Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 11:42 AM

28,663 posts, read 18,768,884 times

Advertisements

Not shoveling snow and cars don't rust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 07:52 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,541,304 times
East Dallas Rocks! Love the laid-back vibe, variety of food & beverage and some unique shopping as well. Neighborhoods are established with huge mature trees & landscaping, and then there's White Rock Lake. It's also a bit hilly, which breaks up the flat-land monotony a bit.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:16 PM

74 posts, read 86,537 times
East Dallas has a sense of fun and is free from the conventions and conformities of many areas in and near Dallas.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:11 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,403,116 times
Convention and conformity is in your mind. I do my thing where ever I chose to live. I chose Plano and it's right for my needs.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:36 PM

200 posts, read 618,944 times
Feeling "safe"
Friendly people
Something new to do everyday
Aesthetics (mostly, everything appears clean and well kept)
Pride here...in being American, Texans, homeowners
Boosting economy
Melting pot

Old 06-21-2015, 09:01 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,576,434 times
1. Decent cost of living (but higher than the nat'l avg, as most large cities are)
2. Roads and highways were well planned for growth, so it's easy to get around. (but D is spread out, so you may have to travel quite a ways sometimes)
3. Clean
4. Usually snows in winter at least once most years
5. Has a change of seasons (unlike where I'm from), so there are fall colors
6. Pay is pretty good (Houston is better, but Dallas is close)
7. Great malls that are easy to get to
8. Two great airports that I actually can drive to and figure out how to park in
9. Decent public transportation (a large bus system, and a decent rail system, but it runs only certain places, so it'd be great if you could live near a hub)
10. Crime not bad for a big city, but pay attention to the stats for where you want to live
11. Are you a rightwing conservative? Plenty of those here. Are you a leftwing liberal? Plenty of those, too! (in city limits)
12. The Dallas Summer Musicals at Fair Park every summer. The rail system and bus system drops out front, or, it's easy to park there. Musical plays are put on every summer that are excellent.
13. The State Fair with Big Tex! In early fall. It's at Fair Park, where the Dallas Summer Musicals are.
14. There's good food in every big city. Dallas is no exception.
15. Lots of places to shop for the best prices: groceries, furniture, clothes, etc.
16. It's not toooooo big of a city.
17. Not many mosquitos (compared to where I'm from).

Old 06-23-2015, 08:22 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,442,866 times
Football. At every level. No place better.

Old 06-23-2015, 04:45 PM

296 posts, read 532,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time for Texas! View Post
Football. At every level. No place better.
You talking about soccer?

Old 06-23-2015, 06:58 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,442,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_greco View Post
You talking about soccer?
Yeah......no.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:29 PM

8,121 posts, read 3,666,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
1. The proximity of 2 major airports: I can get to virtually every major (and many minor) cities in the U.S. on a non-stop flight. Europe is either 1 stop (or nonstop if my company is paying).

2. Low crime, great police force, good libraries - Plano has the best services of any place I've lived.

3. Great schools!

4. Great shopping: I actually don't shop that much - - but I like having my pick of Whole Foods, Sprouts, Trader Joes and Central Market.

5. Great concerts/performances - When my favorite bands/performers are touring, DFW is almost always a guaranteed stop.

6. Economy is booming, jobs are plentiful.

7. I've been able to step out of my cultural comfort zone since moving here. The diversity has been an amazing and welcome surprise.

8. Always something to do (Dallas Observer is a wonderful resource for what's going on!)

9. Sports! I love watching the Mavs and Rangers, and the occasional Roughrider games are great fun too! (Cowboys = not so much! Some sports are better from the comfort of home or your favorite sports bar/pub. From which there are plenty to choose).

10. Great restaurants - I'm not a complete foodie, but there is always a new, fun place to try and a lot of great "special occasion" places.

I didn't mean to make this a "Top 10" list, but it was pretty effortless.

I like DFW airport, very efficient, great for in US. To Europe - not so much. Couple of direct flights to London, one to Paris, maybe one to Madrid, one to FRA. Absolutely nothing to write home about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas