Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 06:36 PM

2 posts, read 2,809 times

Advertisements

Hi there, so I have moved to Dallas,Tx with an uncle about a month ago, I am 24 and poised to move out with a friend within the next 2 or 3 weeks, but before i make the commitment, i am seriously considering moving back to my home of Albuquerque,Nm. I came out here for a better opportunity and initially because of a extremely high paying job that was nearly promised to me. Turns out the job might not happen for 3-4 more months if at all. I know i am feeling homesick and i can get over that, but things are not coming together like originally planned and i really do enjoy my life back home with so many friends and family. I see great potential for good opportunities here, but I am lonely here. I am very set on moving back, but I'm so unsure because i know i will move away from my hometown eventually, but i would like to be more independent and established.The dilemma, I'm already here with this opportunity to be moved out,at a young age and great potential to start a whole new life, but I'm not ready to leave my old life behind yet, knowing I'm in the situation i wanna eventually be in(minus a significant other and financial security) am i dumb to waste this opportunity after only giving it 1 month or am i right in wanting to tie loose ends and be back home for another year or so only to move away again with a more established career??

Last edited by arkane1990; 07-21-2015 at 07:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 06:50 PM

379 posts, read 366,515 times
Sounds like you'll have zero serious career prospects no matter where you go.

Learn a trade. Go to school. Learn how to express yourself more eloquently. The labor market is great right now, but your "music career" is a pipe dream. The city is irrelevant. You're 24 years old. Time to grow up.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:26 PM

2 posts, read 2,809 times
I do posses a BA in public speaking and a minor in psychology, with a certification in audio engineering for musical production, I've put in much work in past 7 years out of high school so i am "grown up", just no idea where my true calling is, so as negative as the response, thank you very much for your input, it is greatly apreciated and helpful!

Old 07-22-2015, 02:36 PM

216 posts, read 344,104 times
I think your heart is still 'at home'. There is no shame in deciding that you don't quite know what you want to do yet. I say find work, build up some funds (if that is living at home - that is ok) and then go from there. I would say to reach out to the company that offered you the strong prospect and let them know you are considering leaving the area soon. This may nudge them to make a decision either way. Best of luck.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:36 PM

311 posts, read 450,949 times
I would suggest to go where the jobs are. But if you are unemployed, best to live rent free somewhere, even if it means moving back home. A lot of young adults are doing this (smartly) to save up for rising home prices and to pay down student loans. Really isn't any different from many other parts of the world (Latam, Europe, Asia). Good luck to you.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:41 PM

450 posts, read 555,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkane1990 View Post
Hi there, so I have moved to Dallas,Tx with an uncle about a month ago, I am 24 and poised to move out with a friend within the next 2 or 3 weeks, but before i make the commitment, i am seriously considering moving back to my home of Albuquerque,Nm. I came out here for a better opportunity and initially because of a extremely high paying job that was nearly promised to me. Turns out the job might not happen for 3-4 more months if at all. I know i am feeling homesick and i can get over that, but things are not coming together like originally planned and i really do enjoy my life back home with so many friends and family. I see great potential for good opportunities here, but I am lonely here. I am very set on moving back, but I'm so unsure because i know i will move away from my hometown eventually, but i would like to be more independent and established.The dilemma, I'm already here with this opportunity to be moved out,at a young age and great potential to start a whole new life, but I'm not ready to leave my old life behind yet, knowing I'm in the situation i wanna eventually be in(minus a significant other and financial security) am i dumb to waste this opportunity after only giving it 1 month or am i right in wanting to tie loose ends and be back home for another year or so only to move away again with a more established career??
Sounds like you are looking for reassurance to move back home.... go with your gut and move back home.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:58 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkane1990 View Post
Stay where you are. It's only been a month. Jeez.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:01 PM

8,153 posts, read 8,354,049 times
I think you should go back home. There is nothing in the world wrong with ABQ and perhaps you will find a way to grow a career there!

Old 07-23-2015, 01:02 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,572,779 times
24 is young to move out?

Old 07-23-2015, 01:56 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,230,595 times
Stay in Dallas the job market is superb. Apply any and everywhere. Craigslist has been helpful for me and several of my friends. Indeed, Career Builder. Plenty of young people and opportunities. You are young so the time to not be home is right now.

It takes time to find what one really wants to do. but there are plenty of jobs until then. Toyota, Liberty Mutual, State Farm and the other companies relocating here is the writing on the wall. Buckle in and enjoy the ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: