Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 09:29 AM

6 posts, read 16,776 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating from Charlotte to the Dallas area in March for a new job. I'm 25, single, and won't know a sole other than a couple future older married coworkers that helped recruit me to come work for the company. My budget for renting is around 1300-1400..85k salary. I'm 90% sure I have decided on the Uptown area.

So here is my situation, I'm big on planning have spent a ton of hours reading the boards and other sites but I can't find true data about the "real" commute time from the Uptown area to Las Colinas area where the office is located.

Being new to the city I would like to live in Uptown with other young professionals as I think it will help me with not being bored and will give a great opportunity to meet people. Also, I like the urban life rather than suburban familyville. Although, if the commute is insane what is living in Las Colinas like for a 25 year old?

Any feedback and insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 09:36 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngpilot4ev View Post
I'm relocating from Charlotte to the Dallas area in March for a new job. I'm 25, single, and won't know a sole other than a couple future older married coworkers that helped recruit me to come work for the company. My budget for renting is around 1300-1400..85k salary. I'm 90% sure I have decided on the Uptown area.

So here is my situation, I'm big on planning have spent a ton of hours reading the boards and other sites but I can't find true data about the "real" commute time from the Uptown area to Las Colinas area where the office is located.

Being new to the city I would like to live in Uptown with other young professionals as I think it will help me with not being bored and will give a great opportunity to meet people. Also, I like the urban life rather than suburban familyville. Although, if the commute is insane what is living in Las Colinas like for a 25 year old?

I'm very averse to long commutes and I don't know how long it would take to get from Uptown to Las Colinas, but in your case I think it would be worth it to not have to live in Las Colinas. At your age and income level I think you'll enjoy Uptown a lot more. My $0.02.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:44 AM

That's what I'm thinking as well.

For others, Charlotte is a growing city and can be a nightmare to drive in. Currently I commute 30-45 min each way depending on traffic and construction.

Old 12-06-2014, 10:46 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,359,535 times
Expect to drive 30-40 minutes during rush hour from Uptown to LC. Traffic is pretty jammed in the morning heading west on 114.

Old 12-06-2014, 11:41 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,309,749 times
20 minutes in the AM, 30+ in the PM (if you're driving home between 5-6:30). Definitely live in Uptown though; it's worth the commute to live somewhere that's fun and not a bedroom community.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:50 PM

788 posts, read 1,224,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngpilot4ev View Post

Minimum 30 minutes. Again, MINIMUM. This is coming from co-workers who lived in Uptown and drove to our office back when I worked in LC.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:51 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,814,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
20 minutes in the AM, 30+ in the PM (if you're driving home between 5-6:30). Definitely live in Uptown though; it's worth the commute to live somewhere that's fun and not a bedroom community.
That's your best answer. From Uptown you'll cross Turtle Creek (it's really a creek, not the poster above) to Oak Lawn Ave and turn left. That'll take you to I-35 north bound.

There'll be a fork for 183/35, take 183.
Then there'll be a fork for 183/114, take 114.
Finish the beer quick, you'll soon be at work.

I made that drive for a number of years, hauling ass both ways, rarely a delay. ON return there may be an back up of traffic on I-35 for downtown which will delay your exit at Oak Lawn Ave. If you catch it in time you can take the Inwood or Wycliff exits. The Wycliff is a difficult negotiation but beats sitting in stalled traffic.

Also, heading to work. If the Interstate is backed up you can take Lemmon Ave up to Mockingbird Lane, or further north of Love Field to the Northwest Hwy and Spur 348. Both easy drives. If there's overnight ice then the bridge over the Trinity River may be iced over. If so, take the Regal Row exit and head north to I-35 to the NW Hwy.

And whatever the commute, considering what you're looking for you won't do better anywhere else in the DFW.

Good luck... ENJOY ! ! ! !

Last edited by metroxian; 12-06-2014 at 01:59 PM..

Old 12-06-2014, 05:43 PM

Thank you all! This is some great advice and feedback.

You all have pretty much helped me make my decision. Right now I'm looking at apartments in the West Village area of uptown as it appears to have the most "urban" look.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:24 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,463,858 times
Uptown.

Las Colinas is not singles oriented. For a typical single guy, you are not going to run into as many single women. If you didn't work in Las Colinas, you'd probably go there 1-2 times per year.

West Village is a decent Uptown-ish option, but if you want to be closer to the bars, you might want be a little further south in the Uptown area.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:33 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Lot of people here have not toured LC in the last few years. It's not uptown but getting there quickly.
The new Entertainment district and Concert arena should add a lot.

In a few years it will be giving uptown a run for it's money.
It will probably be more for the higher end empty nester or mid age professional who wants to live near work or the airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: