Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2015, 05:10 PM

154 posts, read 191,922 times

Advertisements

Our current house is the only one we've owned that has a dryer booster fan due to the length of the exhaust duct leading from the dryer to the outside. (In fact, I never knew they existed before living here.) The booster fan is in the garage ceiling. The fan has been making a loud noise when on for some time, but I ignored the issue when I couldn't find anyone to replace it. (I tried several plumbers as well as HVAC companies.)

I noticed today while running the dryer there is a steady stream of water dripping from the fan area in the garage ceiling. (The cover plate has been removed for some time after we looked at it due to the noise.) First, is the water likely due to condensation from the moisture in the duct combined from the increase humidity from the recent rain? Does that happen? The other possibility is it's from a roof leak from the recent rain. However, it appears to be coming right from the booster fan.

Either way, I need the fan replaced. If a plumber or HVAC company won't do it, which trade should I call?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 05:57 PM

19,784 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGentry View Post
Our current house is the only one we've owned that has a dryer booster fan due to the length of the exhaust duct leading from the dryer to the outside. (In fact, I never knew they existed before living here.) The booster fan is in the garage ceiling. The fan has been making a loud noise when on for some time, but I ignored the issue when I couldn't find anyone to replace it. (I tried several plumbers as well as HVAC companies.)

I noticed today while running the dryer there is a steady stream of water dripping from the fan area in the garage ceiling. (The cover plate has been removed for some time after we looked at it due to the noise.) First, is the water likely due to condensation from the moisture in the duct combined from the increase humidity from the recent rain? Does that happen? The other possibility is it's from a roof leak from the recent rain. However, it appears to be coming right from the booster fan.

Either way, I need the fan replaced. If a plumber or HVAC company won't do it, which trade should I call?
I'd call an electrician. I'll DM you a good one in a second.

Old 05-25-2015, 12:59 AM

3,069 posts, read 8,413,781 times
Quote:

Yes the moisture dripping can be condensation due to a blocked booster fan and/or duct. It is possible the noise you heard is the build-up of lint. You can call the various duct cleaning companies in the area that specialize in dryer ducts and ask if they can clean and evaluate the booster fan. You might get away with just a cleaning and from the sounds of it your dryer ductwork possibly needs a good cleaning as well. I doubt many electricians carry the basic tools to provide a full dryer duct cleaning for your situation. Also the dryer duct cleaners might have booster fans on hand in the event it is shot and needs replacing. It could save you another service call charge and wait for parts.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:33 AM

154 posts, read 191,922 times
Just wanted to follow-up and let y'all know how it turned out. We found a guy that specializes in cleaning dryer ducts, and he said he also did handy-man-type work. We ordered the part from Home Depot for $188, and the man came and installed it as planned. He also cleaned the ducts, which were jam-packed with lint and water from the burned-out previous fan not working. Works great!

Old 06-10-2015, 05:27 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
Just wanted to follow-up and let y'all know how it turned out. We found a guy that specializes in cleaning dryer ducts, and he said he also did handy-man-type work. We ordered the part from Home Depot for $188, and the man came and installed it as planned. He also cleaned the ducts, which were jam-packed with lint and water from the burned-out previous fan not working. Works great!
I wrote this just before realizing that the last post above was an update from the OP. You pretty much confirmed what I wrote below:

It is highly likely that you have lint built up in the ducts and fan housing, which can also get saturated by moisture. My drier has a long Vertical run to exit the roof. I hired a chimney sweep to clean it out, he did a great job. Once the duct is clean you can verify if the fan needs to be replaced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas