Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2008, 12:15 PM

2 posts, read 14,481 times

Advertisements

I need to find a good orthodontist in the dallas area. I live in las colinas. Adult ortho isn't covered on my dental plan so price is an issue. I don't need financing, but I'm trying to keep it as affordable as possible.

As I kid i never had the dental work I needed, and I am probably going to need braces, wisdom teeth pulled, and jaw surgery to correct my bite. I haven't been to the dentist in years, so I don't even know where to start.

I've thought about trying out the Texas A&M Health Science Center Baylor College of Dentistry. Has any one had any experience having dental work done here. I definatly would like to get some second opinions from private orthodontists so any referrals would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 12:25 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,478,415 times
I have some friends who do the Baylor program - they qualify as low income. You have to apply and get accepted into their program, so keep that in mind.

I saw two orthodontists to get estimates for my treatment. I'm 2 yrs into my treatment.
Dr Patricia Simon at Lakewood Orthodontics.
And Dr Terry Adams who has his office above Sevy's near Preston Center.

I chose Dr Simon because she was closer to my house and the parking situation was easier. She also excellent - it was recommended that I have jaw surgery again (had it at 15 yrs old) and I told her no way was I doing it again. So she is pushing it to the max with my treatment including removing a bottom front tooth to make space.

Both treatment plans were the same price basically...close 7k.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:29 PM

2 posts, read 14,481 times
Thank you, that was exactly what I was looking for. I am going to schedule an appointment with Patricia. I appreciated her website, and hor well she addressed the needs of adult patients. I also want to investigate t the Baylor program and had a few more questions to any one in the know...

Would you trust students to do this type of dental work?

Do you have to be "low income"?

Typically what is involved in getting "accepted"?

I've read the become a patient thing on their website and it says you can only call on wednessdays to schedule your 1 1/2 hour evaluation so I will probably do that this wednessday. I just wonder if its worth my time (will I really save thousands? Do most people get accepted?)

Does any one know where i can find more information?

Old 07-04-2008, 07:59 AM

I really don't know how much you will save, but I know it's all supervised by teaching doctors - so you'll probably be in good hands. But there may be a waiting list to get into the ortho part.

I recall one of my friends, who uses Baylor as her dental care, going to an orthodontist to get her daughter started in braces before she got too old and paid for a palatal seperator. For that reason, I think there's a wait.

I'm not sure what the income requirements are, I thought there were some - but I'm not comfortable asking my friends about this or what costs they pay.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:14 AM

251 posts, read 1,531,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGuy123 View Post
As I kid i never had the dental work I needed, and I am probably going to need braces, wisdom teeth pulled, and jaw surgery to correct my bite. I haven't been to the dentist in years, so I don't even know where to start.
I believe it could be too late for braces if your looking to push your teeth inward.I put my braces on at age 25 for about 2 years and didn't notice much improvement.But then again that was 7 years ago maybe they have better technology on this stuff today.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:35 AM

Just found out....Another friend of mine has an appt on Wed for an evaluation at Baylor. They have a very unusual circumstance that will be a great learning tool for their students - bone grafts and more for a 16 yr old plus ortho. Surgery alone would cost them 25k.

The mom said you can call only during 10-11:30 am on Wed. She kept getting a busy signal - and basically redialed for the hour and a half - 78 times before she reached someone!!!! So good luck!!!

Old 12-14-2014, 06:49 PM

2 posts, read 3,233 times
Default Braces in Dallas

With 3 kids that need braces, I cannot afford 7K. Fortunately, I have found an orthodontist in South Dallas who delivered braces for eldest kid for little over 4K with great results in less than 1 year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
I have some friends who do the Baylor program - they qualify as low income. You have to apply and get accepted into their program, so keep that in mind.

I saw two orthodontists to get estimates for my treatment. I'm 2 yrs into my treatment.
Dr Patricia Simon at Lakewood Orthodontics.
And Dr Terry Adams who has his office above Sevy's near Preston Center.

I chose Dr Simon because she was closer to my house and the parking situation was easier. She also excellent - it was recommended that I have jaw surgery again (had it at 15 yrs old) and I told her no way was I doing it again. So she is pushing it to the max with my treatment including removing a bottom front tooth to make space.

Both treatment plans were the same price basically...close 7k.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:36 AM

108 posts, read 146,538 times
Yeah!!! It's wise to choose the Affordable Dentistry and Orthodontics or any insurance plans(be aware of it's features properly), otherwise it will be a lot pain to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: