Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 07:54 PM

254 posts, read 433,717 times

Advertisements

Looking to add some light to a family room.

Looking at skylights and solar tubes.

We'd prefer the look of skylight but the cost of a tube:-)

What are your thoughts tube vs skylights.

Feel free to PM any GC recommendations too!

Flower Mound area.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 08:08 PM

19,783 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRNDHOG View Post
Looking to add some light to a family room.

Looking at skylights and solar tubes.

We'd prefer the look of skylight but the cost of a tube:-)

What are your thoughts tube vs skylights.

Feel free to PM any GC recommendations too!

Flower Mound area.

Thanks.
Tubes cost less in part because one installed can cut one in about an hour.

We have two Solartubes in our house and we really like them.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:36 PM

130 posts, read 153,900 times
We plan to do this soon too (Skylight over master-bath and solar-tube in shared bath). From all the research, here's what I've found:

Solar tubes/ Sun Tunnels:

1. Cost effective ($500-$800 installed)
2. Brings in a good amount of light... but could look artificial/ LED like
4. Less chance of leaks/ shattering, due to reduced surface area

Skylights:

1. Could be expensive (>$2k installed)
2. Much more natural and pleasant to look at
3. Prone to leaks or shattering due to hail

check out whyskylights.com for good explanation and local installers.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:01 PM

Thanks!

That's good info! I'll check out the site.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:25 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Tubes cost less in part because one installed can cut one in about an hour.

We have two Solartubes in our house and we really like them.
^^ This.

I have tubes too and am considering adding more of them. They're FANTASTIC.

I know people with skylights and 100% of them either regret having them installed or have considered having them taken out. They all say that the skylights leak. I did a lot of homework on tubes before having them installed 2.5 years ago, and I never heard anyone say that they leaked.

It's also important to get someone who knows what they're doing to install them. Don't cheap out on the labor on this job. They're cutting holes in your roof.

Good luck OP.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:59 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,404,424 times
I have both, and love both. Think of solartubes not as skylights, but rather as regular lights you don't have to pay for. They do not offer views out your roof, and are much brighter than a skylight.

If you are relatively handy, and are cool with crawling around in your roof, you can install solartubes yourself.

If you are worried about hail from a regular skylight, it's easy to buy ones that are hail & hurricane rated, they aren't any more expensive - they just don't sell them in the DFW area and have to be shipped from out of town.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:13 AM

Hey BigD, overdog, and EDS...

Do you guys find your tubes look like giant Recessed Can Lights? We're (okay, my wife) trying to avoid that look as it'll be in the family room.

But I think she much prefers there to be light (like you said overdog, they're more like free lights than they are windows to the sky.

Anyone bold enough to show pictures? :-) Bonus points if you can do before/after! I've found the before/afters on the internet are poor representations or digital renderings, if you will.

Thanks!

Old 08-10-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRNDHOG View Post
Hey BigD, overdog, and EDS...

Do you guys find your tubes look like giant Recessed Can Lights? We're (okay, my wife) trying to avoid that look as it'll be in the family room.

But I think she much prefers there to be light (like you said overdog, they're more like free lights than they are windows to the sky.

Anyone bold enough to show pictures? :-) Bonus points if you can do before/after! I've found the before/afters on the internet are poor representations or digital renderings, if you will.

Thanks!
They sort of look like can lights but mine are not recessed, they're flush with the ceiling.

I don't have a before/after, but I can tell you that prior to having them installed my den was as dark as a cave. Its only source of natural light was a double glass door leading to a covered patio and there was absolutely nowhere in the room where I could have an additional window installed. The only way to get more light in would be to knock down walls or punch holes in the ceiling. I opted for the latter.

And yes, they are not windows to the sky. You don't want to look directly into them. They're pretty awesome when there's a thunderstorm at night and you can see lightning through them.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:39 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,404,424 times
They don't look like can lights, at least mine don't. They look more like big white plates with a glass center, say something like a circular window on an old timey boat or a standard traditional light fixture.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
They don't look like can lights, at least mine don't. They look more like big white plates with a glass center, say something like a circular window on an old timey boat or a standard traditional light fixture.
That's a better description of what mine look like too, thanks TheOverdog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas