Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 11:10 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,487,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
I don't care about the facilitated communication. Saying Dallas proper for locations not in Dallas proper makes no sense.
Is it really that big of a deal?

You can drop a pin on google maps right now anywhere in the Park Cities and it will come up as Dallas, TX. You can send a letter with a Park Cities street address and put Dallas, TX as the city address and the recipient in the Park Cities will get their mail. The Park Cities are surrounded by the city of Dallas, and share more similarities to the Dallas neighborhoods that surround them than to the outer suburbs. You also had someone who grew up there explain this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggierk View Post
Dallas has its own market and does not seem to be tracking rest of teh country.

Huge D-FW home price gains buck national trends | | Dallas Morning News
Wow I didn't realize how small of a difference there was between Dallas ($168,00) and Chicago ($191,000). I'm assuming these are metro numbers not city proper numbers. $168,000 doesn't go too far in Dallas proper. If prices continue to rise we might be more expensive than Chicago by next August.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 09-22-2015 at 11:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 06:39 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,572,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
Is it really that big of a deal?

You can drop a pin on google maps right now anywhere in the Park Cities and it will come up as Dallas, TX. You can send a letter with a Park Cities street address and put Dallas, TX as the city address and the recipient in the Park Cities will get their mail. The Park Cities are surrounded by the city of Dallas, and share more similarities to the Dallas neighborhoods that surround them than to the outer suburbs. You also had someone who grew up there explain this...

Wow I didn't realize how small of a difference there was between Dallas ($168,00) and Chicago ($191,000). I'm assuming these are metro numbers not city proper numbers. $168,000 doesn't go too far in Dallas proper. If prices continue to rise we might be more expensive than Chicago by next August.
You start with a face smack asking if it's a big deal and then provide a paragraph extending the subject. I'm very aware of the letter sending scenario. It's not really a big deal to me, but University nor Highland Park are Dallas proper.

I would like to see a further breakdown of prices compared to Chicago against similar areas of schools/commute etc.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:38 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
It's not really a big deal to me, but University nor Highland Park are Dallas proper.
I agree; they're not Dallas "proper", but they're not suburbs either. I call the Park Cities an "enclave," which I think is a more appropriate description.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Park_Cities,_Texas

Old 09-25-2015, 01:32 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,558,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I agree; they're not Dallas "proper", but they're not suburbs either. I call the Park Cities an "enclave," which I think is a more appropriate description.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Park_Cities,_Texas
Proper or not it's going up.

Still no oil price impact for D-FW real estate | | Dallas Morning News

Old 09-25-2015, 07:16 PM

241 posts, read 382,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
Honest question : why does everyone say Dallas' economy is so tied to oil prices? I understand Houston ... but I've never thought of Dallas as being oil-centric.

Now if the plastic surgery industry tanks, waaaayhaayyulll now we're talkin'...

Old 09-26-2015, 09:05 AM

233 posts, read 303,066 times
:-)

Old 09-27-2015, 11:52 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,558,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telegan View Post
Honest question : why does everyone say Dallas' economy is so tied to oil prices? I understand Houston ... but I've never thought of Dallas as being oil-centric.

Now if the plastic surgery industry tanks, waaaayhaayyulll now we're talkin'...
It's not tied to oil but apparently it's not tied to US economy either.

Old 09-27-2015, 12:15 PM

1,087 posts, read 782,692 times
Dallas area may not be that much tied to oil related employment activities; however when oil price is down, there is an economy wide benefit. There are many non-oil related businesses in Dallas area. American Airline (Toyota USA etc.), for example, will benefit from lower fuel price. In general, when energy cost is down, the economic activities will be up. That's good for real estate, isn't it?

Old 09-27-2015, 01:03 PM

167 posts, read 331,898 times
The Park Cities are closer to all the action in Uptown and Downtown than "Dallas" itself. And no doubt their real estate resilience is second to none.

Old 09-27-2015, 01:29 PM

23,979 posts, read 15,086,618 times
A family member just bought in rIchardson. The wanted east of White a Rock Lake, but they were not willing to want a house badly enough to do something stupid to get it.

Be prepared to go over the asking price on every house you look at, not matter the condition.

He decided the MLS price was a suggestion. The real deal was more like bidding on e-bay.
It took 6 months. By the time the house made the MLS, it was almost sold. Their experienced agent made appointments, they were in the car, by the time they got to the house it was under contract.

They finally said to hell with it and went to the older burbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas