Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 09:53 AM

34 posts, read 47,845 times

Advertisements

Unlike I hear a rosy picture painted from Realtors, whats up selling existing home(s) in Allen? Is existing home sales down in Allen down compared to other cities (Frisco, Plano, etc)?

I have a home with no issue, trying to sell for last few months (ExchangeXAllen Heights) and it would not sell? No issues with home. Multiple showings with just one offer.

Except celebration park, is Allen already lost it charm/hype with No giant retailers (Sams, Costco, etc), Mall with no indoor walk, very poor high school ratings, Unplanned/Crowded outlet mall, issues with foot ball stadium, etc..

Is Allen running behind Frisco, as far as schools, development and future vision from city council? I hear all rosy and empty promises from real estate agents. What is the prospect of selling homes/growth in the Allen if I decide to Rent it out..

Old 09-27-2015, 09:58 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Post a link to Realtor.com so we can see the house.

It's probably overpriced.

Old 09-27-2015, 10:10 AM

34 posts, read 47,845 times
It is not over priced. Several homes got sold in the neighborhood in that price range..

Old 09-27-2015, 10:22 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,817,281 times
Is Allen behind Frisco and Plano? Definitely yes. I've seen some very nice non-overpriced homes get stuck on the market and had to price decrease

Is it that far behind? No. School district is definitely an issue. 1 high school? Cmon now...

Old 09-27-2015, 11:35 AM

233 posts, read 303,020 times
Unfortunately, it's true that they aren't as hot as Frisco and Plano. There are few reasons including commute issues but one of the most important reason is their school district.

High school is over crowded, underperforming and football centered. They don't even have enough class rooms, most high schoolers have a very light load because school can't accommodate everyone for 5 periods let alone 7 as other districts do. Plano even offers optional zero hour period on top of regular 7 periods for students who want to take more courses or leave early. If you don't learn to handle a full highschool load then college becomes a tougher challenge. Allen is homogeneously affluent and has good number of Asian students but district is failing to serve their demographics.

They don't have much corporate presence so tax base in mostly residential. I have no idea how are they going to stay one school town with increasing number of apartment buildings but they already have enough debt so can't see them affording a new school even if they rise above issue of having one football team.

People who want academic rigor, they pick Plano schools, people who want smaller schools, go to Frisco, Allen offers neither.

Last edited by DallasG; 09-27-2015 at 11:46 AM..

Old 09-27-2015, 12:37 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
Allen has been in Plano's shadow for decades now. A same size home, with same lot size, same features, sells for $20-30k less in Allen than it would in Plano.

Problem I've seen with homes in Allen is that they think they can price their homes the same as Plano, and they simply can't, even in a hot market. There are some very nice areas in Allen but it's just never going to have the same appeal as Plano or Frisco. Even McKinney has become viewed as a better area IMO.

Old 09-27-2015, 02:10 PM

233 posts, read 303,020 times
If you need to rent out or sell your home then it's not as easy as it is in Plano and Frisco.

Old 09-27-2015, 04:38 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,817,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasG View Post
High school is over crowded, underperforming and football centered. They don't even have enough class rooms, most high schoolers have a very light load because school can't accommodate everyone for 5 periods let alone 7 as other districts do. Plano even offers optional zero hour period on top of regular 7 periods for students who want to take more courses or leave early. If you don't learn to handle a full highschool load then college becomes a tougher challenge. Allen is homogeneously affluent and has good number of Asian students but district is failing to serve their demographics.

They don't have much corporate presence so tax base in mostly residential. I have no idea how are they going to stay one school town with increasing number of apartment buildings but they already have enough debt so can't see them affording a new school even if they rise above issue of having one football team.

People who want academic rigor, they pick Plano schools, people who want smaller schools, go to Frisco, Allen offers neither.
+1

Just reiterating, but with much detail, what I said above, good post

Old 09-27-2015, 04:38 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo999 View Post
It is not over priced. Several homes got sold in the neighborhood in that price range..
If you've had a lot of showings and only 1 offer then it is over priced compared to what's currently selling.

Old 09-27-2015, 05:27 PM

787 posts, read 1,223,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo999 View Post
Unlike I hear a rosy picture painted from Realtors, whats up selling existing home(s) in Allen? Is existing home sales down in Allen down compared to other cities (Frisco, Plano, etc)?

I have a home with no issue, trying to sell for last few months (ExchangeXAllen Heights) and it would not sell? No issues with home. Multiple showings with just one offer.

Except celebration park, is Allen already lost it charm/hype with No giant retailers (Sams, Costco, etc), Mall with no indoor walk, very poor high school ratings, Unplanned/Crowded outlet mall, issues with foot ball stadium, etc..

Is Allen running behind Frisco, as far as schools, development and future vision from city council? I hear all rosy and empty promises from real estate agents. What is the prospect of selling homes/growth in the Allen if I decide to Rent it out..
News flash - some people think the things you mentioned as "hurting" Allen's appeal are actually pros in the minds of a lot of buyers.

In case you just moved here, malls with 'indoor walks' as you put it are actually passe. In fact, there hasn't been a true 'indoor mall' built in the entire US for over a decade! Stonebriar and Willow Bend were some of the last fully enclosed malls. In that sense, Allen was actually being smarter with their development. They went with Watters Creek and the Village at Allen, both of which are much more modern examples of the evolution of retail and mixed-use development in America.

As far as 'giant retailers,' again, some people don't WANT giant retailers in their town. Sam's Club is so freakin' trashy they can't even maintain their parking lots, carts and trash everywhere. I consider Allen not having it a PRO, as I'm sure others do.

Costco and Sam's are at Spring Creek & 75 in Plano, so if you do want to shop there, they are within 3-5 miles of the most of Allen.

If you think Allen is 'unplanned,' I'd love to see you visit a town with no zoning regulations. Allen has overall been smarter than suburbs of a similar size with their zoning. That's why 75013 is one of the most affluent zip codes in the metroplex.

Yes, there are conflicting opinions on the high school, but clearly some people like it; otherwise, no one would have bought homes there. It's nice they still maintain that unity of a single school across the entire town.

Sounds like you are just upset the house isn't selling for what you want when there are most likely a ton of other variables at play. School has started and you have missed out on the prime selling season. You've either overpriced for the comps and/or your realtor is incompetent.

I don't live in Allen, but I'd certainly move there any day over Frisco. IMO it has more of a small-town feel and HWY 75 is free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas