don't want to have to be driving all over the metroplex? Reconciling the not wanting to drive with the location and budget you have seems difficult. I thought that the Indian community was more centered in Irving and Richardson but will let others comment on that.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:59 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
Can you clarify whether you literally need to be within walking distance of stores because your wife can't/won't drive? Or is it enough to be close so that you can drive her and you simply don't want to have to be driving all over the metroplex? Reconciling the not wanting to drive with the location and budget you have seems difficult. I thought that the Indian community was more centered in Irving and Richardson but will let others comment on that.
Richardson's Indian community (smaller than west Plano and Irving) seems centered in northeast Richardson which isn't very walkable.

I'd recommend the OP focus on west Plano and Irving. And seek a good therapist for his wife to overcome her phobia of driving. It's challenging to live here without being able to drive.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:06 AM

@Numbersguy100 and @BigDGeek - thanks for your response.

Honestly, I'd prefer to drive my family for shopping than get rid of phobia. Have tried a lot and it just wouldn't go. She tried learning 6 times and even got Learner Permit but that's it..

I'm open to Plano and other districts but school is first preference, even at the cost of Indian community. We've lived in Austin in 2007-8 with no Indian neighbors in a 5 mile radius.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:07 AM

11,856 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Agree 100% that your wife is going to have to get over the phobia of driving. You just can't live in the suburbs here and refuse to drive. The alternative is spending a fortune on cabs/Uber, or wasting a lot of time riding the bus.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon3 View Post

Honestly, I'd prefer to drive my family for shopping than get rid of phobia. Have tried a lot and it just wouldn't go. She tried learning 6 times and even got Learner Permit but that's it..

I'm open to Plano and other districts but school is first preference, even at the cost of Indian community. We've lived in Austin in 2007-8 with no Indian neighbors in a 5 mile radius.
West Plano is going to be your best bet if you want excellent public schools and a large Indian community. You could also look at Frisco; most of my Indian coworkers live there.

(I don't think you'd have a problem finding Indian neighbors in the Austin area nowadays.)

Old 02-25-2016, 08:21 AM

371 posts, read 553,998 times
For the top high school in Plano, you probably want to look at the Jasper --> Plano West zone (given your other requirements of Indian community). You can look in the Russell Creek Area (lots of Indians) and should be able to find homes in your rental price range. Look in the rectangular area (in a map) between Coit and Custer and McDermott & Hedgecoxe.

Quote:

Old 02-25-2016, 08:28 AM

@BigDGeek and @BayTexan - thank you for the suggestion. Will look into the areas you mentioned and will dig into the schools.

@ChristieP - trust me, if I could do it, would have done a long time ago....she just wouldn't let the fear go when she's behind the wheels. Sitting next to me is fine with her but not in the driver's seat....one advantage is that she doesn't tell me how to drive !! (use to poke at my driving a few years ago)....That said, have taken up the task one more time, because of winter not able to teach her (she's done with driving schools). Once the spring starts, will try for 7th time.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
@BigDGeek and @BayTexan - thank you for the suggestion. Will look into the areas you mentioned and will dig into the schools.

@ChristieP - trust me, if I could do it, would have done a long time ago....she just wouldn't let the fear go when she's behind the wheels. Sitting next to me is fine with her but not in the driver's seat....one advantage is that she doesn't tell me how to drive !! (use to poke at my driving a few years ago)....That said, have taken up the task one more time, because of winter not able to teach her (she's done with driving schools). Once the spring starts, will try for 7th time.
Teaching her how to drive isn't the problem; you have to address the underlying anxiety.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:36 AM

@BigDGeek - Trying the psychological angle as well. This time it's been OK and she's able to drive internal roads but goes awry when a vehicle comes in opposite direction. Working on it....hopefully some magic will happen in next 6 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: