Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 09:08 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,083,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
I am renting a house and the past 2 months my landlord is constantly calling us and texting us to water their lawn. I wouldn't mind doing it but the problem is that it's coming out of my pocket and I really can't afford to raise my water bill even higher. The lawn, trees, and shrubs aren't dying or anything and there isn't a difference from ours and our neighbors. They have already came 3 times with a hose and watered it for hours but I don't know what to tell them. Is that allowed?

The landlord wants us to water the lawn and in particular the walls and around the driveway due to fear the foundation could get damaged (which it already was before we even got the house). I feel like the landlord is in contact with the neighbors to see if we actually do it because she is always bugging us. There is no mention of it on our lease and we never even talked about it when we initially rent it.
If you cant afford to water the lawn you probably rented too much home. Avoid issues, water the lawn and when your lease expires downgrade to something without land. Thats normal expected maintenance/ cost of living in a house.

That said a lease should stipulate whose responsibility that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 09:42 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,804,442 times
Here is a cut and paste from the Texas contract. As you can see, foundation is actually listed as one of the line items to maintain, paragraph 17, A #12. Lawn is a completely separate item to maintain. You said it's not mentioned in your contract, so what kind of contract did you use?

Can my landlord make me water the lawn?-lawn.jpg

Old 09-30-2015, 12:25 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,789,575 times
Thanks for all the responses guys. I do plan on downgrading but I want to complete my current contract. In regards to watering the lawn, that's something that I have already been doing every 2-3 days. It just seems like I'm wasting water doing it on a daily basis 3-4 hours a day and on top of that watering the driveway and walls. Doesn't make sense but oh well I guess I will do it anyways. I will probably have to take extreme measures and record myself doing it just in case the landlord wants to charge us for foundation repair. And also so I can send her the videos as proof when the landlord is harassing us to water it.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
It just seems like I'm wasting water doing it on a daily basis 3-4 hours a day and on top of that watering the driveway and walls.
You shouldn't be watering 3-4 hours a day, nor should you be watering walls and driveways. You're wasting water right there. Water correctly and your bills will actually be less.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:04 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,556,577 times
So why is the landlord getting all over it? I wouldn't expect you to water every day, except in maybe the hottest part of the summer

Old 09-30-2015, 01:51 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,093,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
So why is the landlord getting all over it? I wouldn't expect you to water every day, except in maybe the hottest part of the summer
...Except I highly doubt it's allowed to water every day, we're on a two day per week here in Prosper, McKinney is the same, I bet most of the other suburbs are similar.

This whole thread seems fishy to me. Complaining about a $10 increase in a watering bill??? I think the OP wasn't watering at all.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:09 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,789,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
...Except I highly doubt it's allowed to water every day, we're on a two day per week here in Prosper, McKinney is the same, I bet most of the other suburbs are similar.

This whole thread seems fishy to me. Complaining about a $10 increase in a watering bill??? I think the OP wasn't watering at all.
Trust me I gain nothing coming here, fabricate a lie, take my time to create a thread and "complain" about my fabricated issue. All I was seeking was input that's it. And thanks again to everyone who responded. Like I said I'm already watering 2-3 times per week. If you think I'm lying then hey that's your opinion but I think every OP on this forum deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Like I responded earlier I will go ahead and water everyday, record it on my phone, and transfer it to my computer. Thanks for letting me know that the landlord can come after us for foundation damage because the foundation on our driveway was already damaged. I guess the most annoying thing about all this is having my landlord calling and texting me and my wife on a regular basis to water the lawn like we're 5 year old kids. It creates arguments between us two and feels like we are being watched at all times. It's an uncomfortable feeling.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:

Like I responded earlier I will go ahead and water everyday...
This will cost you even more money. It's called water restrictions and if you're caught watering when you're not allowed to water, they will fine you and the more times you're caught, the more expensive the fines. You should be watering 2 days a week, and you should call the city to see which days are your days.

Old 10-01-2015, 06:34 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,405,781 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the responses guys. I do plan on downgrading but I want to complete my current contract. In regards to watering the lawn, that's something that I have already been doing every 2-3 days. It just seems like I'm wasting water doing it on a daily basis 3-4 hours a day and on top of that watering the driveway and walls. Doesn't make sense but oh well I guess I will do it anyways. I will probably have to take extreme measures and record myself doing it just in case the landlord wants to charge us for foundation repair. And also so I can send her the videos as proof when the landlord is harassing us to water it.
Your credibility is gone when you say anyone is suggesting you water 3 or 4 hours per day. That is a false premise to try and justify your original post. Grow up and be realistic.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:30 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,556,577 times
Quote:
Actually, outside of Collin County, the water restrictions are quite a bit lighter. For awhile now in Coppell, the only restriction has been no watering between 10am and 6pm, though drip systems and hand watering are allowed during that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas